Academy's tour schedule

This discussion has come up in one form or another every year for the past 10 years or so, and with all due respect to the well-meaning and intelligent posters on this forum, the arguments always end up going in the same circles. It's completely asinine. It would be easier if someone just dug up one of the old "Do Academy/Mandarins/PC/Surf deserve to be a WC/Division I corps?" threads, typed in "bump," and hit the reply button.

Horse is out of the barn, guys. These groups are in world class. It may or may not make them more or less competitive. You may or may not think it's fair. Buy a ticket and go see them, or don't. Or get a hot dog during their performance. Or write a letter to Dan Acheson. Or donate to the corps. Whatever form of nonviolent and constructive expression makes you happy.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 2

I just went to DCI.COM and Academy has 19 shows (not counting finals week which will get them at least 2 more). Not sure where everyone is getting this 7 shows nonsense.

Here is their Schedule for this season - They had a couple mini weekend tours early, They take a long break in july from the 9th to the 22nd and then are on tour till the end of the season (3 weeks)

June 22 - Mesa, AZ

July 1 - Oceanside, CA

July 2 - Walnut, CA

July 3 - Riverside, CA

July 6 - Salt Lake City, UT

July 8 - Loveland, CO

July 9 - Denver, CO

July 22 - Odessa, TX

July 23 - San Antonio, TX

July 25 - Dallas, TX

July 26 - Yukon, OK

July 27 - Little Rock, AR

July 28 - Gadsden, AL

July 30 - Atlanta, GA

August 1 - Sevierville, TN

August 2 - Charleston, WV

August 4 - Rome, NY

August 6 - Allentown, PA

August 7 - Erie, PA

. Not sure where everyone is getting this 7 shows nonsense.

probably because of their early season schedule

June 22 - Mesa, AZ

June 23-June 30 Open\rehearsal days

July 1 - Oceanside, CA

July 2 - Walnut, CA

July 3 - Riverside, CA

July 6 - Salt Lake City, UT

July 8 - Loveland, CO

July 9 - Denver, CO

July10-21- Open\Rehearsal days

7 shows in the first 5 weeks of the DCI Season, June 18-July 21.

Academy is doing around 20 shows this year. Blue Devils by comparison are doing around 30. In place of the other 10 shows, Academy is putting 10 hour days into their show while in Arizona.. There is room for debate which is better, additional rehearsing or performing and rehearsing in between bus rides. I guess we will know come mid August. Agreed, Academy fields a full corps, the members know what they are getting into, and the staff is first-rate. And as far as the Arizona heat goes, if you check your weather map, it's hot a lot of other places right now, too.

• Like 1

The less you perform:

-The less people see your show

-The less people that like your show

-The smaller the following you develop

-There are fewer opportunities for your kids to develop performance skill

-There are fewer opportunities to provide clinics and fuel your corps education initiative

-There are fewer opportunities for the judges to assess your show

-There is more time for off the field issues and injuries to create holes in your ensemble

-There are other musical obligations that take the player out of the drum corps mindset

• Like 1

doh.gif

I give up!

doh.gif

I give up!

Don't give up. I marched in a corps that kept a similar schedule to Academy---then--- I marched in a world champion Divison I corps.

There is a huge difference. HUGE. That may be a hard pill to swallow, but it is true.

Now, you don't see me saying that they should be going on tour without the funds. I'm proud they are doing what it takes to survive. That said, you can't call it the full drum corps experience.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken
  • Like 1

The less you perform:

-The less people see your show

-The less people that like your show

-The smaller the following you develop

-There are fewer opportunities for your kids to develop performance skill

-There are fewer opportunities to provide clinics and fuel your corps education initiative

-There are fewer opportunities for the judges to assess your show

None of which happens at all if your corps folds from poor financial management.

• Like 2

I don't like how Academy does this every year. Go back to open class if you want a limited tour.

• Like 4