Question for the Guard fans, and/ or show design fans on here:

As usual, the Cavaliers have a terrific Guard once again this year.I am intrigued by the unusual use of stilts by the Cavaliers Guard in their show this year. Its impressive how they use them. But I have no idea what it is suppposed to convey to the audience. Can anybody else help me out on this ? I have to believe I'm not the only one that is " not getting it " regarding the significance of the stilts to the theme messaging.

What am I supposed to be receiving as the theme messaging regarding the use of stilts ? Or is there simply no significance to the use of stilts in the show's theme ? ( which they walk on wonderfully by the way, imo. )

Edited by BRASSO

i definetely agree that the Blue Devils are the only guard selling their show right now, but that's a given seeing that the whole corps' are masters in execution. i feel like other guards aren't as into their shows like BD is, and you can tell because of their FACIALS!!!! thats right! people actually look at that!

I never look at "FACIALS" or facial expressions in the guard. They're too far away to be seen clearly and have to be overdone to be noticed. It doesn't look natural in person.

Question for the Guard fans, and/ or show design fans on here:

As usual, the Cavaliers have a terrific Guard once again this year.I am intrigued by the unusual use of stilts by the Cavaliers Guard in their show this year. Its impressive how they use them. But I have no idea what it is suppposed to convey to the audience. Can anybody else help me out on this ? I have to believe I'm not the only one that is " not getting it " regarding the significance of the stilts to the theme messaging.

What am I supposed to be receiving as the theme messaging regarding the use of stilts ? Or is there simply no significance to the use of stilts in the show's theme ? ( which they walk on wonderfully by the way, imo. )

My impression was that the people on the stilts were like the extraordinary overlords watching over everyone else.

At the beginning section of the show you only see one. Later, there are more and more "extraordinary" members who participate more fully and integrate with the rest of the corps....

Something like that is my take on them! tongue.gif

My impression was that the people on the stilts were like the extraordinary overlords watching over everyone else.

At the beginning section of the show you only see one. Later, there are more and more "extraordinary" members who participate more fully and integrate with the rest of the corps....

Something like that is my take on them! tongue.gif

ok.. I think you just might have nailed it, ie what the stilts signified in the messaging theme.

'Makes better sense to me now... thanks.

I'm still gonna stick with Phantom as the guard that's got me this year - their performance is not just in their face, but in their whole body. They use movement for the first two minutes of their show as a machine of intrigue, and it works extremely well for them. The program is called, "Juliet", so I'm guessing that Romeo would be the one spinning rifle, as sabre is viewed as the more feminine weapon (note, I didn't say that all people spinning sabre are feminine!). Not to mention that the corps rendition of "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral" features the best color guard ending in DCI this year. Screw the numbers (they're not truth anyway), Phantom has the best color guard, hands down.

Cavies double rifle work is not that difficult. Please see freelancers 1983 drum solo!!!

Maybe not the most difficult double rifle work ever - but they're still out there doing it - along with the rifle hand off part and alot of other great touches that adds to the overall difficulty of the show.

Later,

Mike

Edited by Guardguy89

i definetely agree that the Blue Devils are the only guard selling their show right now, but that's a given seeing that the whole corps' are masters in execution. i feel like other guards aren't as into their shows like BD is, and you can tell because of their FACIALS!!!! thats right! people actually look at that!

My issue with Blue Devils (after watching the show again last night) is that they basically spin on place (when they transition from one shape to the other the flag work is basically non existant or they run with the flag straight up in the air) and the weapon line tosses are at a standstill with no body shaping whatsoever underneath. I understand that they are sometimes tossing 8's - but tossing a 6 while running sideways and jumping underneath is more difficult technically,

So although they move better than any other guard out there - I don't think they have the difficulty levels of Cadets, Crown or Cavies when it comes to multiple performer responsability (form / body / equipement).

Later,

Mike

Im sorry i have to say that Crown Gaurd is the real deal hands down. Might be just be me but wow!!!

i noticed last night that BD's guard has really gotten a lot cleaner in the past week or so.

Last night's guard scores would suggest that's correct. We'll see if that's maintained.