Scouts Guard Instructor, please…

This kind of behavior is far, far more than just annoying at a show. It is detrimental to drum corps. I know for a fact that random hysteria from audience members and staff alike turns many people off from drum corps altogether. I have taken a few people to shows for the first time, and these drum corps newbies were completely put off by this. It is just so silly, self-serving, and in such bad taste. I am sorry but the only reason I can see that these people act like this is to draw attention to themselves, when the attention should be squarely on the performers. Us die-hard drum corps fans can learn to put up with this crap, mostly because it has been a part of drum corps for a long time. We probably don't even notice it much because we have become numb to it. But that does not mean it is necessary or good at all. If we want to grow the activity, and be taken more seriously, this kind of thing has to stop.

I understand what you're saying, but let's be realistic in that drum corps shows have always more closely resembled a sporting event than a night at the opera or an orchestral concert performance. People get excited and whoop and holler because it's an engaging experience. You see the same things happening in judged Olympic sports like ice skating or gymnastics.

For the record, I have also known people who get seriously upset at people who stand up at a football game. Even during exciting moments! Just goes to show you can't please everybody, I guess.

What? They have cameras in phones now?

blink.gif

Even better... There are two lenses on many new smartphones, which basically means that there are front AND back facing cameras on most new smartphones! tongue.gif

...just in case you really didn't know. These devices will also record video and sound and communicate through the internet. It's pretty scary really.

Edited by jjeffeory

For the third year now my seats at our show were about 10 rows from the pressbox on the 50 and, once again, we all had to listen to the judges yelling into their recorders.

When DCI was putting the judges tapes on the DVDs, all it did for me was reinforce the belief that most judges, while being able to accurately put numbers to performance, have absolutely nothing of value or interest to add when it comes to play by play comments on the tapes. "Wow snares, yeah, great! Tasty!"

Inanity on a stick.

That being the case, it'd make more sense to me for the judging community to spend the time watching the show and making a few notes of areas of concern or appreciation, then taking advantage of the nearly 7 minutes between performances to record a short verbal critique of the performance they just saw.

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 1

That being the case, it'd make more sense to me for the judging community to spend the time watching the show and making a few notes of areas of concern or appreciation, then taking advantage of the nearly 7 minutes between performances to record a short verbal critique of the performance they just saw.

I'm sorry that just makes too much sense.

I understand what you're saying, but let's be realistic in that drum corps shows have always more closely resembled a sporting event than a night at the opera or an orchestral concert performance. People get excited and whoop and holler because it's an engaging experience. You see the same things happening in judged Olympic sports like ice skating or gymnastics.

At several shows I've been to, the announcer encourages the audience to yell and clap and stand and jump or do whatever they are moved to do at any time during the performances. Maybe this is just to let the other people know to expect it.

That said, what has ruined shows for me (and the folks around me) in recent years is when the staff comes into the stands and talks on their radios through the entire show.

Edited by skywhopper

I've seen the East cost vid clips and heard the "Woo, go Sabers!" ... Whom ever is filming (poorly,) is also posting the clips online.. It ain't the staff. Really.

Jim Moore or Rosie or the rest of the staff are pro's.. And have been with Cavies, Cadets, SCV, and so on.. They don't even clap when they win over and over with all their guards..

And why would they start now? out East?

It's a fan, bless his/her heart..

Considering I was sitting with them in NJ and Bristol, I can tell you first hand they shouted out nothing.......They were, as always, classy, friendly, and professional.....gonna see them again in an hour or two....woo hoo !!

G

When DCI was putting the judges tapes on the DVDs, all it did for me was reinforce the belief that most judges, while being able to accurately put numbers to performance, have absolutely nothing of value or interest to add when it comes to play by play comments on the tapes. "Wow snares, yeah, great! Tasty!"

Inanity on a stick.

Nope.

And to your first point, those judges' tapes are on the FINALS DVD. At this point, there is nothing left to instruct and the judge is primarily there to assign ratings; significant feedback might be necessary but in most cases, it isn't. Next year's line will be new individuals, perhaps new staff members, and so the necessity for the same feedback you get during the season isn't there.

It's just not a good comparison.

At several shows I've been to, the announcer encourages the audience to yell and clap and stand and jump or do whatever they are moved to do at any time during the performances. Maybe this is just to let the other people know to expect it.

That said, what has ruined shows for me (and the folks around me) in recent years is when the staff comes into the stands and talks on their radios through the entire show.

what has ruined shows for me the past few years (and most recently at the Arizona show) are people who insist on bringing their 3 year old to the show and sit directly behind me talking/playing the whole time. Nothing like hearing "MOMMY" "MOMMY" MOMMY", a couple hundred times during a 3 hour period.

Edited by GREENBLUE

The Madison Scouts instructors have a clear standard of conduct that is a component of their contracts and reinforced verbally. We have again discussed our expectations with our instructional team to assure that such things do not occur.

Having been on the road with the corps for the past two weeks and at every show, I can confidently say that I have not seen this behavior firsthand from our staff. However, I do suspect that the conduct in question was from an over-zealous volunteer. I apologize if that situation disrupted your show experience and we will work to make sure that does not happen in the future.

An ongoing challenge for the activity is to provide a place for the staff's of corps to evaluate the performance on the field. As we traveled up and down the East coast, we've encountered very small venues with limited space for viewing the performances. Certainly the show promoter doesn't want to sacrifice prime real estate for staff viewing. But that same staff needs to review and evaluate the performance so they can be effective in the post-show critiques. This is a problem that does need to be solved.

Thanks for the feedback,

Chris Komnick

Executive Director

Madison Scouts

• Like 9

What does Lance's signature say about starting a hot topic and not posting again? TROLLing.... :thumbdown: