DCI Minnesota 16 July 2011

The G7 called . . .

They want their 8th spot back.

This is absolutely not at all what i am saying, I cant even be disapointed in the blue stars getting 10th, im more upset about the cadets being placed so far back. Clearly there was no slotting tonight. And i believe one person posted earlier about how we cant judge based on the FN broadcast, well no, we cant get every detail like we can get live, but were not idiots either. We can still see dirty drill, we can still hear horns sticking out. Did the judges get things right, IMO not at all, but can you blame them when they had to start at like 1:30? I love the idea of a huge show like that, but it doesnt set up a very good environment for great judging.

So here is what i thoughts,

-although i am alright with cavies winning, they were dirtier than they have been, and should not have been that far ahead of 2nd.

-crown, love the show more than i thought, but imo not a 2nd place show yet

-cadets should not have gotten 4th imo, i thought they had an amazing shot at winning it, so when i saw 4th??? i was like really?

-As much as i love phantom, their brass was weak tonight, and the changes arent great yet, so should they have really beatten bloo? i dont think so.

-skipping forward a few placements to blue stars. Even madison homers cant even think that they should be a full point behind them.

-kudos to BAC for their 9th place finish. But imo their show lacks the depth that scouts and stars and even bk has imo. i dont know if anyone noticed during that whole white sheet thing during their ballad, there was absolute 0 sets of drill in the hornline. Did they perform the heck out of the show? yes, but the show itself is not worth as much.

-SOA imo should have beaten troop.

So thats my opinion, and my opinion is that the judges were totally wrong in a lot of areas tonight, not just my Stars, and as i said, im more upset at the cadets getting shafted. Sorry if your opinion is that the judges were right, i dont agree, but we can still go get a drink later :thumbup:

• Like 2

Troopers brass section is the weakest of this group 11-15 and unfortunately that's what matters most to me. They are lucky SOA's perc captionhead left for PR or they would be a shoe in for finals.

Troopers have a weak hornline? I don't have the past caption results in front of me, but, I seem to remember Troopers hornline beating Glassmen and most of the other competition over the last week or so! I believe that Troop has an excellent hornline and the rest of the corps, especially the CG, has started to pull to a higher level! I do not bash the other hornlines and in other recent years any of the corps from 12th to 16th would be shoe-ins for finals. This is an exceptional year and I would appreciate it if all posters would realize this and appreciate the great competitions we will see instead of dismissing the corps or multiple corps who beat "their" corps! :thumbup:

How the eff could you forget:

6. Hopkins

:tongue:

Perfect. :cool:

Edited by wvu80

-kudos to BAC for their 9th place finish. But imo their show lacks the depth that scouts and stars and even bk has imo. i dont know if anyone noticed during that whole white sheet thing during their ballad, there was absolute 0 sets of drill in the hornline. Did they perform the heck out of the show? yes, but the show itself is not worth as much.

Lacking depth?...I disagree....The only thing is possible lack of DEMAND...I actually like the soli feature much better now and I was not as much a fan of it June...I am also happy they got rid of the electronics in the drum feature...

BUT let's get them to add 50 sets of drill there just for the sake of adding drill...and while were at it they should throw in a bunch of filler material "just because" with no rationale behind any of it :ph34r:

I'm so sad right now. I missed Cadets, crown and cavies.

I had to power down my computer right after Crown; a thunderstorm was rolling through. :sad:

Edited by byline

I had to power down my computer right after Crown; a thunderstorm was rolling through. :sad:

I honestly think its a myth that lightning will affect the computer like that as long as your properly grounded and have good surge protection. On the other hand, it is your asset to protect how you see fit.

BUT let's get them to add 50 sets of drill there just for the sake of adding drill...and while were at it they should throw in a bunch of filler material "just because" with no rationale behind any of it :ph34r:

Generally you do need drill in a show yes, even in the ballad, designers have been doing it for years actually. Look, sorry i said something you didnt like about your corps, if you had said something about the other things i had mentioned in my post besides what i said about your team we could actually disucss this. However only comenting on what i said about your corps leads me to believe that you are only offended.

Generally you do need drill in a show yes, even in the ballad, designers have been doing it for years actually. Look, sorry i said something you didnt like about your corps, if you had said something about the other things i had mentioned in my post besides what i said about your team we could actually disucss this. However only comenting on what i said about your corps leads me to believe that you are only offended.

No offense taken...Honestly I think your reading to much into my reply. I really have no problem with constructive criticism per se. I have criticized "my corps" more than once about something I didn't care for over these years and even this week. While I do try to be balanced...I will admit it can be hard at times to be objective. I'm sure many people feel the same for their respective corps...

For the record, it was Boston's 12th place finish in Music Ensemble ( behind the Troopers ) that kept them from perhaps passing Madison Scouts last night, and putting more distance between themselves and Blue Stars. Thats their achilles heel. Not the visual side. So while you may think along the lines of the drill and visual being a strentgh of the Blue Stars, the judges see it differently. Boston also has been getting very decent scores in percussion this year, despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of the marchers in BAC's percussion section are new to the Corps this year,.. .. including 8 of the 9 in the snare line I'm told.

I see groupings beginning to emerge in World Class Division. Madison, Boston, BK and Blue Stars will probably be close all the way to Finals Night. I'd add SCV to this mix too, as they have nowhere to grow their GE Music numbers in my opinion unless they have lots of rewrites, but it's too late for that now, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

No offense taken...Honestly I think your reading to much into my reply. I really have no problem with constructive criticism per se. I have criticized "my corps" more than once about something I didn't care for over these years and even this week. While I do try to be balanced...I will admit it can be hard at times to be objective. I'm sure many people feel the same for their respective corps...

Blue Devils' last two National Championships would suggest that there is no judge whose job it is to count the number of sets a drill has. If the number of sets were judgeable, Cavies and Cadets would tie for first each year four or five points of the next corps.

As I said a couple days ago on the Minn prediction thread(and was mocked by a few folks), when you have 6 corps withtin a point and a half of each othet, the results will be interesting. I was proven right.