An electronics explanation for all the haters

You can explain it anyway you want. The fact is, it wasnt nesceassary when all the greatest, epic shows of all time were presented and since its inception, no "greatest shows of all time" have been created or enhanced by electronics...they have created more headaches than highlights, have not altered playing technique, kept costs down, brought new members in, or created more fans.

Out on the football field the acoustic version of drum corps is what always has worked best. Evolution and change are fine, but not for the sake of satisfying ones ego at the expense of the product, the members experience, or the fans enjoymnet.

Geoffrey

I can't disagree anymore with your post. First off, I think both Blue Devils 2010 and Bluecoats 2010 would not be anything close to the same without their seamless electronic integration. Second, speak for yourself, the fact that DCI has decided to progress along the same lines as WGI in the natural progression of the art makes me appreciate it much more than I previously did (and therefore become a bigger fan). It's also led me and will continue leading me to audition camps, most likely at groups that are more susceptible to good electronic integration. Why? Because I enjoy their products more than others. Granted, I understand the balancing problems, but I think that the new palette of colors that groups are exploring is worth the risk.

To the topic creator: Thank you for posting this. Good luck with the upcoming battle that you will fight.

• Like 8

No surprises in the post...

If you want to hear the shows the way they were intended, sit with the judges. Yeah that's always been the way but appears the "right" seating area is smaller than before. And/or the "non-right" seats get a crappier sounding show than before.

But if you don't lik eit, don't complain as you chose to sit in a crappy seat.

"Keeping up with the Jones" - yep, bad economic times, DC getting more and more expensive to keep alive.... so lets make it harder but adding things....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 3

Thanks for posting. Wish you had participated in a few discussions before just nuking the topic from orbit, but I appreciate your thoughts. Hopefully others will feel the same. I disagree with most of your points, though.

If you are not right behind the judges at every venue in their exact spot, please don't complain about the mix. EVERY corps is mixing for the judges and if you are in the lower level just know that you will be getting an absurd amount of speaker sound. This is even more true in venues where the lower level creates a BASS TRAP that does not allow the desired electronic low frequencies to cut to the box.

Not sure how this is a defense of goo. We know that corps mix for the box, that lower-seating gets creamed by the amps and that indoor venues are bass traps. If all of that means that lots of the audience is getting an greatly inferior experience, then it's bad for the activity.

For all those that would argue that Drum Corps is what it is and shoudl be appreciated for it's raw sound as God intended...didn't Cesario make a mass decree to entertain the audience?? We are also obliged to entertain them sonically, and everyone and their Grandmas these days have surround sound and subwoofers when they listen to music or watch movies. This is now DCI's way of keepin up with the Jones's (more on that idea later)

Personally, I don't think drum corps is going to grow its audience by trying to sound like a movie theater. It's much cheaper and easier to go to a movie theater if that's the experience you want.

How about this example..."Man, the new bells on the Mellophones really project their sound to the box more than normal. Too bad they always overbalance the ensemble" ..."Let's burn them alive and get rid of Mellophones all together instead of teaching them how to control their sound"...seems logical??? Then let's not burn the evil electronics just yet, yes?

You are way overdoing the straw-man hyperbole here. If a new mello made a corps sound as bad as electronics sometimes do, then I would be complaining and hoping that the corps would change mellos. If the judges loved the new mellos, then they probably wouldn't. But to the extent that the judge's experience and the audience's experience diverge so much, it's bad for the activity.

For those of you that complain and/or are concerned with a particular groups balance...TRUST ME they are WAYYY more worried (and knowledgeable) about their balance, and the judge's assessment of their balance than you could possibly imagine. Infinite tweaks and adjustments are made on a daily basis and if you continue to think said group who is in the top has a bad balance...stand right behind the music judges and take a listen....chances are it's pretty dang balanced this time of the season.

Not sure how this relates to the typical experience in the audience. I fully believe corps try their best to make it sound right for the judges. Unfortunately with electronics that's coming more and more at the expense of the audience.

All the horns mic'd through the PA...are you serious!?!? First of all, understand that there is a whole front ensemble that takes the majority of the highs and mid-high frequencies available from the speakers. Speakers aren't magical devices where you can keep pouring sounds into them and they just immediately respond by becoming infinitely louder. Only so much can pass through those speakers. And most of the time, the mallets and synths are at the end of the line, with very little room for anything else.

They already mike brass and it often sounds very bad, but that hasn't stopped them, so I don't know why you don't think they want to do more of it.

Micing solists with effects or not....Corps create MORE SOUND NOW. Speakers and MUCH louder battery instruments contribute to a much louder corps ensemble sound. I for one would like to hear a soloisy play with at least a semblance of technique and sound quality versus laser beaming a high note to the press box and hanging over the release just to probe how high he was actually playing.

So how does this fit in with your other comment? Why shouldn't the whole corps play with "better technique" and since when is playing loud bad technique?

I prefer the arrangement and the performers to make room for the soloist. If the ensemble is too loud for the soloist, then amping the soloist is the wrong change to make.

The actvity is evolving...to a STRONGER beast. Please help the progress, don't slam it.

First of all, progress means better sound, better audience experience. So far electronics haven't provided this.

Critiquing the aural experience of a show is all about encouraging progress. If a show sounds bad, that's bad for the activity. The judges may love the sound, but if the audience doesn't, that's bad for the activity.

Please don't dismiss honest criticism as a "slam".

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 8

I can't disagree anymore with your post. First off, I think both Blue Devils 2010 and Bluecoats 2010 would not be anything close to the same without their seamless electronic integration. Second, speak for yourself, the fact that DCI has decided to progress along the same lines as WGI in the natural progression of the art makes me appreciate it much more than I previously did (and therefore become a bigger fan). It's also led me and will continue leading me to audition camps, most likely at groups that are more susceptible to good electronic integration. Why? Because I enjoy their products more than others. Granted, I understand the balancing problems, but I think that the new palette of colors that groups are exploring is worth the risk.

To the topic creator: Thank you for posting this. Good luck with the upcoming battle that you will fight.

Blue Devils and Bluecoats 2010...so you are saying they benefited from the advent of electronics and wouldnt "work" without them ??

I rest my case. And I will speak as I choose, for the many I know and have known throughout the decades in the activity and you , will take it as you wish.....More people have left than joined the ranks of fans in the last seven years. You enjoy your audition camps. Have fun, hope to see you out on the field someday !

Geoffrey

• Like 9

Burning all the Mellophones alive!?!?! What an absolutely ridiculous statement.

I mean, you don't need to burn all... just a few. The others will catch on rather quickly.

"When a man is sufficiently motivated, determination takes care of itself."

Great post, Dan. I now have to wipe down my keyboard and screens.:spitting: