Crown

Scouts

Phantom

BD

Cavs

Bluecoats

BK

Troops

These are my personal choices for my top 10 shows of the year. I know there are 11 ... but I'm starting to embrace the idea of a tie taking just one place. Like I have two favorite movies right now and the next on the list is still number 2. That's why you see a tie for fourth here, but the next is still fifth instead of sixth.

1) Carolina Crown -- Rach Star

2) Blue Stars -- ReBourne

3) Madison Scouts -- New York Morning

4) The Cadets -- Between Angels and Demons

4) Boston Crusaders -- Revolution

5) Santa Clara Vanguard -- The Devil's Staircase

6) Phantom Regiment -- Juliet

7) Spirit of Atlanta -- ATL Confidential: a Tribute to Film Noir

8) Troopers -- The Road Home

9) Blue Devils -- The Beat My Heart Skipped

10) Cascades -- Pandora: A Dark Gift

1) The Cavaliers

2) The Cadets

3) Santa Clara Vanguard

4) Blue Devils

5) Bluecoats

6) Blue Stars

7) Blue Knights

8) Boston Crusaders

9) Phantom Regiment

10) Glassmen

Cavalier shows are boring.

I know my post here is going to be off topic, but I feel it has to be said.

There have been quite a few shows recently that I would say do fit this description. I have found certain Cavaliers shows of the past 12 seasons to be WAY too mechanical. Exceptions would be Niagara Falls (2000), Four Corners (2001), Spin Cycle (2003), 007 (2004) and Samurai (2008). I know they are the Green Machine ... but that doesn't mean they should abandon musicality and melody.

Someone else in this thread was talking about how some people don't dig visual over music and that's the only reason we don't like Cavaliers. This is Drum and Bugle Corps! Not Marching and Maneuvering Corps! Visual is supposed to add to the music and not take precedence. I'm sorry. I go to a Drum Corps show to be moved by the music the corps are playing and when Visual takes precedence ... the musical program ends up failing ... in my opinion. That is why the Cavaliers shows, for the most part, have mostly been boring to me over the past 12 seasons.

This year's show is probably the grossest example of my point. I feel like they sat down to design a visual program based on the most gimmicky visuals they could think of ... things not normally seen in Drum Corps ... and then built the music around it. It is the epitome of mechanical for me.

Sorry ... just had to get that off my chest.

• Like 2

Exactly, I don't like it because they are just doing the same stuff as with the 2000-2006 editions. It is boring. The show lacks emotion, it lacks cheese. I like to be entertained, you know the way drum corps used to be.

Prime example of how opinions can vary widely, person to person.

I find their show just as entertaining as any others in the top 12. Those who say it lacks melody, well, sorry, I can't take you seriously.

Edited by dcsnare93

If you can't find music and melody in Nature Boy and Jungle Tango and the Bach that they weave throughout the whole show, there's nothing more to be said.

Edited by jaylogan
  • Like 4

So I've only seen about half the corps live (Stanford & Denver), but have seen the rest on Fan Network (always dangerous to make conclusions from there). Here are my favs so far:

1. Phantom Regiment

2. Academy

3. Blue Knights

4. Crown

5. Blue Devils

6. Cadets

7. Boston

8. Madison

9. Crossmen

10. SCV

Harvey