Changed Perceptions after the Minneapolis Regional

It's always nice to get another read on things, even if it's via Fan Network. Seeing all these shows live will make a huge difference. My thoughts as of now are:

SCV, Madison, Boston, Blue Stars, Blue Knights: of these corps I continue to be surprised by Boston...in a good way! I really enjoy the show. I think the ending, after the company fronts, needs some work, but the show is visually much better than all but Cavs, Crown, and Cadets. Some might say SCV is better visually, but SCV is more fragmented too. Boston's drill flows, has demand, yet also has logical build and resolution that works really well with the music. If they can also draw more impact on their field entrance, perhaps some harmony at the end of the sung chorus, maybe more people joining in on the whistle, and stuff like that, then I think that would help.

As of now, I think Boston has a small shot of beating Madison and SCV, both of whom suffer from show construction issues. Boston's more top-to-bottom logical show construction will put them ahead, UNLESS they fail to clean. But the Blue Knights are the REAL danger here if they clean. I'm just not sure they will clean that show. Very demanding.

What are your thoughts about the "Bring Me Home" visual segment of the show? I've seen some criticism about the white silk not being worth the effort of the effect. I've also read criticism that the hornline doesn't move and make any drill sets. Does anyone else have a opinion about this aspect?

Edited by Liahona

It's always nice to get another read on things, even if it's via Fan Network. Seeing all these shows live will make a huge difference. My thoughts as of now are:

The top four have been grouped, and, at least for now, rightly so. Come DCI Finals I still think it will be Cadets and Cavaliers going head to head. I do think Carolina Crown has a chance. I believe BD, for all their greatness and their wonderful sound, will ultimately take 4th this year. Cadets were the dirtiest of the four last night and have the most room to improve. They were stunning last night...just imagine how good they will be in August.

Phantom beating Bluecoats shocked me some. Both corps have super brass, but Bluecoats have better drums. Phantom perhaps has a better guard, but I think it's close, and both corps are not exactly tearing it up this year in visual. If anything, Phantom's musical book has better GE and better flow. Blooo has come a long way, but their overall design in music and visual is hurting them some this year.

SCV, Madison, Boston, Blue Stars, Blue Knights: of these corps I continue to be surprised by Boston...in a good way! I really enjoy the show. I think the ending, after the company fronts, needs some work, but the show is visually much better than all but Cavs, Crown, and Cadets. Some might say SCV is better visually, but SCV is more fragmented too. Boston's drill flows, has demand, yet also has logical build and resolution that works really well with the music. If they can also draw more impact on their field entrance, perhaps some harmony at the end of the sung chorus, maybe more people joining in on the whistle, and stuff like that, then I think that would help.

Madison has the best opener on the field in my mind, but their show falls some after that. The closer is fun music, but visually it is weak. The Blue Stars have made some effective changes and they could pull back ahead of the Scouts, but not over Boston. The Blue Knights are playing wonderful music and also have a wonderful visual package. They simply need to clean, clean, clean. DO that and they become very DANGEROUS, and could beat Boston, Madison, Blue Stars, and SCV.

As of now, I think Boston has a small shot of beating Madison and SCV, both of whom suffer from show construction issues. Boston's more top-to-bottom logical show construction will put them ahead, UNLESS they fail to clean. But the Blue Knights are the REAL danger here if they clean. I'm just not sure they will clean that show. Very demanding.

Troopers, Spirit, Glassmen, Colts, Crossmen: of these 5 corps, I was not shocked to see Troop back in top 12, at least for now. They have a great show. Seeing the Crossmen hanging close also did not shock me. I saw them in Akron and I thought they were being underscored. They have a wonderful show that simply needs some tweaks to aid GE. The musical flow is good, and the visual program is well coordinated, but demand will hurt them. However, it's the Glassmen and the Colts that have the most room to grow in the category. Glassmen could easily be back in Finals, and the Colts are going to clean this thing and make it interesting. I don't see Spirit in the top 12 this year. Troopers could do it, but my hunch is that it will either be Glassmen or Colts.

Jeez, you stole my observation glasses. Give'em back.

On EVERY point you made here, ie from Cadets, Cavies, Phantom, Bluecoats, SCV, Boston, BK, Colts, Glassmen, etc...all the way through... I agreed with every single observation you made on your comments here.

You're no fun, jwillis35.

( haha! )

Edited by BRASSO

Was I that obvious? :doh:

No, but they are! It's ok to not like a particular thing a corps does. It doesn't mean you are a "hater".

• Like 1

What are your thoughts about the "Bring Me Home" visual segment of the show? I've seen some criticism about the white silk not being worth the effort of the effect. I've also read criticism that the hornline doesn't move and make any drill sets. Does anyone else have a opinion about this aspect?

I myself wonder about this portion of the show, beautiful song and solo, nice low brass support, not so sure the silk gets the visual impact needed. Could be losing some needed visual moments.

Regarding the Cadets, it is their medal to loose. I am coming to believe that the Cadets are not a "learning organization" and that it will be personnel issues (both member and staff) that prevent their achievement. It's a shame, because they have a 1st place show design. It's like having the best horse, but an unstable jockey (didn't mean for that to sound like a Crown reference.).

Jason

Edited by treadstone
  • Like 1

Regarding the Cadets, it is their medal to loose. I am coming to believe that the Cadets are not a "learning organization" and that it will be personnel issues (both member and staff) that prevent their achievement. It's a shame, because they have a 1st place show design. It's like having the best horse, but an unstable jockey (didn't mean for that to sound like a Crown reference.).

Jason

I'm sorry. I don't post on these forums very much and accidentally reposted the statement I wished to comment on. You allege that the Cadets aren't a "learning organization" due to some apparently internal issues with staff and members. From what do you draw this conclusion?

Jason

Huh? This sounds like the perspective of someone who's been in drum corps a very short time.