Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

24 minutes ago, shofmon88 said:

I have.

The fact that I moved to Australia is irrelevant :laughing:

I tried to eat some vegimite once; nasty stuff!! Anyway, how did you end up in the land of the bullroarer and didgeridoo?

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I tried to eat some vegimite once; nasty stuff!! Anyway, how did you end up in the land of the bullroarer and didgeridoo?

I LOVE Vegemite. You gotta do it right, you only want a very very thin layer on some buttered toast. People always put on WAY too much (Aussies actually enjoy watching people spread it on thick like it's Nutella, as they know the show to come...)

I'm down here in drop bear territory getting my PhD in Entomology. Definitely not a professional musician, but hey, I still play tuba in the university's wind symphony.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stu said:

I am really curious if the 75 who have so far indicated in this poll that they would stop going to DCI performances have, in fact, stopped going to DCI performances.  Is there anyway to verify that?

The way you are posting on the subject it appears that you have some type of interest on the subject. Are you a sound eng. for one of these Audio Doping corps?:peek:

24 minutes ago, E3D said:

The way you are posting on the subject it appears that you have some type of interest on the subject. Are you a sound eng. for one of these Audio Doping corps?:peek:

If you had actually read my postings herein and the parallel thread concerning what we can do, you would not have to ask this questiin. My interest is clearly indicated in those postings.

Just now, Stu said:

If you had actually read my postings herein and the parallel thread concerning what we can do, you would not have to ask this questiin. My interest is clearly indicated in those postings.

It's OK to admit it if you are a sound eng. :whistle: I will go read your posts now. 

10 minutes ago, E3D said:

It's OK to admit it if you are a sound eng. :whistle: I will go read your posts now. 

Start with my first post on the bottom of page 8 which is the basis of all my other posts on this subjrct. If you fail to find the answer there on whether or not I am running a sound board for a corps, well... I do not want to insult your reading cspibilities. :ninja:

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Start with my first post on the bottom of page 8 which is the basis of all my other posts on this subjrct. If you fail to find the answer there on whether or not I am running a sound board for a corps, well... I do not want to insult your reading cspibilities. :ninja:

From what I read you are a judge and have read a few books on the physics of sound. :juggle:

What needs to happen is for you to adjudicate the sound from about the 3 row on 40 yard line left or right of the 50. Then get back to me on the physics. :whistle:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shofmon88 said:

I LOVE Vegemite. You gotta do it right, you only want a very very thin layer on some buttered toast. People always put on WAY too much (Aussies actually enjoy watching people spread it on thick like it's Nutella, as they know the show to come...)

I'm down here in drop bear territory getting my PhD in Entomology. Definitely not a professional musician, but hey, I still play tuba in the university's wind symphony.

Had a friend at the University I went to who was from the land down under and he prepared the sandwich for me; and it was nasty. Also had a friend from the US who knew how to prepare Mountain Oysters, tried them, also nasty. But maybe if I tried Vegimite on Mountain Oysters....

Cool that you are getting your PHD; your specialized choice would sort of bug me, but I am sure you enjoy it. How did you arrive at the idea to receive your education there in Australia?

2 minutes ago, E3D said:

From what I read you are a judge and have read a few books on the physics of sound. :juggle:

What needs to happen is for you to adjudicate the sound from about the 3 row on 40 yard line left or right of the 50. Then get back to me on the physics. :whistle:

While I do not really need to spout off my credentials to you, suffice it to say that I am a judge who has both education and experience in acoustical engineering. So whistle out of your... all you want; humans certainly can differentiate acoustic sound apart from amplified sound and can differentiate moving sound apart from stationary sound.

• Like 1

Just now, Stu said:

While I do not really need to spout off my credentials to you, suffice it to say that I am a judge who has both education and experience in acoustical engineering. So whistle out of your... all you want; humans certainly can differentiate acoustic sound apart from amplified sound and can differentiate moving sound apart from stationary sound.

I was not discussing or disagreeing that point with you. Point is / was and still is - That it does not sound right and makes it difficult to determine where the people are who are actually playing music. Alt point is that how do you really know it is live sound / music after it has passed through your sound board or mixing. Could it not have been a recording mixed in?

If your credentials and edumication allows you to tell the difference between what has been recorded and what is being played live after passing through amplification and mixing then you're like the IBM Watson of music. 

:whistle::peek:

• Like 1