Cadets will win this year

Well in my own utopian drum corps world, no one would be counted out. The problem is, and has been for a LONG time, the judging community feels the need to separate the corps so that they can hopefully designate a winner. While a corps difficulty and level of proficiency is a bit more obvious to the "joe six pack" viewer, the intricacies that the “green shirts” are looking for are where most championships are won. IMO, there is a perception that if corps “A” is doing something, it MUST be the thing to do. However, if corps “Z” was doing that same thing, chances are they would not have the same competitive success as corps “A,” all things being even. Are the Cavaliers REALLY executing 4 points better than the Blue Stars”? (That was a rhetorical question).

While I understand that the days when breakneck drill moves were the “in” thing to do are gone, there are still some corps that at least “attempt” to entertain us visually with their marching program. The Blue Devils are not one of those corps (IMO). Of course they execute well, they’re not doing anything visually that would impair their ability to play well. So, why are they getting credit for being so good when in reality, it isn’t all that hard to play when you have practically no marching responsibilities? (Compared to corps like Cadets, Cavies, Regiment and others)

Oh my. Did I just rant? Sorry.

• Like 2

Well in my own utopian drum corps world, no one would be counted out. The problem is, and has been for a LONG time, the judging community feels the need to separate the corps so that they can hopefully designate a winner. While a corps difficulty and level of proficiency is a bit more obvious to the "joe six pack" viewer, the intricacies that the “green shirts” are looking for are where most championships are won. IMO, there is a perception that if corps “A” is doing something, it MUST be the thing to do. However, if corps “Z” was doing that same thing, chances are they would not have the same competitive success as corps “A,” all things being even. Are the Cavaliers REALLY executing 4 points better than the Blue Stars”? (That was a rhetorical question).

While I understand that the days when breakneck drill moves were the “in” thing to do are gone, there are still some corps that at least “attempt” to entertain us visually with their marching program. The Blue Devils are not one of those corps (IMO). Of course they execute well, they’re not doing anything visually that would impair their ability to play well. So, why are they getting credit for being so good when in reality, it isn’t all that hard to play when you have practically no marching responsibilities? (Compared to corps like Cadets, Cavies, Regiment and others)

Really? REALLY?? :blink:

Anyone with a pair of eyes and ears can tell which corps are better. You don't need to be a judge or be around this activity for a lifetime to see that. The fact is, this IS a competition. There are going to be winners and losers. If people can't take that fact, then maybe they should watch Sesame street where things are happy-go-lucky all the time.

Well in my own utopian drum corps world, no one would be counted out. The problem is, and has been for a LONG time, the judging community feels the need to separate the corps so that they can hopefully designate a winner. While a corps difficulty and level of proficiency is a bit more obvious to the "joe six pack" viewer, the intricacies that the "green shirts" are looking for are where most championships are won. IMO, there is a perception that if corps "A" is doing something, it MUST be the thing to do. However, if corps "Z" was doing that same thing, chances are they would not have the same competitive success as corps "A," all things being even. Are the Cavaliers REALLY executing 4 points better than the Blue Stars"? (That was a rhetorical question).

While I understand that the days when breakneck drill moves were the "in" thing to do are gone, there are still some corps that at least "attempt" to entertain us visually with their marching program. The Blue Devils are not one of those corps (IMO). Of course they execute well, they're not doing anything visually that would impair their ability to play well. So, why are they getting credit for being so good when in reality, it isn't all that hard to play when you have practically no marching responsibilities? (Compared to corps like Cadets, Cavies, Regiment and others)

lol

anyhoo, as much as i love the cadets this year, i'm a little surprised by how high their brass scores are. it's going to be interesting to see what happens as all the corps clean up.

anyhoo, as much as i love the cadets this year, i'm a little surprised by how high their brass scores are. it's going to be interesting to see what happens as all the corps clean up.

in fact -- it's going to be very interesting to see what happens in Minnesota. Crown (in the past two seasons-- arguably 3) has been ...err... somewhat successful head-to-head with the Cadets. Just sayin' ph34r.gif

• Like 1

While a corps difficulty and level of proficiency is a bit more obvious to the "joe six pack" viewer, the intricacies that the “green shirts” are looking for are where most championships are won.

I agree with this 100%.

in fact -- it's going to be very interesting to see what happens in Minnesota. Crown (in the past two seasons-- arguably 3) has been ...err... somewhat successful head-to-head with the Cadets. Just sayin' ph34r.gif

very true...

Cadets certainly are in a position to challenge this year, but it is just too close to call. It will be interesting to see how far Cadets, BD and Crown are from Cavies at this point. If the spread is less than a point I think Cavies will have a hard time holding off all three of these corps with still almost a month to go. I could see any of these 4 corps winning come Finals. Maybe the Bluecoats can make up some ground and make it a 5 way race. I love all of the possibilities!

Cadets certainly are in a position to challenge this year, but it is just too close to call. It will be interesting to see how far Cadets, BD and Crown are from Cavies at this point. If the spread is less than a point I think Cavies will have a hard time holding off all three of these corps with still almost a month to go. I could see any of these 4 corps winning come Finals. Maybe the Bluecoats can make up some ground and make it a 5 way race. I love all of the possibilities!

and then SCV is creeping up too. this is such an exciting year! although, even though they are creeping up, it may not be enough to get top 4, but who knows?

and then there's madison

• Like 1

and then SCV is creeping up too. this is such an exciting year! although, even though they are creeping up, it may not be enough to get top 4, but who knows?

and then there's madison

I still think SCV is a real contender for 5th, maybe 4th if they get their show REALLY clean and add a bunch of stuff to enhance the story line.

Edited by BoyWonder1911