** Food For Thought - DCA Open Class

LOL, 1974 was my first DCA... yep Cru is missing, "Bonnie Scots" was not part of the corps name then and got to meet some Boys of 76 members.

Us: "Wow... you came whole way from Wisconsin?"

Them: "Wow... we actually beat you guys?"

Hmmm.... southern border was Baltimore, western was Racine (last DCA trip for them) and northern was (SOUTH) Ont.

And back then, full DCA members (top 10) had to host a DCA show and I think make two DCA shows during the season. IOW - any corps outside of the Northeast really thought twice about trying for DCA and getting big bus bills.

Boys of 76 have a rich history....competing prior to WWII......finished 3rd at AL Nats in 1950 or so. I had them on an old Fleetwood platter from 1958 from Miami AL Nats along with Black Knights from Kewanee, IL and Cabs plus St. Lucy jr..... their name comes from their post #.

Growth the last 12 years. Outside the NE is amazing. I think as the economy stabilizes, maybe some inactive faces return or some a class corps move up as well as new faces add in.

People laughed at a corps from Florida or a corps from California in the late 90's. Well, look what they spawned!

1974 DCA Prelims (from Corpsreps):

VERY eastern (and only three still competing in open)

1 Hawthorne Caballeros 82.050 (still competing)

2 Reading Buccaneers 81.400 (still competing)

3 New York Skyliners 80.950

5 Connecticut Hurricanes 75.300 (still competing)

6 Rhode Island Matadors 70.400

7 Yankee Rebels 69.200

8 Guelph Royalaires 63.600

9 Long Island Sunrisers 62.900 (back to competition in Class A)

10 Erie Thunderbirds 59.150

11 Hanover Lancers 54.850

12 Emmaus Sentinels 54.300

13 Hamburg Kingsmen 52.850

14 Boys of 76 48.750

15 Westshoremen Bonnie Scots 41.000

Missing 4th (Rochester Crusaders ????.....finished 4th at finals)

Joe Dz in NJ

Hurcs were 4th, Cru was 5th at Prelims with a 71.85.

(Cru finished 5th at Finals behind Matadors)

Corpsreps is fixed...

Boys of 76 have a rich history....competing prior to WWII......finished 3rd at AL Nats in 1950 or so. I had them on an old Fleetwood platter from 1958 from Miami AL Nats along with Black Knights from Kewanee, IL and Cabs plus St. Lucy jr..... their name comes from their post #.

There is a book out with their history before WWII, great reading for anyone wondering what the corps world was like back then. Got a copy off of Amazon or another book selling website. I can still remember talking to the members during 74 Finals. I was barely 17 and had no idea what I was getting into. '76 members I talked to were older and corps savvy but very nice and friendly to this unknowing kid....

LOL, first DCA Prelims I went to in years was the second one the Renegades showed up at. Just kept looking at the scoreboard at Scranton and thinking "#### Senior corps from Cal-i-forn-i-a <$1 to Beverly Hillbillies> who'd a thunk it".

LOL, 1974 was my first DCA... yep Cru is missing, "Bonnie Scots" was not part of the corps name then and got to meet some Boys of 76 members.

They're listed as "Westshoremen Bonnie Scots" in the DCA Yearbooks for 1974...

I can change it on Corpsreps if needed?

They were the AL *AND* VFW National Champions from 1922-1925 as well...

(And the only corps to be directed by John Philip Sousa)

They're listed as "Westshoremen Bonnie Scots" in the DCA Yearbooks for 1974...

I can change it on Corpsreps if needed?

LMAO, I never got a chance to buy or even see the Yearbook. IIRC, TomP said that the name on the paperwork to be at DCA that year was "Westshoremen Bonnie Scots" so guess it's a judgement call.

Background story was that Hershman got the corps back together late 1973/early 1974 and things were hectic as Hades. Then I rode with 2 corps BoD members so I got to hear a lot of the behind the door stuff that I normally wouldn't have (or shouldn't have) heard. With all the crap going on trying to get horns, money and members together deciding on the "offical" name kept falling off the table. My guess is Larry didn't legally change the name until after he sent the Prelims paperwork. Can't image what a mess that was.... And if something would have gotten screwed up and any checks we get couldn't be cashed it would be bye bye corps.....

Just remembered that our main goal for 1974 was to put a corps on the field for 1974 Prelims... period..

LOL - did we derail Lees thread enuff....

Taking a look at the 2011 lineup of open class DCA corps -- It made me realize that it's a good thing that DCA expanded past the East Coast. Otherwise, there would only be five open class corps this year. In fact, the majority of DCA open class corps are from outside the East Coast now. Is this a first?

Check it out -

Alliance

Buccaneers

Bushwackers

Caballeros

CorpsVets

Empire Statesmen

Hurricanes

Kilties

Minnesota Brass

Renegades

Tampa Bay Thunder

p.s. This post is not a criticism of anyone or anything. Just pointing out something that surprised me when I saw the list on the DCA website.

Wait a second....I'm not from the east coast?

Eric .. he Meant outside the NORTH east coastal Region!!

Growth the last 12 years. Outside the NE is amazing. I think as the economy stabilizes, maybe some inactive faces return or some a class corps move up as well as new faces add in.

People laughed at a corps from Florida or a corps from California in the late 90's. Well, look what they spawned!

In 1995 people thought I was nuts (well!!?? ) when I brought Heat Wave up North (Scranton & Rochester) for mini corps (95 & 96) .. then thought I lost it all when we traveled to Allentown for DCA Championships in 97.. but we wanted to compete and did what we needed to do.. and from there.. others followed!

• Like 1