Electronics Debate 2011

they dont have to bottom line if thats not where they want to be..thats like saying do your drill and music from the 70s and prove it doesnt work..i guess i get what youre saying but we can do the prove game in every decades changes

I expect you were replying from a smart phone because I can't really make out your whole meaning here. I'm not used to that from you. So, let me see if I got it before I reply:

Doing a show without synths=70's drill and music? If that's what you thought, then no, you didn't get what I was saying. Or you did and I didn't get what you were saying! In any case, I'm not saying drum corps should play the "prove it" game in the face of every change. Just this one.

Does anyone else remember a rather strong rumor that Crossmen were going synthless this year? Yep, didn't happen. No ding on Crossmen in my eyes, it was a rumor after all, but there sure were some excited fans looking forward to that possibility.

If we are about diversity of design style, why is diversity of synth/non-synth such a hot button for some people? I just don't get it.

I think we are seeing, if anything, this personal dislike of electronics by most, is here to stay. There were plenty of fruitful conversations about G to Bb a few years ago, but they slowly faded with time, now we just get glimpses of them. The electronics thing has been loud and prominent on the forum and doesn't seem to be fading. Maybe that indicates something in of itself?

Good point. If "electronics are here to stay" is a valid argument, then so is "dislike of electronics is here to stay".

• Like 2

Anybody else annoyed with all the electronics and mics?

Obviously many people are. And I think there are consistent aesthetic and philosophical grounds for denouncing their use. (I am bothered most that corps have decided that only their horn and battery players are competent to control their own volume, turning the rest over to a staff person.) But these general arguments fall on deaf ears. So to bolster your argument, I recommend calling out specific instances (the Fan Network, to which so many subscribe, makes it possible to identify the exact moment in a particular performance), when the use of electronics or amplification either sounds bad or shows creative inadequacy.

But these general arguments fall on deaf ears. So to bolster your argument, I recommend calling out specific instances (the Fan Network, to which so many subscribe, makes it possible to identify the exact moment in a particular performance), when the use of electronics or amplification either sounds bad or shows creative inadequacy.

For me it's not that easy, because it's all of them. Basically, for me, the exact moment that electronics first makes a corps sound worse, is the moment that the "on" switch is engaged. I'm not joking.

• Like 1

I expect you were replying from a smart phone because I can't really make out your whole meaning here. I'm not used to that from you. So, let me see if I got it before I reply:

Doing a show without synths=70's drill and music? If that's what you thought, then no, you didn't get what I was saying. Or you did and I didn't get what you were saying! In any case, I'm not saying drum corps should play the "prove it" game in the face of every change. Just this one.

Does anyone else remember a rather strong rumor that Crossmen were going synthless this year? Yep, didn't happen. No ding on Crossmen in my eyes, it was a rumor after all, but there sure were some excited fans looking forward to that possibility.

If we are about diversity of design style, why is diversity of synth/non-synth such a hot button for some people? I just don't get it.

not sure where you and I are on this BUT..i do agree ( if thats what were saying ) that corps should be able to do both or not...It should be a choice of the corps and not feel forced to use something..anything new just because they feel they have to. With anything I dont want to see or hear multiples of ANYTHING...over and over and over...........oh yes it was a phone..lol

I dont mind few, select electronic moments. I dont like what bluecoats did last year, and I really dont like the singing in the middle of "XtraordinarY" this year. I dont like Crown's electronics at all either this year.

I think electronics are fine when used in moderation and tastefully. I liked what cavaliers did last year in mad world with electronics, but most of the time I cant stand pre recorded music or things of that nature blasting out of a speaker. I dont like alteration of brass sound (aka Bluecoats 2010) Brass sounds amazing as is... why do you have to go and ruin it?

But thats just me.

I roll my eyes at most of the comments made on DCP too.

And yet, I am not a director or a designer.

Most comments come down to complaining about something you folks aren't able to fix. So, you complain. You rarely, if ever, offer a solution which is feasible in the eyes of those who govern or actively participate in DCI in management positions.

People have gone to the lengths of emailing each corps director, Dan Acheson, the world, but you know what....attendance is up at many shows...you can't slow down drum corps as much as some try to turn the clock back.

That's my impression of how things are going.

I'm sorry this discussion has made you so upset, Tom. I can't really understand why you've felt the need to argue against us even having this discussion. Some of us like to vent about things that bug us. Even if the complaining doesn't affect change, well sometimes it's cathartic.

Very few discussions here ever cover new territory or new topics or provide new information. It's just hash after rehash of the same old meaningless stuff--which show is better, which corps is better, how shows ought to be judged, what's the latest 13th and 14th place drama, who's going to win, who should've won, what changes are being made, what should be changed. Nothing said here may ever change a blip of a show, or matter one bit to the judges. So what? It's fun to talk about it. And if you don't like the topic at hand, then you can skip over that thread and move on.

It's all good! Enjoy the time you spend here, and don't stress out over what other people worry about! :thumbup:

Now, to stay on topic... are there any great uses of electronics this year? I have to say that Crown's show wouldn't work quite as well without the piano synth. It helps that they have a really talented player. In general, I think Crown has been one of the better corps at using synths, although I quibble with the choice of playing the Over the Rainbow "celesta" solo on synth in 09. That was crying out to be a glock or bells solo--which 2008's Clair de Lune opener was. That said, until I saw the finals video, I had always thought it *was* a glock solo, so I guess that shows how much I know.

All that said I think Rach Star could still have worked without synths, and it would have been a more interesting show had they pulled it off.

Edited by skywhopper

Mods....what do I have to do? Do I have to personally attack someone in this thread...spin it dangerously off topic....fill it with demonic, political diatribes in order to get the thread closed? I know I would face a one month banishment...but it might be worth it.

Better...can any of the mods provide me a way to search all the previous threads on the use of Electronics so I can ask you to close this one and we can add our thoughts to one of all the other previous threads on this subject?

Like that would make any difference. There would be just as much rolling of eyes over an old thread being brought back to life.

I believe I've explained this to you once before....but for everyone's benefit:

Popular topics recur for a number of reasons.

1. Some time has passed since last discussed, and previous threads are not easily found.

2. People new to DCP wander in, and start a topic without realizing it has been discussed before.

3. People new to DCP wander in, actually search for topics of interest, and dredge up a months-old thread.

4. Someone has something to add to the discussion....observations of the latest season, a new train of thought, whatever.

A&E is certainly not the only such recurring topic. I can guarantee that no matter how many times we've beaten these dead horses, there will be another thread someday about:

- Free the Ken Kobold tapes!

- What was the 1975 Muchachos prelim score?

- Why were 1977 Bridgemen disqualified?

- Why weren't 1989 SCV disqualified?

- Why isn't (OP's favorite corps) scoring higher?

- Predict DCI Championship placements

- Favorite nth-place corps

- Finals should be held in (OP's home state)

- Check out this YouTube link (link deleted by mods)

For the sake of new readers, discussions should be allowed to recur. Those of us that don't want to revisit them over and over again can simply click on some other thread instead.

• Like 1

I personally don't see a purpose in bringing up a thread devoted to this as almost every thread on this forum has this discussion come up at some point (with the same earth shattering declarations), but it's fine. It does seem DCP as a whole doesn't like electronics, but who knows what the other 99% of fans feel about it.