first off, rant:

encore pieces: Maybe I'm just a scrooge but I really dislike the encores consisting of primarily playing the field show over again and then maybe the corps song. I think if corps know they are going to be doing several encores, they should prepare SEPARATE encore pieces! I REALLY appreciate the corps that take the time out of their competitive show to rehearse music for encore pieces. Anyone agree?? Phantom always does a great job with this, I believe crown plays separate encore pieces as well.

my question: which corps play what for their encores??

I know bluecoats play their show and autumn leaves....

SCV plays their show and clowns...

Phantom is playing Bachanale I know, I'm not sure what else but probably Elsa's is in there .. (does that count as their show music.. lol)

ready. set. go!

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

Blue Stars are playing "Forget You".

Not a song I've ever enjoyed by any means, but hearing them play it, it's starting to stick on me just a tiny bit.

NOBODY treats the fans any better with their encore show than do the Cadets. I have always appreciated the fact that George was willing to take time away from the competition side of things to have the corps work up different material for their encore.

I believe that was one of the more positive things he was pushing for with the G7 format for shows.

NOBODY treats the fans any better with their encore show than do the Cadets. I have always appreciated the fact that George was willing to take time away from the competition side of things to have the corps work up different material for their encore.

I believe that was one of the more positive things he was pushing for with the G7 format for shows.

Cadets play zero show music during encores.

They are doing the William Tell bit and Don't Stop Believing to name a few, this year.

kudos to the cadets, I wish all corps went this route with their encores. Should be mandatory IMO

PR also doesn't play any show music in their encores (well... not PRESENT show). (although this year since the corps song is in the show.... i guess they may be playing show music in the encore...) .. their encores are like a complete different concert, it is great to hear the classics.

I hope to see a cadets encore now that I know they are doing a complete different program :thumbup:

The best encore I ever saw was by the Empire Statesman about 15 years ago.It was a small 4 corps show which had been moved from the original sight. It was hardly advertised, there were at most 200 fans in the stands, and the Statesmen played for like 45 minuites. It wasgreat and really the only thing I remember from the show. There was a lot of music not from the show in the encore, and the corps really seemed to enjoy it. It made quite an impression

I was at one show a year or two back where Cadets did at least five non-show tunes for encore. Might have been six or seven. Heaven.

I've heard Cavies do maybe three extra tunes at a clip. Crown has done a couple at least.

Now here's my question regarding encores. Do you prefer the serious tunes (Cavies "I Vow to Thee" or Cadets "Easter Symphony" for intance) performed seriously? Or would you rather have the corps hit it hard (and maybe sloppy) with pop tunes (Cavies have done "Thriller," Cadets are doing "Don't Stop Believing")?

HH

But, at least in the first half of the season, I LIKE listening to a standstill of the corps show. Often it clarifies what I thought I heard them play on the field! But, if I have to listen to it more than twice, it does get old.

One program standstill I completely enjoyed was the Blue Devils on Finals night last year. For some reason that was the night I FINALLY understood some of the music!

But, perhaps I am the only one who enjoys hearing the entire show played in the encore without the distracting flags and marching. I can really just enjoy the music!

Phantom's encore songs change a lot. I dont think there is a set corps song, least wise not one that has the long standing traditions of other corps. I thought for years the corps song was Amazing Grace...then it changed. This year they seem to be playing to the crowd.....but I like it anyway!