TOC: A Few Thoughts

The next step-down in seat price for this show is at the $75 level BTW...just saying...

So? You said you wouldn't pay $125 for a ticket to the TOC. Okay. You don't have to. There are tickets on sale for $29. Anyone who says a show with last year's top eight corps in August isn't worth $29 isn't a proper drum corps fan in my opinion.

It doesn't take $125 or even $75 to experience and enjoy what likely will be eight of this year's top 10 drum corps. If you did want to afford such premium tickets, it bears mentioning that you're getting the best seats in one of the country's best stadiums for top drum corps during finals week. All in all, not necessarily a bad value.

For what it's worth, I bought a $49 ticket for that TOC event. I bet the entertainment value to me will be a lot more than $50.

HH

Edited by glory
  • Like 4

As it has been said in another thread ... all but one of the corps in the 2011 TOC are Champions.

Blue Stars -- A60 Champs in '89, 2-Time Div III Champs in '93 and 2003

Santa Clara Vanguard -- 6-Time World Champions in '73, '74, '78, '81, '89 and '99 (tie with Blue Devils)

Phantom Regiment -- 2-Time World Champions in '96 (tie with Blue Devils) and 2008

Carolina Crown -- Div II Champions in '93

The Cadets -- 9-Time World Champions in '83, '84, '85, '87, '90, '93, '98, 2000 (tie with Cavaliers), and 2005

The Cavaliers -- 7-Time World Champions in '92, '95, 2000 (tie with Cadets), 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2006

Blue Devils -- 14-Time World Champions in '76, '77, '79, '80, '82, '86, '94, '96 (tie with Phantom), '97, '99 (tie with Vanguard), 2003, 2007, 2009 and 2010.

The only corps that is not a DCI Champion in some way are the Bluecoats. As far as I know, and I researched this to make sure, Bluecoats have always been in what we now know as World Class the entire time they have been competing in DCI Competitions and, they have never won on Finals night.

So, just saying ... all but one of the eight in TOC this year are previous champions in some way.

And one bona fide 2 time champion snubbed.

• Like 2

Forgive me if I missed this addressed somewhere else in the thread....

It's come to my attention that the TOC shows have become QUITE an advantage for those eight corps. Let me explain.

7/17, Rockford.....no other show anywhere in the Midwest. Non TOC corps have a dead night (rehearsal day) no appearance fee.

7/22, Houston......non TOC corps go to Odessa, an extra 400 mile round trip the night before first major regional (San Antonio)

7/31, Rock Hill, SC..non TOC corps haul to Orlando (from Atlanta)(ATL to Orlando, 441 mi one way) (ATL to Rock Hill, 234 mi, no return trip needed)

8/7, East Rutherford...non TOC corps go to Erie PA (94 mi vs 370 mi from Allentown) This one is balanced out in that Erie is closer to Indy.

When this was discussed in the off season, it was touted as a way for these "elite" corps to be compensated for their quality and history. It wasn't apparent (but is now) that logistically it is also providing these corps with a significant competitive advantage as well. It would seem to me to be patently unfair for the governing body to foster an advantage to particular units.

Interesting to me that these TOC shows are utilizing elements (retreat, instant encores, etc) that are rooted in things that we have pared away from the activity in recent years. We're all equal but some are more equal than others.

• Like 1

So? You said you wouldn't pay $125 for a ticket to the TOC. Okay. You don't have to. There are tickets on sale for $29. Anyone who says a show with last year's top eight corps in August isn't worth $29 isn't a proper drum corps fan in my opinion.

It doesn't take $125 or even $75 to experience and enjoy what likely will be eight of this year's top 10 drum corps. If you did want to afford such premium tickets, it bears mentioning that you're getting the best seats in one of the country's best stadiums for top drum corps during finals week. All in all, not necessarily a bad value.

For what it's worth, I bought a $49 ticket for that TOC event. I bet the entertainment value to me will be a lot more than $50.

HH

OK. Now multiply that 5 times. That's what I'd have to pay for my family.

Again, the "extras" DCI is touting for the ToC shows are just not worth it when I have to pay that much. Especially when it's the same price I paid last year to see 3-4 more corps in the same time frame.

