Alumni show finale

As I understand it, there will be something new at the end of this year's Alumni show. It sounds like it will truly be a fitting finale to the show with plenty of in-your-face old fashioned drum corps stuff we all love-even a Color Pre!!!! I hope that plans are in place to include this part of the show on the DVDs. Last year we were promised, faithfully, that Honor Guard entrances at Pre Lims or Finals would be included on the final DVDs----you all saw how well the video people followed through on that. I didn't see one American flag on last year's DVDs until they were visible behind the drum majors on retreat. Maybe this year it will be different.

As I understand it, there will be something new at the end of this year's Alumni show. It sounds like it will truly be a fitting finale to the show with plenty of in-your-face old fashioned drum corps stuff we all love-even a Color Pre!!!! I hope that plans are in place to include this part of the show on the DVDs. Last year we were promised, faithfully, that Honor Guard entrances at Pre Lims or Finals would be included on the final DVDs----you all saw how well the video people followed through on that. I didn't see one American flag on last year's DVDs until they were visible behind the drum majors on retreat. Maybe this year it will be different.

As for the surprise at the end of the Alumni Spectacular, we haven't been told anything about it. Have no idea what it might be.

As for your not having seen any honor guards in the prelim or finals DVDs, that may very well be true, but if you were to watch the DVD for the alumni show, you'd have seen all the corps' honor guards - and plenty of American and Canadian flags. Off the top of my head, I can't remember a single corps that didn't have a color presentation in one fashion or another in its program.

If you hear any details about this surprise, please post them. It may interfere with my lunch - and we can't have that.

The suprise is not a suprise anymore! :lookaround:

Tom Allen, The Empire Statesmen Alumni Association and Bugles Across America have combined to set up a ceremony to honor ALL of our veterans at the conclusion of the Alumni Spectacular. He has invited the "Bugles Across America" members, The Ghost Riders (and all of the other interested competing DCA mini corps), Prime Time Brass, The Hitmen, the Empire Statesmen Alumni members and basically ANYONE else that wants to be a part of a mass ceremony following the Alumni show. This will also be including any of the participating competing and alumni corps that are interested. :thumbup::thumbup:

I believe also that the WDCHOF and BHOF members have also been contacted for participation in this ceremony. I also believe that it is open to anyone that would like to do it. Music will be arrangemnets of the Service Themes and Battle Hymn of the Republic and are available on a web link through Bugles Across America.

I am sure that Tom will supply more information soon on this forum. Stay tuned for more information from Tom Allen.

Don Allen

Edited by Donny Drum Corps
  • Like 1

As for your not having seen any honor guards in the prelim or finals DVDs, that may very well be true, but if you were to watch the DVD for the alumni show, you'd have seen all the corps' honor guards - and plenty of American and Canadian flags. Off the top of my head, I can't remember a single corps that didn't have a color presentation in one fashion or another in its program.

See this is where my disconnect to the Alumni activity really hits home. I don't see why a color presentation should be in every corps' program. I doubt I am the only one of my age group that feels that way.

• Like 1

See this is where my disconnect to the Alumni activity really hits home. I don't see why a color presentation should be in every corps' program. I doubt I am the only one of my age group that feels that way.

I suspect it's because of a generation gap. 'Geezers' like Andy and I still feel its inclusion in a show is a good thing -- harkens back to our competing days.

You are probably a bit younger, Liz (maybe quite a bit! :tongue:) and to you it's not as evocative of your competing corps memories. Just my observation.

I suspect it's because of a generation gap. 'Geezers' like Andy and I still feel its inclusion in a show is a good thing -- harkens back to our competing days.

You are probably a bit younger, Liz (maybe quite a bit! :tongue:) and to you it's not as evocative of your competing corps memories. Just my observation.

Thank you for not yelling at me. :satisfied:

When I've said something about this before I was basically put down for the fact that yes, I competed well after they stopped including them in shows.

LOL, I started as the "Color Pre" was being phased out. In fact 1976 Bi-Centennial was probably the last time a lot of corps did them. After that corps had Honor Guards but they stayed in the corner for the most part.

As a "tweener" :tongue: I can appreciate a good color presentation. But if a corps doesn't do one, I don't even think about it. But I do enjoy seeing any type of Honor Guard come out as I spent two years "in the corner" in the mid 80s. :rolleyes: If the main guys back was bothering him, I had the American flag and didn't see the show. If his back was good, then I had a saber and had a great view of the corps.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Thank you for not yelling at me. :satisfied:

When I've said something about this before I was basically put down for the fact that yes, I competed well after they stopped including them in shows.

Hey Liz, I never yell! Just ask my drumline! LOL! :whistle:

As for the surprise at the end of the Alumni Spectacular, we haven't been told anything about it. Have no idea what it might be.

If you hear any details about this surprise, please post them. It may interfere with my lunch - and we can't have that.

Yeah, Andy, I was referring to the competing corps-some of whom still bring an Honor Guard on the field-Hurricanes, Buccs, Cabs and usually Empire Statesmen. I know there are others too, I just don't remember. I do know about the Alumni Corps doing Color Pre's-I was part of a really nice one with St. Joes last year. BTW, I can't think of an Alumni Corps without some sort of a color pre either.

I think they can be cool.

it's the times when a patriotic tune isn't used for it that really baffles folks of my generation ( no offense to Cabs...I know it's your national anthem when you do it)