DCI Minnesota 16 July 2011

Neither. The best show and best corps wins...The Cadets! In the end it will be clear!

I picked Cadets pre-season. Loved the show, still do. They are going to give Crown/Cavies a run for it! For me, they need more props and/or staging and costumes, its just that kind of show. I wished they had used different uniforms instead of the traditional garb.

I have to say I was most impressed with the corps tonight. I hadn't liked BD show, but tonight they really nailed it. Great improvements. Crown I hadn't liked before,and they sold me tonight. Again, some awesome improvements. Cadets are amazing, and Cavies just blew me away, minus some small issues tonight.

Some weird things happening in the judging tonight.

Phantom beat Bluecoats??

Troopers with almost no GE beat Spirit, Glassmen, Colts and Crossmen?? They shouldn't be beating anyone in that group. Spirit should be winning guard, horns, GE and percussion out of all those groups.

I truly love drum corps, but this judging bullcrud really sucks. I am seriously thinking about taking a couple year hiatus from the activity.

Makes me wonder what's going to happen when they add in all their GE.

• Like 5

Totally disagree. Crown is up to par all right. Their drumline is just fine. It's the judges that haven't figured it out yet.

Too bad it's the judges' opinions that count.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Props to Madison and Boston! Congrats Craiga!!!

Hey Bozz, that was prettty classy thing for you to do that when you're naturally disappointed. You could have complained about the judging or whatnot, but you didn't. Good form, Man.

You and your Corps will live to fight another day. As was said, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Edited by BRASSO

BKs score killed by GE Vis!! Two nights ago they beat Boston in Vis GE by 1.5 tonight they lose to Boston by over a point!!! GE vis drug their score down!!! Other scores- 10th music GE,

9th per vis, 9th ensemble vis, 8th guard- 9 th total vis!

10th brass, 8th music ensemble, 10th perc.

Gonna be fun week, what don't kill u only makes u stronger!!

• Like 1

A couple of observations:

NONE of you guys can judge anything by looking at streaming video and audio over the internet. I think you can form impressions, but to judge differences of tenths of a point from a high cam and press box audio? I don't think so.

Phantom: I'm giving them all my love, because their opener is as beautiful as anything I've ever heard. And last year's PR opener wasn't bad either. :cool:

Phantom: They have played Elsa so many times in encores, I think most of us drum corps rats have a HIGH expectation of what it should sound like. I think PR can fiddle with it and make it the best closer in drum corps this year. That closer drill has some room to grow as well. The PR people are smart, they know how to get it right.

Blue Devils: The show grew on me, big time tonight.

Cavaliers: Not my favorite, but that show grew on me as well.

Troopers: I'm glad I picked at least ONE corps correctly tonight. They look and sound top 12 to me.

• Like 4

I like how Cadets were first in Vis ensemble across the board and came in 4th in GE visual.... Hopefully they will get a better line up going forward. Speaking of which, how is the show order determined for the next regional? Is it based on tonight's scores?

I like how Cadets were first in Vis ensemble across the board and came in 4th in GE visual.... Hopefully they will get a better line up going forward. Speaking of which, how is the show order determined for the next regional? Is it based on tonight's scores?

Should be. They will do the same grouping format though so Cadets have a chance at going on in that 6th spot again...

Regarding the Bluecoats getting beat by Phantom tonight:

1) Bluecoats' changes were definitely for the better (last 1/3 is getting much better)

2) Phantom's changes were definitely for the worse (both the ballad ending and transition into elsa's)

3) Bluecoats probably were technically better than Phantom.

4) Phantom's show is a much better sell.

With this said, I have to say my favorite show is Phantom (well, maybe Crown now) this year. It really goes to show you how important it is to have a good book. I have been watching the Bluecoats climb up the rankings since the early 2000s, and the one thing "missing" is someone who knows how to write a book that sells. Bluecoats are incredibly talented, and the individual head staff and even the writers are plenty enough to get to #1, but it just isn't being put together correctly from the top. They are getting close, you can see it with last year and the opener this year.

I have to say I agree with the scores tonight.

• Like 1