Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

So, those 79 are in fact being honest and no longer attending shows? Really? Also, your response indicates once again that you likely did not read the posting because the 79 remark had nothing to do with either point A or point B.

You accused me of not reading. Go back up and read the question and read the poll answer. It does not say they are no longer attending shows now. 

8 minutes ago, gak27 said:

Way back in the day, cassette tapes lived and thrived (including being recorded upon at DCI shows by the adoring public :lle:).  Memorex was a leading brand with the marketing slogan "Is it live or is it Memorex?":

Memorex commercial

Lol, this is before my day, which is why it went completely over my head. Thanks for the explanation

15 minutes ago, E3D said:

I tried to give apologies. I think it was my emoji's and when I thought he might be a sound mixAlot for one of the corps that got the rankles up. 

Anyhow the numbers on the poll was a seperate question which the Judge brought up previously. I answered it as an aside. But yet the judge feels the need to point out that it has nothing to do with A or B. 

so back to your post Cappy - my only point was that I can't tell if something is live or mixed or pre-recorded. 

Lol thank you for the clarification. 

Personally, I disagree as I can tell the difference from the few DCI shows I've gone to live. Hell, even from a YouTube video you can tell the difference. But I'm not here to tell you what your ears are or aren't hearing. 

Rest assured, you do not need Stu's background to know that there indeed are distinct differences in the PHYSICAL characteristics of acoustic vs amplified sound. Whether you personally can perceive that difference is another matter

Edited by Cappybara

15 minutes ago, E3D said:

You accused me of not reading. Go back up and read the question and read the poll answer. It does not say they are no longer attending shows now. 

So, the fifth choice, the one that states that they think they would indeed stop going to shows if brass lines are amped does not mean they are being hypocritical if they continue to go to shows now that brass amplification is a reality. Well... okey dokey then.

Edited by Stu

39 minutes ago, E3D said:

Do you know where I can read the rule on this>

Actually, I just found a rules proposal for 2016 and I see the change so I was wrong. I missed it because it didn’t address amplified brass specifically, it’s a catch all rule that states ‘any equipment that is allowed on the competitive field may be amplified’

It’s on Page 3 in the link, guessing it passed

rules proposal 2016

1 hour ago, E3D said:

Does anyone have the DCI rules on amplification and mixing? 

1 hour ago, brians said:

so right to the point, should a corps get as much credit/equal credit if they are miking more than just small ensembles or soloists?  Ie... should corps who are using mikes on their entire horn line, or select individuals to enhance sound for greatest impact/blend/balance etc.... be rewarded as much as purely acoustic playing which relies more on human ability rather than a mixing board?  I contend if the answer to the later is yes, then all horns should be miked or it is simply not a level playing field. 

I don't think there are any rules regarding mikes, amps, etc...., I have never seen them. Does DCI really follow any rules right now? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brians said:

I don't think there are any rules regarding mikes, amps, etc...., I have never seen them. Does DCI really follow any rules right now? 

They technically do have a rulebook, but it cannot be publicly viewed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brians said:

I mean in addition to the lack of rules on this topic, do they even enforce or follow other rules.  For instance, at De Kalb the other night, during the cadets show there clearly was a drum line warming up extremely close to the stadium which clearly interfered with the Cadets show during their show.  (this was not some off in the distance drum line warming up, it sounded like it was actually in the gate area entering the stadium)  If I am not mistaken, according to the rules, there should have been a penalty given to the corps who was warming up their drums this close so as to significantly interfere with the on going cadets show. 

7 minutes ago, brians said:

I mean in addition to the lack of rules on this topic, do they even enforce or follow other rules.  For instance, at De Kalb the other night, during the cadets show there clearly was a drum line warming up extremely close to the stadium which clearly interfered with the Cadets show during their show.  (this was not some off in the distance drum line warming up, it sounded like it was actually in the gate area entering the stadium)  If I am not mistaken, according to the rules, there should have been a penalty given to the corps who was warming up their drums this close so as to significantly interfere with the on going cadets show. 

According to Kemp, chief judge at DeKalb, and Moyer, penalties judge at DeKalb, there was nothing that significantly interfered with the adjudication of any corps performance. And it certainly appears by your postings, not only about DeKalb but about all DCI rules an subsiquent enforcements or lack thereof, that you truley believe the people involved in adjudicating DCI events lack integrity and honesty. Well, one of the benefits of freedom is that you are entitled to your opinion, whether valid or not.

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

According to Kemp, chief judge at DeKalb, and Moyer, penalties judge at DeKalb, there was nothing that significantly interfered with the adjudication of any corps performance. And it certainly appears by your postings, not only about DeKalb but about all DCI rules an subsiquent enforcements or lack thereof, that you truley believe the people involved in adjudicating DCI events lack integrity and honesty. Well, one of the benefits of freedom is that you are entitled to your opinion, whether valid or not.

well, I was sitting just a few rows down from the chief judge, and I can tell you it did interfere with the cadets show.  So much so that several individuals sitting next to, in front and behind me made verbal comments about how that drum line needed to stop because they could not hear the show.  If the chief judge did not hear this or felt there was nothing that interfered with the show....well, that explains a whole lot to me regarding how  judges actually are hearing/ horn intonation, MA, GE music, volume, enhanced sound vs acoustic sound etc... that is if they actually can hear it over the drums warming up. 

Edited by brians
  • Like 1