The Stars at Night are Big and Bright...

Wow, I was there last night at the TOC Houston show.... and I have to say out of the 30+ years of watching live drum corps shows, this was in my top 5. I can't believe how good it was. The stadium, the WEATHER (nice not too hot or humid), and of course the interactive show with the audience. Lots and lots of great drum corps.

I thought CROWN really rocked the house, with lots of fun and familiar stuff for the audience. And the mass hornline from all 8 corps up in the audience face???? INSANE!!

Roger

• Like 2

Nope. Im just questioning the judges and the system.

I dont understand the discrepencies from night to night. One night a corps can have an 8.0 in content, the very next night compete against the same corps and then score a 7.2 or an 8.6. In one day, with no rehearsal/show changes how does a score fluctuate so much. Until someone can give me a concrete answer Im going to go off the assumption of judges personal biases, likes/dislikes.

I'm sure judges' bias enters into it. Maybe a little bit which corps is on, but I'd bet more what style of marching or spinning or playing is on display compared with the judges' own training.

But I think you're discounting the fact that what an "8.0" means in a particular subcaption is impossible to define objectively. And human beings are not consistent with themselves. One judge might see the exact same performance on two different nights but score it differently depending on how much caffeine she's had or what the previous corps was like.

There's numbers management that has to happen, too. The exact numbers have everything to do with what other corps have already gone, what corps are still remaining, how many corps are performing that day, and plenty of other factors. Shuffle up the order of the top eight corps like the TOC show has, and the judges have to be careful with the numbers. Cavies have been winning, but they're on third out of eight. You have to leave room between Bluecoats and Cavies for other groups, but not so much that then if Cavies end up third or fourth in your subcaption you have to give the corps who came in first a 9.8 because it's way too early for that.

And for the TOC shows in particular, these are different sheets with different criteria. We don't know what has changed, but I would be inclined to credit at least some of the fluctuations in TOC scores to the sheets.

Honestly I'm surprised the scores are as stable as they are.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

Wow, I was there last night at the TOC Houston show.... and I have to say out of the 30+ years of watching live drum corps shows, this was in my top 5. I can't believe how good it was. The stadium, the WEATHER (nice not too hot or humid), and of course the interactive show with the audience. Lots and lots of great drum corps.

I thought CROWN really rocked the house, with lots of fun and familiar stuff for the audience. And the mass hornline from all 8 corps up in the audience face???? INSANE!!

Roger

Thanks for saying what many hoped would be the result of this great experiment. There are far too many negative vibes on DCP concerning this effort and it's refreshing to see someone gets it!

It was a great show. The interactive was cool, Cadets members were greeting fans entering the stadium. They did have all the fans entering through one entrance, and it was a small cluster. 4 turnstiles to get in.

I was on the 30 on the top level, and all shows were fantastic. Phantom had the biggest crowd reaction on the top. I heard the Vanguard call from a part of the stands, but not from my area. Stilt walkers were way cool. Loved the melody from BD. Best effect of the night was the Cadets Battle. The lights reflecting from the "swords" was impressive. Crown was fun, and the crowd bought into the first ending, big time.

Mass Encore was very very loud and better than I expected it to be. My ears were ringing when I got home, and this is a good thing.

From the pics I have seen, I think it was the largest crowd for a show at the Berry Center.

Thanks for saying what many hoped would be the result of this great experiment. There are far too many negative vibes on DCP concerning this effort and it's refreshing to see someone gets it!

It's a win win...and I can't wait to see the show at Giants Stadium.

What did I tell you???

these scores are a JOKE!!!! Especially where Debbie T is concerned.

I am very anti Debbie! :devil:

• Like 1

[quote name='GREENBLUE' timestamp='1311409959'

Thats my point....oh and btw theres not many on DCP or in the drum corps community who thinks BD has a better visual package/design then the Cadets and Cavies this year, sorry.

So you speak for the drum corps community..do you?. Well I guess we should just go to you when we want to know what everyone thinks! Judges are great when they agree with you and politcal or prejudice when they don't. Utterly transparent!