fans sitting on their hands

Yes, but I also don't think every show needs a standing ovation. It gets a little tired around here when after every show people stand up, a lot of time just out of habit, and aren't REALLY showing respect for the corps. Perhaps every show just isn't AMAZING!@#$! Give credit where credit is due... Not just because everyone is a winner. I dunno.

I remember watching shows "back in the day" and sitting there amazed of what was going on on the field. Then screaming at the end of shows. I went to my first D2 show back in the middle 80's and lost my voice before the end of prelims..why, because I was once again amazed at what these kids were doing and trying to do. I'm sure alot of people felt the same way.

But now a days its "seen it already" or "its not perfect" I'm truly beginning to beleives its not the corps but the crowds. Maybe We have become too jaded in what we want corps to do. Then we remark on how everyone looks the same. Its the same as going to a soccer game. Everyone isn't in the premiere league but we roote for college kids, yell for high school kids and cheer for those 6-8 year olds that are barely bigger then the ball.

We need to cheer the effort not the result.

• Like 2

I remember watching shows "back in the day" and sitting there amazed of what was going on on the field. Then screaming at the end of shows. I went to my first D2 show back in the middle 80's and lost my voice before the end of prelims..why, because I was once again amazed at what these kids were doing and trying to do. I'm sure alot of people felt the same way.

But now a days its "seen it already" or "its not perfect" I'm truly beginning to beleives its not the corps but the crowds. Maybe We have become too jaded in what we want corps to do. Then we remark on how everyone looks the same. Its the same as going to a soccer game. Everyone isn't in the premiere league but we root for college kids, yell for high school kids and cheer for those 6-8 year olds that are barely bigger then the ball.

We need to cheer the effort not the result.

[/quote

Man...ain't that the truth!

I really wanted to stay away from telling this story but when I noticed this thread open up, I couldn't resist.

Let me set it up like this:

DCI EAST...last year...upper deck...about 10 rows up, really nice seats. A long time friend had asked me if I wanted those seats, at face value, for my wife & I...it'd been YEARS since we went to Allentown & had great seats! We usually just get whatever seats are available that day & so forth...no big deal. I've been going to East since I was a little guy, my sister was in Crossmen from 79-82 & my entire family are huge drum corps fans so needless to say, we never miss; like most of you. Get a hotel for 2 nights, see friends you only get to see once a year & have a great time.

SO DCI EAST comes and I'm pumped, the crowd is pumped, my friends are pumped etc etc...what is better than Allentown!!!! Seriously!!!

We get to our seats. No problems. Everyone is being considerate. Now Madison had a great show last year & needless to say the crowd was jacked up to see Madison, & see Madison with a really great drum corps show, in Allentown! I have several friends that are former Scouts & this only adds to the excitement.

So Madison is lighting it up & towards the end of their show, like the last 20seconds, go figure, people start to give their standing ovation & start going nuts, the entire stadium it seemed, typical right? No news here, right?...I was one of those people. No problem right? No big deal right? Well, I felt someone grab my shirt from behind, dig their nails into my skin while grabbing, spin me around, get in my face, slowly, nose to nose almost & explain to me that "do you know that when you stand up, I can't see what's going on"????? Yes, this really happened at a drum corps show. Her hand is still gripping my shirt with the intensity of a million suns & yes, her finger nails were still digging deep...yes, this was a woman...

Now when this happened, I thought I was being spun around by a friend or something, couldn't believe this person had put me into this spot...I told her to remove her hands & she went on to taunt me like "oh, I'm sorry, am I hurting you".."oh, did I wrinkle your shirt"..."oh jeez, I'm really really sorry"...I thought my wife was gonna choke slam this chick...

I went on about how she had to be nuts & that there are kids on the field that need our applause etc etc...she didn't care & her poor husband didn't say more than "dear, please sit down...Jesus"...

I called security & they asked her if she did what she did & she denied it, but ofcourse their were a million witnesses that saw the whole thing & she was called out on it...security warned her.

During the next corps, she started whispering in my ear, no freaking lie, that I must be one of those 700 level Philadelphia Eagles fans & white trash people that get drunk (no, wasn't drinking) & ruin everyone's time!!! That was it, I got security back over & they threw her out...funny thing is, her husband stayed.

& this lady went on to tell me how many years she's been watching drum corps & how many years has she been coming to Allentown etc etc...who cares. Ruined my night. It's sad to admit that. Hope she gets the same seats this year...

Thanks for reading gang, this was my longest post ever...I'll conclude with this, no matter how boring a corps may be, no matter if someone is playing bass guitar in the pit, try to reward the members with applause...just don't ever stand up in front of this lady!!! I'm still shaking my head!!!!

Peace & go Crossmen!

Does Wayne Brady have to choke a b****?

I think it has to do with location more than any other factor. Has anybody been to a show within the last few years that had great crowd response? Where was it? I bet the crowds' enthusiasm at that show is comparable from year to year.

I use to attend southern California shows. Those shows consisted of a half dozen funky little corps and two to three big boys (Devils,SCV) There always seemed to have an atmosphere of fun and engagement with what was happening on the field.

By contrast, I moved to San Antonio a couple years ago and the crowd response for the Southwestern Championship has been bland by comparison. HOW CAN THIS BE?? There is a much higher volume of AMAZING shows on display in San Antonio...

