Amping the brass line

211 members have voted

1. 1. We've amped the pit to allow for more subtle technique, we've amped some soloists to better balance with the rest of the corps. If corps started miking the entire brass line to improve balance, allow for better technique, etc, would you support...

• Sounds like a great idea! I think it would improve the experience for me.
    • If corps want to try it, more power to them.
    • I would support it if better equipment (PAs, mixers, mikes) were used.
    • I would complain about it, but let's be honest, I'm not going to stop going to shows because of it.
    • Terrible idea! It would bother me so much, I think I would stop going to shows.

8 minutes ago, brians said:

well, I don't believe the same rules apply to all corps equally regarding this matter.  ie.... if a small ensemble went out there and amped up their sound to be that of a 80 person horn line, I am not sure they would be adjudicated as such.  Which in theory, they should be.  IF you close your  eyes and purely judge on the music and sound only.  conversely, I am not sure a non amped corps gets  lower music scores because they don't sound as loud during impact moments as a smaller amped and sampled corps. The point being, if we are going to have rules, they need to be applied equally.   This is ultimately the choice, rules or no rules regarding this matter

As I thought would happen, with your extended spin you failed to resolve the paradox you created for yourself in the previous post; so I will ask it this way: Do you want anything goes or rules?

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

No I just think it's funny you think you're some moral authority on opinions

Oh I definitely don't think I'm an authority on anything...

You're just wrong. Period.

13 minutes ago, brians said:

exactly! thus the problem.  and who is to say it looks and feels better or worse....  and is it better or worse, or actually to the letter of the sheets, better?

Who defines the criteria? The DCI rules committee (ie the directors of the member corps). Who decides which corps sound is better and which is worse? The DCI judges. Are both of those subjective? Yep. Are both of those fair? Yep. Why? Because it is their sandbox that we are allowed to enjoy, and they get to set the standards in their own sandbox.

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

As I thought would happen, with your extended spin you failed to resolve the paradox you created for yourself in the previous post; so I will ask it this way: Do you want anything goes or rules?

Ahh how to live within the paradox.... the greatest question of the human experience...the 3rd way

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Who defines the criteria? The DCI rules committee (ie the directors of the member corps). Who decides which corps sound is better and which is worse? The DCI judges. Are both of those subjective? Yep. Are both of those fair? Yep. Why? Because it is their sandbox that we are allowed to enjoy, and they get to set the standards in their own sandbox.

however,  accord to the poll only less than a quarter endorse what they are doing. A full 80 per cent don't like it and are considering their future attendance at shows, some tentatively, some more negatively.

Having actually sat in on DCi board meetings as a voting alternate, I know that one thing that DCI BoD and corps directors listen to is where is their money coming from?

The negativity of the poll answers as it relates to money (all year donations, ticket sales, souvie sales,etc.) may bear some influence even with the lobbyists dangling the carrots (and not just for Academy.)

40 minutes ago, brians said:

well, as things are now, I don't believe the same rules apply to all corps equally regarding this matter.  ie.... if a small ensemble went out there and amped up their sound to be that of a 80 person horn line, I am not sure they would be adjudicated as such.  Which in theory, they should be.  IF you close your  eyes and purely judge on the music and sound only.  conversely, I am not sure a non amped corps gets  lower music scores because they don't sound as loud during impact moments as a smaller or less talented amped and sampled corps. The point being, if we are going to have rules, they need to be applied equally.   This is ultimately the choice, rules or no rules regarding this matter

Because they are not the same!!! Why? Basic Acoustical Physics is the answer.  An acoustic piano, for instance, sounds different live with no alteration compared to one which is playing into a microphone and converted to an amplified reproduction of sound.  Moreover, to put it in ensemble terms, four acoustic pianos resonating acoustic waves directly to the audience sounds vastly different than two pianos going into microphones, being converted to electric pulse, going through a converter which digitally splits the two into four separate tracks, add in a little sound delay and other nuances to enhance the illusion that there are four, transmitted to an amplifier, then a cone or other material converts those electrical pulses to material vibrations which is then transmits an interpreted sound emulating the pianos to the audience.  This also apples to Brass Instruments!!!  Again, basic acoustical physical variations which are certainly distinguishable by the human ear is why they are not the same.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, brians said:

Ahh how to live within the paradox.... the greatest question of the human experience...the 3rd way

Yep, and the third way exists a self-created theoretical virtual world human experience where no resolution is required.  In theory, the paradox of never being able to arrive at your destination exists, for to get there you must travel through an 'infinite number' of half-distances.  And for you, since you fail to answer a simple question concerning anything goes verses rules, it certainly appears that you cannot get past those infinite numbers of half distances in order to resolve your paradox in the real, not virtual, world. Or... will ya just answer the simple question?

44 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

Oh I definitely don't think I'm an authority on anything...

You're just wrong. Period.

:laughing:

37 minutes ago, xandandl said:

however,  accord to the poll only less than a quarter endorse what they are doing. A full 80 per cent don't like it and are considering their future attendance at shows, some tentatively, some more negatively.

Having actually sat in on DCi board meetings as a voting alternate, I know that one thing that DCI BoD and corps directors listen to is where is their money coming from?

The negativity of the poll answers as it relates to money (all year donations, ticket sales, souvie sales,etc.) may bear some influence even with the lobbyists dangling the carrots (and not just for Academy.)

But...

a) the posters here on DCP are a select few grumps who really do not represent anywhere close to the varied demographics of the general audience;

b) neither we on DCP nor the general audience define the sheet criteria, nor do we officially adjudicate; and

c) for your premise to come to pass, that the negative poll numbers here on DCP (in which 41% claim they will stop going to DCI shows) is legitimate, Lucas Oil stadium needs to be around 41% less in Finals ticket sales this year than they were in 2011, when this poll first came out, in order to reflect the validity of the poll; which in turn if that comes to pass it will put a huge financial dent into the design direction of DCI corps shows.

Edited by Stu