first off, rant:

encore pieces: Maybe I'm just a scrooge but I really dislike the encores consisting of primarily playing the field show over again and then maybe the corps song. I think if corps know they are going to be doing several encores, they should prepare SEPARATE encore pieces! I REALLY appreciate the corps that take the time out of their competitive show to rehearse music for encore pieces. Anyone agree?? Phantom always does a great job with this, I believe crown plays separate encore pieces as well.

my question: which corps play what for their encores??

I know bluecoats play their show and autumn leaves....

SCV plays their show and clowns...

Phantom is playing Bachanale I know, I'm not sure what else but probably Elsa's is in there .. (does that count as their show music.. lol)

ready. set. go!

I think most corps do more than just their show music; I don't mind hearing corps music played in an arc after a show, and I don't begrudge corps staffers not wanting to spend a ton of rehearsal time on encore tunes. I especially have zero problems if it's part of the field show + corps song (like SCV, for example).

Two encore stories from '92.

First show of the season saw Blue Devils in Charlotte NC. Encore they just played their show music. One of the best Encores EVER!! Got to hear "When a Man Loves A Woman" from the fifth row!!! AWESOME!

The Next night in Winston Salem NC Star won (still my favorite show from that year). For the encore, they lined up in an arc and played two chorales. Absolutely GORGEOUS sound, but quite a let down from the previous evening's fireworks. Would have loved to hear something from their past shows (Balshazar, just about anything from Roman Images, heck even Close Encounters would be cool), or even their show music would have been better.

In my opinion, Carolina Crown does.

Carolina Crown also does a much better job than the Cadets at an annual parade I've attended as well. The Cadets march by the reviewing stand and play. The Carolina Crown on the other hand always stops, faces the crowd, and really gets into a groove and lets loose playing a few songs. The crowd loves it way more than what the Cadets do in this parade.

I've always enjoyed the encore music that Carolina Crown does post shows too. It just very varied and more appealing music to my ears than what The Cadets play. Don't get me wrong, I like " Rocky Point Holiday " too. But I tend to like the musical selections that Crown plays in their post show encores much, much better.

Seems to me that Crown is trying too hard to get attention. I like the Cadets' sense of disciplined professionalism in this manner, rather than playing for pats on the back. "Like us! Like us! We're Carolina Crown, and we're the best thing since sliced bread, please like us!"

Maybe that is a little cynical to think that way, but that is how I feel about the quoted statement right now, and it is also how I feel about their recent show theme selections.

• Like 2

Two encore stories from '92.

First show of the season saw Blue Devils in Charlotte NC. Encore they just played their show music. One of the best Encores EVER!! Got to hear "When a Man Loves A Woman" from the fifth row!!! AWESOME!

The Next night in Winston Salem NC Star won (still my favorite show from that year). For the encore, they lined up in an arc and played two chorales. Absolutely GORGEOUS sound, but quite a let down from the previous evening's fireworks. Would have loved to hear something from their past shows (Balshazar, just about anything from Roman Images, heck even Close Encounters would be cool), or even their show music would have been better.

Right you are!

Actually, this set the bar for my experiences! The very first drum corps show I ever got to see live was in my homeland of Southern California.I went with some of my instructors who knew some people in the Blue Devils staff and I actually got stand on the track during their victory show! I was 15 and still in my first year of marching band! I dont think i will ever gorget that day.

But, at least in the first half of the season, I LIKE listening to a standstill of the corps show. Often it clarifies what I thought I heard them play on the field! But, if I have to listen to it more than twice, it does get old.

One program standstill I completely enjoyed was the Blue Devils on Finals night last year. For some reason that was the night I FINALLY understood some of the music!

But, perhaps I am the only one who enjoys hearing the entire show played in the encore without the distracting flags and marching. I can really just enjoy the music!

Phantom's encore songs change a lot. I dont think there is a set corps song, least wise not one that has the long standing traditions of other corps. I thought for years the corps song was Amazing Grace...then it changed. This year they seem to be playing to the crowd.....but I like it anyway!

I still feel really privileged to have had the chance to play that so many times during retreat. The audience reaction was usually pretty fun to see.

I think Crown also played William Tell as an encore last year (or maybe the year before)--from their "Triple Crown" show.

Cadet's don't play a straight version of William Tell....you'd have to see it.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but encores were better (I think) when it was an honor that was won, not assigned.

I partly agree, but if I remember correctly, it was the corps that were winning all the time that wanted to do away with this tradition because they were tired of having to do it all the time and not getting to eat and get on the bus until afterward. Talk about sore winners.

I miss the days when corps did retreats at every show, when corps new how to stand at attention, when they knew what "vibe" meant.

Seems to me that Crown is trying too hard to get attention. I like the Cadets' sense of disciplined professionalism in this manner, rather than playing for pats on the back. "Like us! Like us! We're Carolina Crown, and we're the best thing since sliced bread, please like us!"

Maybe that is a little cynical to think that way, but that is how I feel about the quoted statement right now, and it is also how I feel about their recent show theme selections.

THANK YOU! I'VE FELT THIS WAY SINCE 2009. I have even unliked their page because I get spammed with random statuses about things not having to do with the corps.

• Like 1