** Food For Thought - DCA Open Class

And while I'm on the topic, I personally believe that the Reading Buccaneers never losing a show for years and years on end is a substantial reason for the decline in the number of DCA corps and fans.

Success is not the Buccaneers fault at all, mind you, but the fact of the matter is that they have realistically turned DCA into anything but a competitive activity. Feel free to slam me, attack me, whatever ... but step back from the attacks for a second and look at where we're at ... and consider the reality of marketing a world championship competitive activity to fans and participants, where the winners have not lost in 8 years or whatever it's been. The turnaround has to start with making DCA competitive again. Not sure how that happens, but it needs to happen, or what's the point of competition? We keep heading in this direction, and it's all going to get worse before it gets better.

My .07, not the opinion of anyone but me.

There's so much more than that. IMO, DCA fans are in general older, and slowly passing on. Prices while cheaper than DCI have hurt people in this economy. and #1 I believe is finals so many years in the same place. I'm not opposed to Rachacha, but it's proven people from the upper NE and southern areas like NJ and PA won't go up there after so many years. The opposite was in effect for several years of Scranton...people from upstate NY didn't want to go year after year. Both places, as well as Allentown and Syracuse served CA well for many years, but too many times in oneplace turns people off...ask DCI with their current deal.

I will say for the record, I'm so glad Winston Salem hasn't happened, at least as of yet. That would have killed DCA. It will happen in time as the regions grow, but tings like that will happen when it's right, not just for the sake of going.

As usual, Lee takes shots at the champion instead of trying to help everyone else get to the same level.

Don't you think that having championships in the same city for 6 years might also have an impact on attendance?

What should the Bucs do? Impose penalties on themselves to keep it interesting?

Come on. In the words of Tater - "Meh"

And while I'm on the topic, I personally believe that the Reading Buccaneers never losing a show for years and years on end is a substantial reason for the decline in the number of DCA corps and fans.

Success is not the Buccaneers fault at all, mind you, but the fact of the matter is that they have realistically turned DCA into anything but a competitive activity. Feel free to slam me, attack me, whatever ... but step back from the attacks for a second and look at where we're at ... and consider the reality of marketing a world championship competitive activity to fans and participants, where the winners have not lost in 8 years or whatever it's been. The turnaround has to start with making DCA competitive again. Not sure how that happens, but it needs to happen, or what's the point of competition? We keep heading in this direction, and it's all going to get worse before it gets better.

Success is not the Buccaneers fault at all

Geez, "Ken", I think Lee was quite deliberate in saying that being successful wasn't Reading's fault.

• Like 1

Finish the quote:

"Success is not the Buccaneers fault at all, mind you, but the fact of the matter is that they have realistically turned DCA into anything but a competitive activity."

Success isn't their fault, but turning DCA into anything but a competitive activity is. Right?

He's just taking jabs as he has been for years.

Once again, to quote Taters "Meh"

,.................a few posts back, someone listed the prelims scores from 1974,........look, we took 10th with a 59something :shutup: ...........DCA is surely more compeditive today in the overall level of product on the field in finals, there can be no doubt about that,........as you also cannot dispute that the higher level of acheiving corps are coming from across the country, and that is a great thing,.....in those days, the spread from first to tenth usually exceeded 30 points, last year it was what, 12 maybe?.......

• Like 1

The past few years i ownly attended preliums,1 I get to see all corps no matter what size .2 given the fact that Reading has won 6 in a row ,kinda of knew who was going to win .I think most corps are better in preliums ,they know its all on the line to make finals .So i stayed for preliums saw them all got the placements in my year book .Spent money at a lot of the tables from all the corps .Drove back home on sunday ,looked up the finals on my computor to see if any thing had changed .And had a great week-end .Minn .Brass has been in the chase now a few years ,sooner or later Readings win streak will come to an end.Until then all corps must up the game .

Edited by Florida Sun

Excellent observation, a list of open class corps no longer active would also serve to highlight the reality of the current state of DCA.

p.s. This post is not a criticism of anyone or anything. Just pointing out something that surprised me that ouy won't on the DCA website

Anyone of us here that marched in the 70's and 80's could probably list from memory, the corps no longer competing. Of the five DCA corps I marched with, only ONE is still competing.

I disagree, I think the Buc's success is totally their fault. Those darn Bucs.

Excellent observation, a list of open class corps no longer active would also serve to highlight the reality of the current state of DCA.

p.s. This post is not a criticism of anyone or anything. Just pointing out something that surprised me that ouy won't on the DCA website

Unfortunately the same thing goes for DCI as far as defunct corps. My sad thought is always 1993 DCA when 13 corps showed up for Prelims. Out of the 13, only 7 are still around in decent shape. Only good thing was it woke DCA up enough to realize they had to change to survive. Hell I predicted Sr corps would be gone by 2000.

Edited by JimF-LowBari