Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

...and incidentally, I don't love it, but this is where the slippery slope has finally taken us...

25 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

"Everyone's opinion sucks except mine"

very insightful

You sound upset...

It would be more proper had you phrased it "My opinion and the four of us that share it, have an opinion that sucks"

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

What is the point and to what end?...not very inspiring to me at all...

as it stands now, an ensemble of lets say 20-30 horns could be amped, the volume turned up,  and with the appropriate samples, sound like an 80 member horn line.  In theory, they should be judged accordingly.... like an 80 member sounding horn line.  Their GE music, ensemble score, MA score etc... should not be affected since the volume etc... would be no different than an 80 member line.  (BTW,.. this could also be applied to having less drums as well.)  The difference in members could be applied to more guard for greater visual GE effect... the place where most of the points are anyway. Need more volume, just turn up the amps, part too difficult, just softly play over the sample, etc.....

Edited by brians

54 minutes ago, brians said:

...I am all for "anything goes" no governing rules for the activity, ...and is an accepted adjudication standard for horn and overall judging.

So, you are for anything goes, no rules for the activity, yet with accepted adjudication standards for horn and overall judging.  Think about that for a moment, just think..... and then try and spin your way out of that paradox.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

Because your opinion of it sucks?

lost ehhe

41 minutes ago, brians said:

as it stands now, an ensemble of lets say 20-30 horns could be amped, the volume turned up,  and with the appropriate samples, sound like an 80 member horn line.  In theory, they should be judged accordingly.... like an 80 member sounding horn line.  Their GE music, ensemble score, MA score etc... should not be affected since the volume etc... would be no different than an 80 member line.  (BTW,.. this could also be applied to having less drums as well.)  The difference in members could be applied to more guard for greater visual GE effect... the place where most of the points are anyway. Need more volume, just turn up the amps, part too difficult, just softly play over the sample, etc.....

You would have to also apply this same reasoning to visual.  Let's say a 20 member dance line is sampled and a trio of 3D Holograms are created then projected on the field in order to look like an 80 member dance line.  For you to be consistent, the 20 dance members projected to appear to be 80 should also be judged identically to an actual 80 member dance team, with their GE, Ensemble, and Analysis unaffected by the projections, and it would therefore be no different than an 80 member line.

The problem with this, and it also the same problem with the horn example, is that the synchronization look, feel, and in the case of horns, sound are vastly different between 20 digitally expanded performers to appear to be 80 as opposed to an actual and real set of 80 performers.  Not only is way easier to clean the execution of 20 as it is for 80; but you would thus be rewarding the creator of the protection designs, combined with the sound sound and visual engineers, not the additional 60 virtual-performers created in the illusion.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Stu said:

So, you are for anything goes, no rules for the activity, yet with accepted adjudication standards for horn and overall judging.  Think about that for a moment, just think..... and then try and spin your way out of that paradox.

well, as things are now, I don't believe the same rules apply to all corps equally regarding this matter.  ie.... if a small ensemble went out there and amped up their sound to be that of a 80 person horn line, I am not sure they would be adjudicated as such.  Which in theory, they should be.  IF you close your  eyes and purely judge on the music and sound only.  conversely, I am not sure a non amped corps gets  lower music scores because they don't sound as loud during impact moments as a smaller or less talented amped and sampled corps. The point being, if we are going to have rules, they need to be applied equally.   This is ultimately the choice, rules or no rules regarding this matter

Edited by brians

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

You would have to also apply this same reasoning to visual.  Let's say a 20 member dance line is sampled and a trio of 3D Holograms are created then projected on the field in order to look like an 80 member dance line.  For you to be consistent, the 20 dance members projected to appear to be 80 should also be judged identically to an actual 80 member dance team, with their GE, Ensemble, and Analysis unaffected by the projections, and it would therefore be no different than an 80 member line.

The problem with this, and it also the same problem with the horn example, is that the synchronization look, feel, and in the case of horns, sound are vastly different between 20 digitally expanded performers to appear to be 80 as opposed to an actual and real set of 80 performers.  Not only is way easier to clean the execution of 20 as it is for 80; but you would thus be rewarding the creator of the protection designs, combined with the sound sound and visual engineers, not the additional 60 virtual-performers created in the illusion.

exactly! thus the problem.  and who is to say it looks and feels better or worse....  and is it better or worse, or actually to the letter of the sheets, better?

Edited by brians

1 hour ago, Treefidy said:

You sound upset...

It would be more proper had you phrased it "My opinion and the four of us that share it, have an opinion that sucks"

No I just think it's funny you think you're some moral authority on opinions