Electronics Debate 2011

although I am not opposed to electronics or anything new I do agree that some usage and how it is judged is certainly an issue.I do think if there are issues with electronics it should reflect in the score...if a corps chooses to use them and its not working well thats their problem either fix it, or dont use it or face the consequences. If in guard I choose to use a heavier flag or a piece of equipment not to the norm ( cadets poles) and it sucks,,,, well thats my problem same should be with elecrronics.......................hey got a question for Percussion people...when did the pit become not loud enough...I admit Im not a drum person but I do remember tapes in the 90s saying OMG the pit is so loud, now they arent loud enough? lol :tongue:

I'm past arguing to eliminate. it's the usage and how it's NOT judged that's my beef.

IMO, the pit was always fine volume wise to me. I remember being at the top of the stadium in 01 and hearing pits, especially fine.

the biggest pro for it was how it would adjust techqniue. Well, Cavies sounded fine and their members didn't seem to have wrist issues. Approach helps a lot. I will agree it has allowed for more mallet selection choices, but even with softer mallets, heights are NOT...7 years later...appreciably lower. Nor has techniques adapted that much.

Like pretty much everything has been proven in any proposal involving amps and electronics, it's all ########.

Remember, being able to control the sound from anywhere this year would fix it all. Except it hasn't. From reading on here and seeing stuff online, this year is the worst yet

I'm past arguing to eliminate. it's the usage and how it's NOT judged that's my beef.

IMO, the pit was always fine volume wise to me. I remember being at the top of the stadium in 01 and hearing pits, especially fine.

the biggest pro for it was how it would adjust techqniue. Well, Cavies sounded fine and their members didn't seem to have wrist issues. Approach helps a lot. I will agree it has allowed for more mallet selection choices, but even with softer mallets, heights are NOT...7 years later...appreciably lower. Nor has techniques adapted that much.

Like pretty much everything has been proven in any proposal involving amps and electronics, it's all ########.

Remember, being able to control the sound from anywhere this year would fix it all. Except it hasn't. From reading on here and seeing stuff online, this year is the worst yet

thats what I didnt get I agree pits were loud enough at times to loud with the placement now if they said its different electronic sounds we want ok I can understand that But volume? dont get it

not completely true or the whole picture.....its a small picture as Im told and thats why corps wont change it.ughhhhh..u always know how to get me...lol....... :tongue: and we were getting along so well hehehehe :smile:

the loss of ticket revenue has hurt DCI, which is the corps...less tickets sold=less cash to the corps.

Hence the push for the G7...a way for top acts to get more $$. Yet they don't see their decision in programming, electronics and the tour set up hurts them financially. They can make all kinds of changes, but when they bomb, there's no accountability. It's always someone else's fault.

yes...the economy has hurt. But it onther big recessions, DCI had more paying fans. Wonder why

thats what I didnt get I agree pits were loud enough at times to loud with the placement now if they said its different electronic sounds we want ok I can understand that But volume? dont get it

like all proposals having to do with A&E, it's all artistic desires with all kinds of flowery BS thrown in to scare people it was needed.

the loss of ticket revenue has hurt DCI, which is the corps...less tickets sold=less cash to the corps.

Hence the push for the G7...a way for top acts to get more $$. Yet they don't see their decision in programming, electronics and the tour set up hurts them financially. They can make all kinds of changes, but when they bomb, there's no accountability. It's always someone else's fault.

yes...the economy has hurt. But it onther big recessions, DCI had more paying fans. Wonder why

i can agree with all of it........to a point BUT I also think that drum corps in general doesnt attracts the kind of person it did 20 30 40 years ago...so many more options for kids now. I remember a big part of the activity was social at a show, sitting and watching the competition..that happens so rarely now. corps leave to the next place.....even audiance ( younger ) you can sit in the stands and watch all the texting, even to some of their friends 2 rows down...........different world , different kid, different loyalty if any.

i can agree with all of it........to a point BUT I also think that drum corps in general doesnt attracts the kind of person it did 20 30 40 years ago...so many more options for kids now. I remember a big part of the activity was social at a show, sitting and watching the competition..that happens so rarely now. corps leave to the next place.....even audiance ( younger ) you can sit in the stands and watch all the texting, even to some of their friends 2 rows down...........different world , different kid, different loyalty if any.

but as they have seen, if prices rise and the product/location doesn't appeal, it hurts the bottom line.

I expect Allentown attendance to be way up, because I know MANY people going there instead of Indy...myself included

although I am not opposed to electronics or anything new I do agree that some usage and how it is judged is certainly an issue.I do think if there are issues with electronics it should reflect in the score...if a corps chooses to use them and its not working well thats their problem either fix it, or dont use it or face the consequences. If in guard I choose to use a heavier flag or a piece of equipment not to the norm ( cadets poles) and it sucks,,,, well thats my problem same should be with elecrronics.......................hey got a question for Percussion people...when did the pit become not loud enough...I admit Im not a drum person but I do remember tapes in the 90s saying OMG the pit is so loud, now they arent loud enough? lol :tongue:

When I came up, I always wanted to hear more of the front ensemble (probably due to being a percussion guy). I would guess that the perception changed gradually as the capabilities of the players changed. If you look at a lot of the front ensembles when they were first grounded, most of the players played exclusively 2 mallet parts, often doubling wind parts, or playing runs. As more and more young players were exposed to 4 mallet techniques, the pit took on its own voice, almost as a piano accompanist, playing entirely different material from the brass. By the late 90s, pretty much everyone in the front line of any given front ensemble was playing exclusively 4 mallets, which is an inherently quieter technique than 2 mallets. That's when the desire for some amplification started to surface. Every step of the way, there has been resistance to the expanded role of the front ensemble. I love it, but I understand that some don't. That being said, I still think the judging in the music captions can still do a better job of holding groups accountable when their balance isn't right. There's a saying in the winter circuits that if you put it on the floor, you should expect it to be judged. I think that's applicable in this case.

• Like 1

:smile:

When I came up, I always wanted to hear more of the front ensemble (probably due to being a percussion guy). I would guess that the perception changed gradually as the capabilities of the players changed. If you look at a lot of the front ensembles when they were first grounded, most of the players played exclusively 2 mallet parts, often doubling wind parts, or playing runs. As more and more young players were exposed to 4 mallet techniques, the pit took on its own voice, almost as a piano accompanist, playing entirely different material from the brass. By the late 90s, pretty much everyone in the front line of any given front ensemble was playing exclusively 4 mallets, which is an inherently quieter technique than 2 mallets. That's when the desire for some amplification started to surface. Every step of the way, there has been resistance to the expanded role of the front ensemble. I love it, but I understand that some don't. That being said, I still think the judging in the music captions can still do a better job of holding groups accountable when their balance isn't right. There's a saying in the winter circuits that if you put it on the floor, you should expect it to be judged. I think that's applicable in this case.

thanks

:smile: i also agree about being judged if its put out there////common sense i think

Not quite. Being able to control form anywhere would afford corps the *opportunity* to fix it. Big difference. Corps using untrained staffers as "sound engineers", cobbled-together indoor percussion sound systems and the like are going to sound like crap no matter how much DCI spoon-feeds them.

but as they have seen, if prices rise and the product/location doesn't appeal, it hurts the bottom line.

I expect Allentown attendance to be way up, because I know MANY people going there instead of Indy...myself included

i can buy that...i'll wave from the field to ya in allentown :united: no not a mm..hehehehe i wish