CYO show

Just got home from the show. Very nice stadium and well run show (except for the sound system).

I was surprised by most every corps there, in a good way. Some brief thoughts...

Crown - you sound like velvet, simply amazing hornline - that alone should have had you on top by at least 5 points. My friend said, rightly so, that they should get an 85 tonight but the judges won't be brave enough, which they weren't, Major improvement in the drumline, guard and guard placement over last year. The show flows so well musically which is amazing based on the extremes of types of musis they are playing. And they book around the field and are as spread out as last year at times and stay clean and together - how do they do that? A VERY difficult music book without the slightest bit of cross tempos throughout - WOW!!! Every aspect of this corps was points ahead of everyone else tonight.

Madison - welcome back boys!! Had enough of the old Madison masculinity without going overboard (like I personally feel they have been at times in the past). A lot of difficult separation between voices and parts of the percussion line. It worked very well at times but there are a number of very noticable cross tempos that they'll need to fix to stay where they are currently ranked. Transitions in the show are well thought out and executed. I agree with Musicman that the 911 acting was a bit cheesy - I'd go as far as to say there was a lot of overacting that made what could have been a very emotional moment somewhat uncomfortable. But all in all, a major improvement and welcome return.

Boston - Great sound from the hornline except for the trumpets when they get in the upper register. Drums were quite good but snares seem to be pitched too high. They had several parts where the drumline and hornline are far apart and stay very much together. There is one point where the hornline is marching and playing toward the right sideline while the drums are marching toward the left sideline and playing facing back WITH NOONE CONDUCTING THEM and they were perfectly in synch - WOW!! I agree too with Musicman that the 300 yards of netting offers little visual impact and the rest of the visual just stops around it. But that mello solist was fantastic and the trumpet solist held his own as well. Fix the visual and you're in finals - don't fix it and you will probably just barely make it mostly on the music performance and decent guard. As a whole though, Boston and Surf were the only corps that I felt were not as good as last year at this time.

Spirit - My friends liked the show better than me, but I still feel this corps is miles ahead of where they have been in recent years and the show is so much more entertaining and easy to get. Guard is very strong and horns have some amazing parts, at times. But there are also a lot of long held notes that are likely going to keep their scores down - this is not to take away from the amazing notes they play, at times. Horn sound was also a bit stident at times, maybe some overblowing that should improve as they get more comfortable with the drill. Drumline is the weakest part of this corps as you could hear how sqaure they are playing compared to Crossmen. Marching technique will also haunt them if they don't clean it up - individual marching styles vaaried greatly and upper body carriage was some of the worst of the night. But they are Spirit of Atlanta again and welcome back!!!

Crossmen - WOW! They probably have improved as much over last year as Madison and, like Madison and Spirit, are Bones once again!! When others say that they drumline has regained it's groove, they aren't kidding. I'd have placed them second begind Crown in drums (no recaps up yet to see what the judges felt). Show design was wondeful, again probably second behind Crown in my opinion. It didn't need a story or props, it was just good old drum corps tunes arrange masterfully by Chuck Naffier (welcome back) and Lee and Andrew have wirtten some pretty slick percussion parts as well. Hallelujah took my breath away!!! Guard is very competent, placed well in the drill, and had probably the best outfits of the night (when you see them, notice how the band that goes across their waists and the slash that swoops down in the front create a subtle maltese cross. Clever design. Welcome back Bones.

Surf - Love the music and arrangements - a fun show. Guard is strong and sells the program well. Some problems in the lower mid voices that are lagging behind the rest of the horns. But in general, the horns seem to be the one thing that makes this corps a bit under last year. And like Musicman said, there's a lot to clean up visually but that seems to be the standard for this corps - to be dirty visually around now but to really clean it up by finals. Hope they can do it again.

Spartans - yet another corps to say welcome back to. Another significant improvement over last year and they seem to almost be ready to take that leap to compete for the Open title - but probably not this year as the hornline will hold them back. Horns sounded like G bugles (not sure if they are or not) and had that somewhat brash, overblown sound. Guard is very strong and druline are holding their own. Nice enegry to their music that kept you engaged throughout. Their music has been a bit dry for my tastes at times in their hayday but this show was anything but dry. Nice job.

Can't wait to see it all again tomorrow in Lynn and Sunday in Bristol, RI.

• Like 4

Just got home from the show. Very nice stadium and well run show (except for the sound system).

I was surprised by most every corps there, in a good way. Some brief thoughts...

Crown - you sound like velvet, simply amazing hornline - that alone should have had you on top by at least 5 points. My friend said, rightly so, that they should get an 85 tonight but the judges won't be brave enough, which they weren't, Major improvement in the drumline, guard and guard placement over last year. The show flows so well musically which is amazing based on the extremes of types of musis they are playing. And they book around the field and are as spread out as last year at times and stay clean and together - how do they do that? A VERY difficult music book without the slightest bit of cross tempos throughout - WOW!!! Every aspect of this corps was points ahead of everyone else tonight.

