Staff behavior concerns...examples/solutions

Interesting. Can't even spell knowledgeable, so your insult, is much more humorous. Because it actually insults you.

I see a few grammar errors in your statement as well...

I just wanted to mention how I feel about staff being noisy - in professional tennis, a player is not allowed to be coached from the stands by their coach.

Most other sports are different, but when you are giving a performance, I don't think it should be allowed to coach or hurl instructions at your corps while they are performing.

I think they should be allowed to cheer and applaud like anyone else.Has anyone mentioned this?

Also, you'd think the staff would want to be analyzing the show top to bottom to see where the weak spots are, so they know where to start off at the next morning at rehearsal - and I'm sure it makes it difficult to pinpoint specific parts of the show when you're hootin' and hollerin' and having a corpsgasm...

I see a few grammar errors in your statement as well...

I just wanted to mention how I feel about staff being noisy - in professional tennis, a player is not allowed to be coached from the stands by their coach.

Most other sports are different, but when you are giving a performance, I don't think it should be allowed to coach or hurl instructions at your corps while they are performing.

I think they should be allowed to cheer and applaud like anyone else.Has anyone mentioned this?

Also, you'd think the staff would want to be analyzing the show top to bottom to see where the weak spots are, so they know where to start off at the next morning at rehearsal - and I'm sure it makes it difficult to pinpoint specific parts of the show when you're hootin' and hollerin' and having a corpsgasm...

You do bring up some valid points. Idk if staff members "coach" from the sideline though

Friendly banter above, aside... I agree with this, totally!

Yeah, "go sabers!!" is hardly coaching. Don't ever see that happening at shows I've attended. And...tennis....was a bit of a reach, but ok. lol

Haha PM im dieing to hear the "truth" oh knowlegable master ;)

Ok. Here's the reality. Its great that you're proud of your band program, and all of the hard work you have put into it. We all work hard, and should be proud of our efforts. However, your behavior isn't exactly reflecting well on your band program. I'm not trying to flame you, only to help you see something from a certain perspective, as a staff member once did for me.

Any time you identify yourself as a part of an organization, you need to be aware that anything you do is no longer only representative of yourself, but by association, becomes representative of anyone who has ever been associated with that organization. Think of it this way. When you go to a restaurant, and you receive bad service, how easy is it to not go back to that restaurant next time you are thinking of your options. The food might have been fine, and the host might have been great, but that one server who was representing the restaurant gave you a bad impression.

Its not exactly fair that people's perceptions are so easily swayed, but its absolutely not fair to your band program, fellow band students, and staff who you speak so highly of to be represented by someone spouting insults at people and insisting that he somehow knows more about the effects of staff behaviors on their students than a message board populated by former drum corps marching members, and music educators.

You might make the argument that you haven't identified your band program, which is true. However, we can narrow the field quite a lot based on your comments. You mention that you won 6th at grand nationals, and that you are still in high school. At the very least, that means that we can narrow the field to any band that took 6th place in their class at grand nationals in the last 3 years. More likely, and implied by your general "6th in grand nationals" comment (rather than 6th in class), we can draw the assumption that you are referring to 6th overall regardless of class. That would narrow the field to Kennesaw Mountain and Broken Arrow (as Broken Arrow took 6th in both 2008 and 2009). Regardless of which program you are with, you could easily put a bad taste in people's mouths regarding every one of those organizations. Simply by mentioning grand nationals, you have made yourself a representative of the entire BOA organization.

Do you see how easily you can reflect poorly on your organization?

Sincerly,

A concerned educator

• Like 9

I would like to see staff members be mindful of what they wear when staying at schools. I witnessed a shirtless staff member wearing very large nipple rings during a rehearsal while staying at a high school. Though this person appeared friendly, I was concerned about the image this portrayed to the administration, staff members, and parents. Many schools are not as "open-minded" about certain issues as drum corps. I realize this is a rare issue, but it is something that needs to be addressed.

I just read through the other thread, and I appreciate Chris' response about their staff. I was the one who wrote the review, and to be completely honest, I was surprised, because I have read on here that the Madison Scouts are an extremely classy organization. Also, I have no problem with corps staff getting excited in the middle of their corps' show, I tend to get excited and cheer during the show.

BTW, for anyone @ the Bristol, RI show, I was a big dude with a curly red beard, wearing a baby blue t-shirt and blue gym shorts, I was around the 25 yard line on side 2, and I would shout the YOU extremely emphatically with the announcer

So it's too much to ask that they act as professionals in the presence of paid audience members?

Performances are work time for the staff members too. Their focus should be on observing the performance AND observing the audience, trying to discern if the work they did in teaching or improving the show is working for the audience. If they're out there shouting encouragement to the kids like obnoxious parents at a Little League game, they're not acting as professional designers, instructors, or support staff.

Did you even read the second half of my post, concerning overly obnoxious behavior?

I would like to see staff members be mindful of what they wear when staying at schools. I witnessed a shirtless staff member wearing very large nipple rings during a rehearsal while staying at a high school. Though this person appeared friendly, I was concerned about the image this portrayed to the administration, staff members, and parents. Many schools are not as "open-minded" about certain issues as drum corps. I realize this is a rare issue, but it is something that needs to be addressed.

Yes, but was she cute?

• Like 1