Metamora Mayhem

I'm actually more excited to see the Troopers and Spirit battle it out tonight! I do think these will be the two that will be battling hardest for that last finals spot!!!

I agree, while the match between SCV and Blue Stars is interesting, I too am more excited about the spread between Troopers and Spirit of Atlanta. There is just so much more at stake for these two corps and I think the battle between these two will go right down to the wire.

Love the Troopers....but...........

GOOO SOA!!!

I'm thinking (sorry Troop) that it's not going to be close between them and SOA. That spread will continue to increase with SOA on top. Just a guess.

So, assuming it doesn't rain us out, here are my predictions for the WC corps. I'm pretty confident we won't see any big surprises tonight:

1. SCV

2. Blue Stars

3. Troopers

4. Spirit

5. Crossmen

A few thoughts about the shows, ahead of time. I'm not dissing Open Class, but I don't know anything about the Racine Scouts or Legends shows, so I don't have anything to say. Like I said, this is my first live show of the year, so I'm pretty excited:

Crossmen: The last few times I've seen Crossmen, I've been underwhelmed, and even with the promises of returning to their roots this year, that's what they said last year and I was really disappointed in the First Circle show. BUT, from what I've seen and heard on the Fan Network, I think I'm really going to enjoy this one. The arrangements are great, the music is great. The playing was dirty in the early FN recordings, but I'm hoping they've had time to polish that up, and I'm sure they will by Finals. I don't remember what I thought of the visuals from my early viewings, but for this show I'm most excited about the music.

Spirit of Atlanta: After a year or two of shows I didn't enjoy, I liked the show last year... except for the electronics. Or at least the voice samples, which I have an apparently irrational dislike for--they're like cucumbers, I have no logical explanation for why I can't stand them, but there's just this visceral reaction as soon as they hit my senses.

Anyway, I was ready to believe this was another up year after reading posts around here, but viewing the show on the Fan Network, I thought there were way too many sound effects and samples. That just doesn't seem necessary... maybe I'm being unfair. Anyway, I'm willing to assume that bad mike placement is at fault in most overbalanced electronics on FN recordings, and so I'm really trying to go into this show with an open mind.

Troopers: Loved the 09 show, not so much the 2010 show. Obviously the big infinity chord moment is something I'm looking forward to. Other than that, though, what I've seen so far hasn't really grabbed me. Here's hoping they wow me in person.

Blue Stars: Houdini was my favorite show of 2010, musically and visually, and this show seems to have a lot of similar work going on. When I saw this show at the cinecast, I liked it fine, but I found myself obsessing over the fact that they took some perfect opportunities for mello and bari solos and assigned them to English horn and string synth patches. I just... don't... understand...

I mean, I get it that they want to tie it back to the really unique sound of the movie soundtrack, and you know for the pre-show where apparently woodwinds are okay, I would have loved to hear a real English horn (maybe it's a bassoon?--I'm not great with double-reed identification) play that bit. But during the show, it's the perfect range for a bari soloist to capture a lot of the same tone quality.

:lookaround: Annnnyway, the A&E usually bugs me far less in person, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this show a lot more tonight. Really curious to see how the scaffolding looks live.

Santa Clara Vanguard: I'm not sure yet, but I think this show may turn out to be my favorite this year. At the cinecast they had lack-of-volume issues in the horn line, but the music and the visuals I just can't get enough of. Wow! I'm surprised, really, at the complaints about the music in this show. I mean, granted, I already like a lot of 20th and 21st century art music that most people I know find utterly repellent, but I find the music this year to be a big leap over 2010's music in terms of being suitably exciting for drum corps. Even though I am not familiar with most of this music, it just immediately grabbed me. And the visual design is just outstanding if you ask me. I cannot wait to see this live.

I don't usually do reviews, but I may try one tonight. I'm just really excited.

I'm thinking (sorry Troop) that it's not going to be close between them and SOA. That spread will continue to increase with SOA on top. Just a guess.

I hope your right as I am a big Spirit of Atlanta fan....but, I just have a feeling that it is going to be super close, and I wouldn't be surprised if in fact Troopers came out slightly ahead.

Well...looking at the latest radar....there are lots of storms developing draping SW to NE along the dry area behind the cold front, moving in a NE direction. The front is slowly sagging south. Then the other part of the story is the highly unstable airmass just south of the show area. SPC (Storm Prediction Center) issued a Sever Thunderstorm watch just SW of Metamora. They are betting that the storms developing in NE Mo are gonna move SE due to the cold front pushing southward.

In my eyes, the big question is will those storms north and west of Metamora catch up with and enhance the storms to south. Right now, its a crapshoot. If you're asking me to guess, my guess is not until late in the show or just after. There is a small part wing of outflow air with light rain coming north from the main storms in MO moving east towards the show area. I would say will be there in an hour or less but shouldn't amount to much. My hope is nothing develops in between. But what do I know.

I'll keep this updated.

• Like 1

Blue Stars just finished their rehersal. I throughly enjoyed it!!! The skys are very cloudy, which helped keep it a little cooler during practice. But the clouds don't look threatning, so it should be a good night for Drum Corps.

I'm actually more excited to see the Troopers and Spirit battle it out tonight! I do think these will be the two that will be battling hardest for that last finals spot!!!

That will be a great fight! Can't wait to see how it shakes out going into the regional on Saturday, I think these two, plus Crossmen and Academy will be fighting quite hard for that 12th slot.