Interesting how the tickets for the San Antonio regional and DCI Houston were pretty close in price and there were 17 more corps in SA.

• Like 2

Forgive me if I missed this addressed somewhere else in the thread....

It's come to my attention that the TOC shows have become QUITE an advantage for those eight corps. Let me explain.

7/17, Rockford.....no other show anywhere in the Midwest. Non TOC corps have a dead night (rehearsal day) no appearance fee.

7/22, Houston......non TOC corps go to Odessa, an extra 400 mile round trip the night before first major regional (San Antonio)

7/31, Rock Hill, SC..non TOC corps haul to Orlando (from Atlanta)(ATL to Orlando, 441 mi one way) (ATL to Rock Hill, 234 mi, no return trip needed)

8/7, East Rutherford...non TOC corps go to Erie PA (94 mi vs 370 mi from Allentown) This one is balanced out in that Erie is closer to Indy.

When this was discussed in the off season, it was touted as a way for these "elite" corps to be compensated for their quality and history. It wasn't apparent (but is now) that logistically it is also providing these corps with a significant competitive advantage as well. It would seem to me to be patently unfair for the governing body to foster an advantage to particular units.

Interesting to me that these TOC shows are utilizing elements (retreat, instant encores, etc) that are rooted in things that we have pared away from the activity in recent years. We're all equal but some are more equal than others.

I think this is a good point. My only argument against it would be that the governing body is made up of the directors themselves. They all get a vote. And the executive board that was made up of some the "G7" directors was changed in a vote that removed two of the players involved. In other words, this could not really have happened without the agreement of the corps not involved in the TOC. At least that's how I understand it.

While that is true....Whether you want to claim semantics or not..."Tournament of Champions" is a very deceptive name in and of itself IMO...Sorry it just is deceptive whether you want to admit it or not...Does that matter from a marketing perspective?...not really because most advertising IMO is deceptive in one form or another anyway...

As far as I'm concerned, the name of these events is just that... a name, used for marketing purposes. I have no problem with it.

In professional golf, what used to be called the PGA Senior Tour is now the Champions Tour.

Not every golfer who plays in those tournaments has won a championship. It's a marketing device.

• Like 1

I think this is a good point. My only argument against it would be that the governing body is made up of the directors themselves. They all get a vote. And the executive board that was made up of some the "G7" directors was changed in a vote that removed two of the players involved. In other words, this could not really have happened without the agreement of the corps not involved in the TOC. At least that's how I understand it.

For many observers, that DCI's board approved the ToC proves little, because they believe that the ToC was a compromise meant to persuade the G7 not to secede from DCI.

• Like 1

You're kidding, right? Pay more?? I am one of those fans on a tight budget! This show was the same price it was last year for one night that had 11-12 corps competing and you want to them to increase the charge because there are a few extras that make the ToC shows drag on for what seems to be an eternity? Do you realize, in comparing San Antonio to Houston, that 13 corps competed in the same time frame that the Houston show ran?

DCI Houston used to be a 2 night extravaganza that included ALL the WC corps. Like I said in my other post, if DCI Houston is a ToC event next year, I most likely won't be going. ESPECIALLY if the price goes up!! Again, the extras just aren't worth it!

true. yes it's the top 8 and encores, but it's 15 less corps total.

closest one to me is 3+ hours away and has DCi finals pricing. Count me out

It's called "Tournament of Champions Grand Finale"...and YES... VIP Seats are $125

...which compared to my other tickets which were also the best seats in the house is a lot to pay (I usually buy two tickets and invite a friend to come along)...the price is in line with a front row seat at Radio City Music Hall or Broadway, but for a drum corps show? ...I'll get more value just going to Allentown for two days...

$50 for 2 days, all corps in Allentown.

And there are good seats at $49 and others at $29. Sorry for singling you out, but this is another case where a segment of DCP fans just don't want to admit that DCI is doing something right. Let's get this over with and start the griping about synths, electronics and Bb too. When were done with those we'll work on the color pre.

HH

and also $75 dollar seats.

now tell me, where will you sit for $25?

Not where the sound is good