Like 'em or not...

I agree somewhat that the good vs evil thing has been done already, but so has almost everything else. I wouldn't call this year's Cadets show terribly innovative from the theme and split unis, but I think it does deliver the goods on GE, and some of the techniques and drill are designed extremely well. And I don't think the show would work nearly as well without the split uniforms, IMHO.

And just curious since I'm relatively new to such introspection on the activity, but which of the shows this year would be considered as bringing something really new to a concept?

The thing is, if you're going to choose a theme that is so common, and you are a top 12 drum corps, then the expectation (in my opinion) is that you should do something that hasn't been done with it. Obviously there is no true original idea anymore. Everything involves some kind of borrowed idea. But we're talking about doing one of the most used concepts ever. Sure, they are bringing across their show concept well, but so have a lot of other groups that have done that show concept in the past.

Its kind of like this whole electronics argument. After a certain point, you've heard everyone's arguments, and you have your own opinion. Nobody is going to convince you without some kind of new information, so it gets tiresome even talking about it.

As for groups that ARE bringing new things to the table, I think Vanguard has a really cool idea, and they are absolutely introducing some music that I never thought would reach drum corps. A lot of people will say "but they've done atonal music before", but the fact is, not all atonal music is the same. Atonal music is just as diverse (if not more so due to lack of limitations) as tonal music. I also like some of the things that Coats are trying to do. I really feel like they are the only group really striving to use electronics creatively. I'm also a huge fan of the Cavs percussion section specifically. I feel like Macintosch and Johnson are doing things there that nobody has tried from the composition side of things. Listening to their book this year, I've really learned some things as an arranger. You could even say that Crown is trying some new things, with their melding of popular music with classical music. I'm not a fan of the results as of yet, but its still early in the season, and sometimes new ideas take a couple of years to really create a positive yield.

• Like 1

I can understand that point of view, but it seems like this particular story has just been done a lot lately. I just don't feel like the Cadets are bringing anything new to the concept this year. The split corps thing is interesting, but again, I've seen other groups do the exact same thing. I feel like at this level, if you're going to do a classic concept like this, you need to really do something new with it. Otherwise its just another show (albeit really well executed).

Don't get me wrong. Its not that I don't enjoy the show at all. I just usually expect more from designers at that level.

Ok so what it's been done to death? What HASN'T been done to death in drum corps? I think it's about time Cadets get SOME love from this site no matter how many times a type of show has been done.

• Like 1

Ok so what it's been done to death? What HASN'T been done to death in drum corps? I think it's about time Cadets get SOME love from this site no matter how many times a type of show has been done.

even though i already said i don't care about theme very much, i will say that no corps has done it this well, IMO. for all of the in your face stuff, i like the more visually and musical subtle ways they go about getting the theme across. very fresh musical and visual ideas, IMO.

True enough. And lots of the "sophisticated" design this year quite frankly missed the mark (or at least it is so far...)

I think they've been getting lots of love this year. GO CADETS! :thumbup:

For those with opinions about George Hopkins, what has he done lately? I'll let you decide

Don't even get me started. Love the kids, love the corps... I hate George Hopkins.

• Like 1

Frankly, you could take the bold statement, and change the name Cadets to any other corps, and it would be a legitimate argument. Every corps in the top 5 or so has its detractors, and as a relatively new member on this site, I can tell you that the haters are pretty well distributed on this site. I understand that you probably take a personal stock in this particular discussion being alumni, but don't take my comments personally. I don't care for the Cadets show this year. I have good reasons for that opinion, that you disagree with. Don't take it so personally.

• Like 1

It's about time that the cheese was dropped in favor of straight ahead aggressive marching and playing. When George and company puts a show out there that does that . . and drops the other pretenses . . . it's classic Cadets.

I understand why he went the way he did . . .2005 was successful in pushing the story motif with the new "toys", so there was a tendency to see how far the paradigm could bend the next few years. 2006 tried to cram too much into the show for that reason.2007 and 2008 just went too far to the maudlin, stilted side as the experiment went from a more theatrical approach to one that cut the pretense and spoke directly to the audience . . .and drum corps just isn't a graceful vehicle for that. 2009 and 2010 were steps back, trying to find a good mix . . .Little Jeffery aside. :tongue:

This year is the best attempt yet at putting drums and horns in the forefront . . . and using the new stuff as the effects and layering it should be to be successful in a drum corps setting.

What he said.

Frankly, you could take the bold statement, and change the name Cadets to any other corps, and it would be a legitimate argument. Every corps in the top 5 or so has its detractors, and as a relatively new member on this site, I can tell you that the haters are pretty well distributed on this site. I understand that you probably take a personal stock in this particular discussion being alumni, but don't take my comments personally. I don't care for the Cadets show this year. I have good reasons for that opinion, that you disagree with. Don't take it so personally.

No one is taking anything personal buddy. Just because I'm an alum doesn't imply that I take any statement toward the Cadets personal. You made your opinion known, and I'm letting you know how much I disagree with it. It has nothing to do with me but everything to do with the design of the Cadets' show. It's annoying when people constantly talk about how much a theme has been done to death. People complain about corps having "accessible" music, but some people are never really satisfied right?

• Like 2