IT'S THE LOCATION

Californians are fun and outgoing.

Texans are... boring?

-

Edited by CUDAKITE

At all the shows I've been at this year, the crowd does not seem to want to give it up for corps. I feel like ridiculous standing during shows while it seems that the rest of the stands are softer than a cricket. What gives!!

Drum Corps has changed & so has its fans.

The Oil Dome is not conducive to ‘going nut’s’ it’s a crowd killer

sucks the enegry right out of the crowd

not sure if its a dome thing or just the oil dome - it's the only dome show I go to, stopped going to the other Indy dome years back because, well, its a dome

I really wanted to stay away from telling this story but when I noticed this thread open up, I couldn't resist.

Let me set it up like this:

DCI EAST...last year...upper deck...about 10 rows up, really nice seats. A long time friend had asked me if I wanted those seats, at face value, for my wife & I...it'd been YEARS since we went to Allentown & had great seats! We usually just get whatever seats are available that day & so forth...no big deal. I've been going to East since I was a little guy, my sister was in Crossmen from 79-82 & my entire family are huge drum corps fans so needless to say, we never miss; like most of you. Get a hotel for 2 nights, see friends you only get to see once a year & have a great time.

SO DCI EAST comes and I'm pumped, the crowd is pumped, my friends are pumped etc etc...what is better than Allentown!!!! Seriously!!!

We get to our seats. No problems. Everyone is being considerate. Now Madison had a great show last year & needless to say the crowd was jacked up to see Madison, & see Madison with a really great drum corps show, in Allentown! I have several friends that are former Scouts & this only adds to the excitement.

So Madison is lighting it up & towards the end of their show, like the last 20seconds, go figure, people start to give their standing ovation & start going nuts, the entire stadium it seemed, typical right? No news here, right?...I was one of those people. No problem right? No big deal right? Well, I felt someone grab my shirt from behind, dig their nails into my skin while grabbing, spin me around, get in my face, slowly, nose to nose almost & explain to me that "do you know that when you stand up, I can't see what's going on"????? Yes, this really happened at a drum corps show. Her hand is still gripping my shirt with the intensity of a million suns & yes, her finger nails were still digging deep...yes, this was a woman...

Now when this happened, I thought I was being spun around by a friend or something, couldn't believe this person had put me into this spot...I told her to remove her hands & she went on to taunt me like "oh, I'm sorry, am I hurting you".."oh, did I wrinkle your shirt"..."oh jeez, I'm really really sorry"...I thought my wife was gonna choke slam this chick...

I went on about how she had to be nuts & that there are kids on the field that need our applause etc etc...she didn't care & her poor husband didn't say more than "dear, please sit down...Jesus"...

I called security & they asked her if she did what she did & she denied it, but ofcourse their were a million witnesses that saw the whole thing & she was called out on it...security warned her.

During the next corps, she started whispering in my ear, no freaking lie, that I must be one of those 700 level Philadelphia Eagles fans & white trash people that get drunk (no, wasn't drinking) & ruin everyone's time!!! That was it, I got security back over & they threw her out...funny thing is, her husband stayed.

& this lady went on to tell me how many years she's been watching drum corps & how many years has she been coming to Allentown etc etc...who cares. Ruined my night. It's sad to admit that. Hope she gets the same seats this year...

Thanks for reading gang, this was my longest post ever...I'll conclude with this, no matter how boring a corps may be, no matter if someone is playing bass guitar in the pit, try to reward the members with applause...just don't ever stand up in front of this lady!!! I'm still shaking my head!!!!

Peace & go Crossmen!

This is a most HEARTENING post! I'm THRILLED you had her thrown out! I'd have stared down the husband, too, but it sounds like he was already whipped.

This is endemic of an acceptance of long-standing etiquette and protocol at drum corps shows. In my opinion, it must be enforced. On one level it's a shame that we watch glorified marching bands these days, but it's even worse if the fans are allowed to "Bando" the place, too, IMO. (Cowbells anyone?) Enforce the entry/exit rules, report video pilferers, stand up and cheer, don't talk in the stands, turn off the #### cell phone ringers, and recognize that everyone around you is as miserably hot and bothered as you are.

Acting like a tight-knit niche within a niche will help keep it tight-knit, IMO.

I'm tickled to death you had her thrown out.

Edited by garfield

I know for me personally during a show I'm not always a fan of standing up and going nuts. Why? Because I paid a lot of money to hear every note from the corps and especially at the end you get some of the most intense moments out of the corps. A great moment in mind was in 08 when Regiment won, I didn't hear the last minute or so of the show. Not during their performance nor the encore when I moved down to the 4th row. Don't get me wrong, it was intense and epic and you could feel the power of the sound they were putting out, but I literally couldn't hear anything over the cheering of the crowd. Is this criminal? No, its just how it is.

I also am a huge fan of giving every corps a standing ovation when they are done with their show. As a teacher I always make my students do this in the stands because as I tell them you ALWAYS applaud the effort. Every one of those groups is working hard to put out a performance that their kids are proud of, but somebody has to come in last place, and that doesn't mean they sit on lawn chairs instead of rehearsing.

Anyhow, just my $0.02