Cadets Assault with Thunderous Goo

...there's no reason why 90% of the live audience at finals should not be able to have decent sound

You're making this up. It's probably closer to the truth that 90% of the audience at live shows doesn't have a clue that there is a problem.

I sat on the 50 about 20 or more rows up in Indy for three nights last August, I talked to lots of people in my section each night (many of whom were different on different nights), and not one complained about amp balance. They complained about plenty else (BD's music, price of concession, Lucas echo) but not the amp balance. I attended perhaps nine shows in total last summer, sitting in different parts of the stadium each time, and likewise didn't hear folks complaining about amp balance in the stands. Ditto for shows this year.

I don't doubt that Jeff and others have heard plenty of complaints about the amp balance. But to say that 90% of the live audience is upset with the situation is just another in a long list of DCP exaggerations that deflate the present and inflate the past.

HH

No - read closer. A couple of pro-ampers are CONFIRMING what 90% think.

People in the direct line of fire of the speakers on the lower level, as well as anyone sitting in an area where the bass frequencies build up would probably not be getting an ideal listening experience. That said, an earlier poster said a lot of people don't know the difference...true statement. The people on this board have refined ears and know what they want to hear. However, a lot of folks in the audience don't. To say 90% are getting the shaft is a gross exaggeration to be sure.

I have found that the balance in the upper levels has been pretty good with a lot of groups over the season minus the obvious "whoa, what the heck was that sound".

Edited by Audiophile

No - read closer. A couple of pro-ampers are CONFIRMING what 90% think.

No, I think you need to read closer.

Not even 90% of DCP posters agree with what you're saying, and DCP posters definitely don't make up 90% of the viewing audience.

I ALWAYS sit right in front of the pit at every show I go to, and have never once heard someone complaining about amp balance. As usual on here, it's a small minority of posters projecting their opinion on the rest of the viewing public.

Edited by MarimbaManiac

There are some customers not worth having. They cost your organization more than they return.

My brother's mother in law was told by a major retailer not to shop there any more. That she is a wealthy woman who spent oodles there wasn't enough. This store tracked her returns and informed her that her business is no longer welcome. They made the calculation that her purchases cost the firm money. This store isn't unique. The Wall Street Journal has written about this practice by others.

My preference would be for all legacy fans to continue to be fans. I also believe that many legacy fans cost DCI more than they return. Their negativity hurts the reputation of an activity already struggling for a positive reputation. I doubt they buy enough tickets or t-shirts to offset the discount they inspire.

No, I wouldn't chase them away. But yes, I wish some would just go away. Friend like that DCI doesn't need.

HH

Tah! ph34r.gif

...and in my opinion, they're different issues. Amplification is about optimizing existing instrumentation, and Electronics is about codifying the use of additional instruments.

I support both, but I can respect those who draw the line at using only amplification and not electronics.

In my opinion, if you choose to use mallet instruments, they MUST be amplified, or not use them at all. I would rather see drum corps use NO mallet instruments, rather than use them without amplification.

I'm okay with amplified pit, as long as it balance and playing technique is judged.

I agree, the electronics is a separate issue. I don't like them. I've only gone to one live show this year because of them. ...and the stuff on FN is making me not want to watch those either, it's just too much thunderous goo.

I ALWAYS sit right in front of the pit at every show I go to, and have never once heard someone complaining about amp balance. As usual on here, it's a small minority of posters projecting their opinion on the rest of the viewing public.

You are having a different experience than me. In the two shows I went to this year, nobody around me liked the electronics. Obviously the people in the stands are tolerating it (or they wouldn't be there), but that doesn't mean they like it. I think that many of them are trying to ignore it. Frankly, I have only met one individual (in person) that likes it.

My sister surprised me by attending a drumcorps show for the first time in her life. She just showed up to the stadium. I didn't find out until after the show was over. I hadn't talked to her about corps in at least a decade. The first words out of her mouth when we spoke about the show the next day (unprompted by me), was that she and her husband both hated the electronics and the speakers. (They had some other comments too, but those aren't relevant to this thread)

• Like 1

You are having a different experience than me. In the two shows I went to this year, nobody around me liked the electronics. Obviously the people in the stands are tolerating it (or they wouldn't be there), but that doesn't mean they like it. I think that many of them are trying to ignore it. Frankly, I have only met one individual (in person) that likes it.

Maybe it depends on the crowd you happen to be sitting with. I'm usually around a lot of corps alums and so I hear some grumbling when the synths are especially prevalent. I have even bonded with more than one older alum wearing corps jackets over our mutual incomprehension of the appeal of all the electronics to the show designers.

I'm sure marimba players love to hear the pit overbalanced, but overbalanced pit does not ruin shows for me, and although we often get off on general amp discussion, that's not the big problem these days. Synth does ruin some shows for me. 90% of the audience may not know or care about balance, but they all can hear the synth, and I think scottgordon has it exactly right: many of them just tolerate it hoping to get some doses of what they're actually there for: brass, percussion, and amazing visuals. I'm sure some love the synth, and some are oblivious to it, but people don't come to hear a great synth patch or a sound sample from a movie or song. They come to hear music played live and loud.