Why is this happening

For the second time this season, Madison has magically and overnight dropped below several corps. Earlier this season, Madison was in around 5th or 6th place beating Bluecoats by 3 points. So now Madison was in a battle for 6-9 Then, in Madison, all of a sudden Bluecoats are beating them by two full points. Last night, two corps Madison was beating have flipped over Madison...in just one night. Reading between the lines, one could say that will include Blue Stars as well since the have been beating Blue Knights. this means that in a manner of a couple of weeks, Madison has gone from a middle of the pack top 12 corps to one that is fighting to make finals.

What gives?

• Like 1

Maybe Madison has peaked? Maybe the other corps have gotten better? Maybe who knows? Comparing scores from separate shows never works. We'll know more on Saturday.

• Like 2

Get on the bus of people who can make no sense of scores this year, me included. Blue Stars start the season 2 pts plus behind Scouts, steadily climb to within .4, then overnight get slammed back into the 2 pt spread and get stuck in cement while corps they've had a comfortable lead on all summer pass them up. Scouts continue to climb and look as competitive as ever for 6th and now this. This isn't just "not slotting" it's wildly inconsistent scoring.

• Like 2

For the second time this season, Madison has magically and overnight dropped below several corps. Earlier this season, Madison was in around 5th or 6th place beating Bluecoats by 3 points. So now Madison was in a battle for 6-9 Then, in Madison, all of a sudden Bluecoats are beating them by two full points. Last night, two corps Madison was beating have flipped over Madison...in just one night. Reading between the lines, one could say that will include Blue Stars as well since the have been beating Blue Knights. this means that in a manner of a couple of weeks, Madison has gone from a middle of the pack top 12 corps to one that is fighting to make finals.

What gives?

My Magic Drum Corps 8 Ball says the following:

"Picture cloudy at present, expect more clarity beginning tomorrow."

What gives?

According to a POST in the Madison thread, they have some members struggling with illness, especially in the battery. Hopefully that's the reason for the drop and its not something nefarious. The Scouts have a great show and I think their placement in the 6-9 range was warranted IMHO, but I haven't seen anyone live in a few weeks so what do I know. ;)

Earlier this season, Madison was in around 5th or 6th place beating Bluecoats by 3 points. So now Madison was in a battle for 6-9

Don't get me wrong, as I love Madison's show this year, but the Madison Scouts have gone head to head 5 times this year against the Bluecoats, and are 0-5 against the Bluecoats with the average spread margin slightly over 2 points ( 1.8-3.00 spreads ). So where do you get the Madison Scouts " beating Bluecoats by 3 points " figure ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

First off I'm not trying to be rude or insensitive but alot of corps are having illness issues. One of my former students in BK has the grunge and did not march last night. I hope all the Madison members feel better soon as well as those in other corps. Judges are not going to hammer you for that however. In fact the perc score for Mad was closer to BK than it's been at anytime this season and half the snares were missing. Madison got beat handily by BK in GE last night and was the main culprit of their demise.

I know that Madison fans are reacting shocked and u shouldn't be!! BK BAC BStars and Madison have top 8 talent this year but only 1 of them is going to get the spot! Madison started strong out of the gate but to the OP of this thread, they never beat Bluecoats and Boston and Bstars have been competitive with them since the beginning. I think when Madison was the top dog in a lot of smaller shows it gave the appearance they were going to be top 5-6 this summer, but thats exactly why scores at the beg and at shows without full panels don't count for much! I think instead of bemoaning why Madison got best last night u should ask yourself... Isn't great that we're in the middle of the season and we have NO IDEA how final placements will turn out? I also think BAC and BK deserve a lot more credit for beating Madison than is given to them! It's one show, Tonights a new night! All corps have score fluxes and it's the way it is when everyone is super competitive!:-)

Wes P

BK 97 98

• Like 1

My Magic Drum Corps 8 Ball says the following:

"Picture cloudy at present, expect more clarity beginning tomorrow."

I don't think we'll have " more clarity beginnning tomorrow " at all. I think we'll see volatility like this all the way to Finals Night, and including Finals Night itself. The tone was set for this year in my opinion on the very first opening season 2 shows in Texas in June where within 24 hours we had major flip flops in placements and score spreads. And its continued from there. I think that judges right now, for whatever reason, are seemingly more willing this year to have differences of opinion among their collegues in the evaluations.

Edited by BRASSO