Madison - welcome back boys!! Had enough of the old Madison masculinity without going overboard (like I personally feel they have been at times in the past). A lot of difficult separation between voices and parts of the percussion line. It worked very well at times but there are a number of very noticable cross tempos that they'll need to fix to stay where they are currently ranked. Transitions in the show are well thought out and executed. I agree with Musicman that the 911 acting was a bit cheesy - I'd go as far as to say there was a lot of overacting that made what could have been a very emotional moment somewhat uncomfortable. But all in all, a major improvement and welcome return.

Boston - Great sound from the hornline except for the trumpets when they get in the upper register. Drums were quite good but snares seem to be pitched too high. They had several parts where the drumline and hornline are far apart and stay very much together. There is one point where the hornline is marching and playing toward the right sideline while the drums are marching toward the left sideline and playing facing back WITH NOONE CONDUCTING THEM and they were perfectly in synch - WOW!! I agree too with Musicman that the 300 yards of netting offers little visual impact and the rest of the visual just stops around it. But that mello solist was fantastic and the trumpet solist held his own as well. Fix the visual and you're in finals - don't fix it and you will probably just barely make it mostly on the music performance and decent guard. As a whole though, Boston and Surf were the only corps that I felt were not as good as last year at this time.

Spirit - My friends liked the show better than me, but I still feel this corps is miles ahead of where they have been in recent years and the show is so much more entertaining and easy to get. Guard is very strong and horns have some amazing parts, at times. But there are also a lot of long held notes that are likely going to keep their scores down - this is not to take away from the amazing notes they play, at times. Horn sound was also a bit stident at times, maybe some overblowing that should improve as they get more comfortable with the drill. Drumline is the weakest part of this corps as you could hear how sqaure they are playing compared to Crossmen. Marching technique will also haunt them if they don't clean it up - individual marching styles vaaried greatly and upper body carriage was some of the worst of the night. But they are Spirit of Atlanta again and welcome back!!!

Crossmen - WOW! They probably have improved as much over last year as Madison and, like Madison and Spirit, are Bones once again!! When others say that they drumline has regained it's groove, they aren't kidding. I'd have placed them second begind Crown in drums (no recaps up yet to see what the judges felt). Show design was wondeful, again probably second behind Crown in my opinion. It didn't need a story or props, it was just good old drum corps tunes arrange masterfully by Chuck Naffier (welcome back) and Lee and Andrew have wirtten some pretty slick percussion parts as well. Hallelujah took my breath away!!! Guard is very competent, placed well in the drill, and had probably the best outfits of the night (when you see them, notice how the band that goes across their waists and the slash that swoops down in the front create a subtle maltese cross. Clever design. Welcome back Bones.

Surf - Love the music and arrangements - a fun show. Guard is strong and sells the program well. Some problems in the lower mid voices that are lagging behind the rest of the horns. But in general, the horns seem to be the one thing that makes this corps a bit under last year. And like Musicman said, there's a lot to clean up visually but that seems to be the standard for this corps - to be dirty visually around now but to really clean it up by finals. Hope they can do it again.

Spartans - yet another corps to say welcome back to. Another significant improvement over last year and they seem to almost be ready to take that leap to compete for the Open title - but probably not this year as the hornline will hold them back. Horns sounded like G bugles (not sure if they are or not) and had that somewhat brash, overblown sound. Guard is very strong and druline are holding their own. Nice enegry to their music that kept you engaged throughout. Their music has been a bit dry for my tastes at times in their hayday but this show was anything but dry. Nice job.

Can't wait to see it all again tomorrow in Lynn and Sunday in Bristol, RI.

Thanks for the review! Nice to know it was a good show

One more thanks from a corps dad. We stand by for updates every night!

Thanks again!!

Ditto :thumbup:

Thanks for the review! Nice to know it was a good show

In a nutshell, it was an entertaining night as all the Corps had things they did that made it entertaining.' Not a boring show in the mix of Corps at all tonight, imo.

I also agreed with both the scores, as well as the spreads tonite. ( ' been a long time that thats happened for me ).

• Like 1

Wife again: Retreat was nice. Each corps played a song before they left the field. Spirit played "Georgia". Madison played "You'll Never Walk Alone". Crown went right up to the fence and played "Bohemian Rhapsody". The crowd went nuts! Wanted them to play more.

• Like 1

But that mello solist was fantastic

Did they change from baritone to mello?

As a whole though, Boston and Surf were the only corps that I felt were not as good as last year at this time."

Unfortunately this is my same impression.

why was there a full retreat??? anyone know?

Maybe to honor the tradition of the old CYO nationals??