fans sitting on their hands

Good point Jetman. I just don't understand the fascination with Twitter & Facebook & the people that feel the need to constantly tell the world what they are doing every single minute of every day.

In all fairness, if you follow the show threads, you'll see demands for more twitters and more addresses of twitterers. (tweeters?)

As I have pointed out in the past…and this season (IMO) bears it out… if there is a repeated (over multiple seasons) dominant corps in the mix and a consistent trend continuing…this is the condition that produces extreme reactions (in both directions) by the audience. Some would suggest that "it's the show stupid", and there is (admittedly) always a degree of hitting the sweet spot in design (or not) that gets the crowd pumped (or not). But IMO this is not the case in 2011. We simply have no villain to displace this year (except maybe the demons in the Cadets show :tongue: ). The current leader that is dominant has not had a title in some time. The previously dominant corps is comfortably back (in some eyes), and all of the most recently non-dominant corps have great designs that can easily be seen as title winners. So (IMO)….any crowd response is (largely) not flavored with the sentiment that "they" (the crowd) need to influence the judges or send a signal to the dominant corps. The reactions so far this season are pure and (largely) non-emotional…..just good reaction to great performances.

In short, there are no Yankees this year…….yet!

NOTE: There is evidence of this from the past, but from last year (again IMO) there was a clear change in crowd response from BC to Cavies toward the end of the season. They wanted one of them to beat BD and when it was more obvious that it would be Cavies, you could feel the change from the stands. No real change to the shows or performance….just the sense that "we're going to push Cavies in front of BD like we did with PR". And again, this has nothing to do with the remarkable designs and performances of the above mentioned corps.

....and nothing to do with reality, either. It doesn't matter how dominant a corps is or has been. I've seen defending champs and corps with long win-streaks garner the loudest crowd reaction of an event. Actually, such corps almost always rate at or near the top on the audience decibel meter.

At all the shows I've been at this year, the crowd does not seem to want to give it up for corps. I feel like ridiculous standing during shows while it seems that the rest of the stands are softer than a cricket. What gives!!

Maybe the fans aren't giving it up for the corps because the corps aren't moving them to do so? If the fans are sitting on their hands, I'd blame the corps, not the fans. It's not in the fine print on the back of the ticket that you have to be moved by a performance. If a corps isn't communicating with the audience, hopefully that corps' staff will (1) notice, (2) care, and (3) do something about it.

• Like 1

Many people didn't care for BD the last few years and many did. The point I was making (and what I thought the thread addressed) was that fans reacted with a little more emotion last year and I presented my theory "logically" as to why. I might add that you have not yet cornered the market on logic.

they did react with more emotion last year. just some got called haters for the emotion they showed :tongue:

• Like 1

At all the shows I've been at this year, the crowd does not seem to want to give it up for corps. I feel like ridiculous standing during shows while it seems that the rest of the stands are softer than a cricket. What gives!!

Yeah, I thought about this the other night when I was at the Denton, Texas show. I'm sure a part of the reason THAT bunch wasn't "giving it up" more was because the show was in Texas, and Texas crowds are just tougher (or so I've heard.) Me being an "okie", I stood and cheered, though not DURING the shows other than very, very awesome moments because I feel this is somewhat rude to the people behind you to do this. There was a part in Carolina Crown's show, during "Paint it black" where I had planned to throw up my "rock on" fingers like they do in the show when they all suddenly stop and throw up their hands and then move them back and forth. I timed it to where I moved at the exact same time and everything as them (via the fan network.) I almost didn't do it though, due to the somewhat restrained crowd, but I'm proud to say that I DID do it. Afterwards though, I did feel a little awkward about it, but that's cool. A lot of the people at the show didn't even know who was who among the corps (and I was sitting in the premium section, RIGHT ON the fifty, a couple of feet up.) When Blue Devils were setting up, I heard somebody near me ask, "Is this that group that had the mirrors last year?" I felt like slapping my forehead. Anyway, those are some thoughts for you.

NAILED IT....look at shows in the 70s\80s...many used to elicit a response from the crowd DURING the shows because they were exciting. The "art" factor has replaced the "excitement" factor for the most part and sometimes it isn't that exciting. Interesting maybe, but not always exciting or entertaining.

That's basically it in a nutshell. I feel the same way. There is no puch anymore and the music is mostly unrecognizable.

Fans are also overstimulated with jazz running drills and electronics. I saw last year when corps lean toward their roots the crowd responds to it in a possitive way. Sometimes less is more.

Maybe the fans aren't giving it up for the corps because the corps aren't moving them to do so? If the fans are sitting on their hands, I'd blame the corps, not the fans. It's not in the fine print on the back of the ticket that you have to be moved by a performance. If a corps isn't communicating with the audience, hopefully that corps' staff will (1) notice, (2) care, and (3) do something about it.

No, because they are not playing for the crowd anymore rather the elitist edumicated types or the Judges.

A Corps should know they have a good show when the crowd goes crazy and the Judges say on the tapes, "I just don't get what your doing".