Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

1 minute ago, Treefidy said:

Because your opinion of it sucks?

No...woven into the fabric of this harsh amp'd brass existence was great music as we knew it...gone with the wind...

• Like 1

Just now, Liahona said:

No...woven into the fabric of this harsh amp'd brass existence was great music as we knew it...gone with the wind...

Again, your opinion and it's one of the few on this side of the argument...

Just now, Treefidy said:

fake news

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Liahona said:

What is the point and to what end?...not very inspiring to me at all...

As I wrote in an earlier post:

cant disagree, I am all for "anything goes" no governing rules for the activity,  just mike all horns and drums and blast the hell out of the audience, just so  its clear that this is ok for all and is an accepted adjudication standard for horn and overall judging.  (as seems to be the case already in the void of no stated standards now)  And by the way, do this with as few playing members as possible (what ever fewest acceptable would actually mean) This might actually give talented smaller corps a chance to compete against larger member corps

5 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

"Everyone's opinion sucks except mine"

very insightful

• Like 1

My vote back then still stands. I believe only the mms should be part of the ensemble generating the field show as we experience it. Sound technicicians if used should be mms and not paid professionals. If this limits electronic use, dump it.

However, there is also another option which is to adopt one of the original discussed G7 proposals to change the classification of  DCI corps to those using electronics, lighting effects, etc. and those corps which would only be music and visual as we knew them before the adoption of electronics whether percussion or mics.  (I'm not certain that this G7 discussion made it to the written proposals from Mr.Gibbs and Mr. Hopkins.) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, xandandl said:

My vote back then still stands. I believe only the mms should be part of the ensemble generating the field show as we experience it. Sound technicicians if used should be mms and not paid professionals. If this limits electronic use, dump it.

However, there is also another option which is to adopt one of the original discussed G7 proposals to change the classification of  DCI corps to those using electronics, lighting effects, etc. and those corps which would only be music and visual as we knew them before the adoption of electronics whether percussion or mics.  (I'm not certain that this G7 discussion made it to the written proposals from Mr.Gibbs and Mr. Hopkins.) 

I agree with you 100%. I support the idea of separating corps into the two categories of "Drum Corps" and "Marching Show Choir." Let the latter adopt the "improvements" of woodwinds, amplified brass, and laser lights. Letting at 30-year-old fat guy control half the sound coming off the field defeats the purpose of a "youth activity" - why limit the age of any member of the group?

• Like 1

Jim Ott is crying in heaven.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I agree with you on SCV completely. There is something deceptive or dare I say "morally" wrong with micing your best players to play intricate parts and trying to pass that off as the full ensemble playing together. 

One could argue that they're solos, but I really don't see it that way because they would be highlighted visually if that was the case

Haha!

They're not trying to pass that off as the full ensemble, they're micing for staging reasons, so that those voices can be heard; just like many on here cited as a reason to mic the corps in the first place!  

...and they ARE highlighted visually.  They're playing on the circular props when they're mic'd. They're facing away from the audience around the circular props when the mics are on...  It's all very clearly laid out, especially if one has seen them live and can look and see what's happening visually while those mic's are on.  The small ensemble is being featured.

When they're not being featured, the sound doesn't go through the mic.

This is totally different than what Phantom is doing, which is just putting a bunch of mics on the front of the field to put the entire hornline through the PA system...

Cavaliers are micing and putting effects on small ensembles and duets.

Mandarins are too.

Blue Knights are micing brass AND even a snare...

Then we have BD and Bluecoats, who are micing solos all over the place too.

So, SCV isn't doing anything that other corps aren't doing; and they're making sure it is highlighted visually as well.

• Like 2