Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

45 minutes ago, brians said:

well, I was sitting just a few rows down from the chief judge, and I can tell you it did interfere with the cadets show.  So much so that several individuals sitting next to, in front and behind me made verbal comments about how that drum line needed to stop because they could not hear the show.  If the chief judge did not hear this or felt there was nothing that interfered with the show....well, that explains a whole lot to me regarding how  judges actually are hearing/ horn intonation, MA, GE music, volume, enhanced sound vs acoustic sound etc... that is if they actually can hear it over the drums warming up. 

Well, it matters not what the audience in your area believes should be determined as an interruption.  What matters is this: Is it a situation where 'one or more of the actual judges' determine that they cannot do their jobs effectively and fairly?  If so, they will inform the chief judge who will in turn inform the penalty judge.  If not, then there is absolutely and unequivocally ‘no interruption’ in which to assess a penalty.  And by your response you have confirmed that you believe not only Kemp and Moyer, but also Kuhn, Fugett, Adamo, Nguyen, Argul, Rothe, and Romanowski all lack integrity and honesty in this matter.  At least we have that straight now.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

They technically do have a rulebook, but it cannot be publicly viewed.

Which for the life of me I don't understand. :crazy:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stu said:

Well, it matters not what the audience in your area believes should be determined as an interruption.  What matters is this: Is it a situation where 'one or more of the actual judges' determine that they cannot do their jobs effectively and fairly?  If so, they will inform the chief judge who will in turn inform the penalty judge.  If not, then there is absolutely and unequivocally ‘no interruption’ in which to assess a penalty.  And by your response you have confirmed that you believe not only Kemp and Moyer, but also Kuhn, Fugett, Adamo, Nguyen, Argul, Rothe, and Romanowski all lack integrity and honesty in this matter.  At least we have that straight now.

exactly, no ones reality really matters, just a select few who have alternative realities to their benefit. kind of like hearing real horns vs. alternative horns.   I cant speak to the judges honesty or integrity, but I am glad it seems to be nice and straight in your mind.

Edited by brians
  • Like 1

Just now, Liahona said:

I don't understand it either. All four of the major American professional sports leagues' rulebooks can be found on their websites. Even BOA and, to an extent, WGI publish their handbooks for the world to see. Just because DCI is the "big leagues" of the outdoor marching world, doesn't mean we don't have the right to see the rules that govern the organization.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cowtown said:

Actually, I just found a rules proposal for 2016 and I see the change so I was wrong. I missed it because it didn’t address amplified brass specifically, it’s a catch all rule that states ‘any equipment that is allowed on the competitive field may be amplified’

It’s on Page 3 in the link, guessing it passed

rules proposal 2016

Thank you. 

9 minutes ago, Liahona said:

If it is DCI that explains it. Also explains as brianS has said in the thread ....."says a great deal about the judging"

12 minutes ago, brians said:

exactly, no ones reality really matters, just a select few who have alternative realities to their benefit. kind of like hearing real horns vs. alternative horns.   I cant speak to the judges honesty or integrity, but I am glad it seems to be nice and straight in your mind.

Makes no sense at all. 

The performers believe there is interference but if the judges have no ears then of course it is not interference because they said so. 

Edited by E3D

1 hour ago, brians said:

You “Perception is the only form of Reality” folks certainly are among the greatest jesters ever placed here on this earth; I will give you that.  But as for my character assessment of those who judge in DCI, it is straight in my mind not out of my delusional perception reality, but based on the fact that I have personally known, in actual reality, many of the adjudicators for many years; and I can attest that they do indeed bleed integrity and honesty.

Edited by Stu

23 minutes ago, E3D said:

If it is DCI that explains it. Also explains as brianS has said in the thread ....."says a great deal about the judging"

Ummm.... since the inception of DCI in 1972, DCI has actually been 'the voting member corps' as opposed to an independent body; those corps have always set and altered the rules according to their pleasure; that those corps have also always set the training and sheet interpretive standards for adjudicating.

22 minutes ago, E3D said:

Makes no sense at all. 

The performers believe there is interference but if the judges have no ears then of course it is not interference because they said so. 

Where has there been statement of proof that the 'performers' on the field in DeKalb thought there was interference, and a statement of proof that the judges were daft?  All that has been presented here is in the 'opinion' of one person who was sitting in the stands where external sound was bothersome to that person and maybe a few around the same area of the stands.  And by the way, interference actually is determined by the judges; not the performers, and certainly not by the audience.