Odessa Tumbleweed Extravaganza

As a wise man once said, "If it's broke, fix it!" Academy never seems to be able to make that final push and it is obvious that they just don't get the info they need to make their show a "no-brainer" to make finals. They just don't seem to be paying their dues like Troopers, Gmen, Spirit, Colts and Crossmen have done with their blood, sweat, and tears on the competition field! :satisfied:

Given that The Academy has only been in World Class for four complete seasons so far, this seems like a bit of excessive criticism. I think you might also find there are corps who tour more extensively who have not been making it into finals regularly either.

Edited by Photographer Jim
  • Like 2

And in the midwest for that matter.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but not a lot else is going on, soooo...

Help me out, but if I recall correctly, DCI tour was roughly the last month of the season leading up to finals. Everything prior to that was regional shows leading up to regional championships. So, yes, there were a lot more regionally based shows.

Since the abolishment of the DCM, et al. circuits, we've lost Capital Regiment, Capitol Sound, Southwind, and Magic...just to name 4 off the top of my head. Now, I know some of these were due to woeful mismanagement. But, I have to believe that joining a national tour played a part in that. That's just 4, but what if those 4 were still around and some of these smaller corps (Revolution, etc) were allowed to strengthen under a regional model and then hit a regional and a couple of shows leading up to finals? Wouldn't that be productive and help the activity to grow? Rather than 5 or 6 TOC shows all over the country?

Just thinking out loud...

It would make it more fun when the corps finally meet too!

It would be neat... because you can't compare corps that are at different shows!?!?!? .... :tongue:

Help me out, but if I recall correctly, DCI tour was roughly the last month of the season leading up to finals. Everything prior to that was regional shows leading up to regional championships. So, yes, there were a lot more regionally based shows.

Since the abolishment of the DCM, et al. circuits, we've lost Capital Regiment, Capitol Sound, Southwind, and Magic...just to name 4 off the top of my head. Now, I know some of these were due to woeful mismanagement. But, I have to believe that joining a national tour played a part in that. That's just 4, but what if those 4 were still around and some of these smaller corps (Revolution, etc) were allowed to strengthen under a regional model and then hit a regional and a couple of shows leading up to finals? Wouldn't that be productive and help the activity to grow? Rather than 5 or 6 TOC shows all over the country?

Well, there you go using common sense when talking about DCI.

When will you learn ? :shutup:

Yep, not to mention the countless div 2\3 corps we've lost in the last decade. Go pull up d2\3 prelims scores from the early 2000s or even 05 and then pull up last years... its so much smaller... which we kinda already knew, but it really hits you when you just look at the list and go 'gone.. gone... gone... gone..'

Given that The Academy has only been in World Class for four complete seasons so far, this seems like a bit of excessive criticism. I think you might also find there are corps who tour more extensively who have not been making it into finals regularly either.

I respect Academy for their musicallity and talent, but, I can't see them being a permanent fixture in the top of DCI until they march a full schedule of shows!

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider it hijacking...no one is tweeting Odessa at all...I've been watching...

If they had regional again...I think the it should be up to the corps themselves which region they want to compete in...obviously struggling groups would remain local, but then you could have lets say Blue Devils tour in the Northeast or something like that...I'll reserve most of my opinions on TOC shows till after this season..but at face value I just don't think they help the activity as a whole grow at all...

Or how about a lottery for those corps that choose to try a different region other than their local region? ...just a thought

Edited by Liahona

anyone know who's on? :devil: (you know, thread topic and all....)

Also, unless DCI is willing to split its tours into regions and have the sheets and judges all be under the same umbrella, regional touring will not work.

and now.... show thread. GO!