I'm tired of the Blue Devils hating...

Well of course there's going to be the ABBD thing. That's par for the course for ANY corps that sits on top for this amount of time. You guys ##### about it, but I'd embrace it. It means you're successful.

Where you and I differ is the "why" behind it. There are BD homers. Just as there are homers for every other corps out there. Hell.. I'm a homer. But I can admit it. And I can also admit when my corps has short-comings or needs for improvement.

In BD's case, any criticisms to short-comings on design or whatever are immediately chalked up to the ABBD/"hater" argument you make. In your eyes, the corps has no short comings, hasn't had any since 2007, and anyone that says differently is in the ABBD crowd because it's just not humanly possibly not to like or respect the products they've fielded since 2007.

I'm sorry, but that's not reality. I have criticisms of their show. Others do too. Just like many people slammed Cadets (often rightly so) in their narration phase. Who's right and who's wrong is in the eye of the argument maker. I say what BD does is easy. You say what they do is hard. And we go round and round.

Bottom line. BD won tonight. Congrats to them. Two weeks left to go in the season.

First off, I have NEVER called any poster a hater...ever...I invite you to search that out! Others have, but not me. You also know that I NEVER criticize any other corps! I may give a "weather report" about their prevailing trends but do not rip their designs or MM's. It's not my place. I will admit that my association with BD has been couched in winning seasons so it may certainly appear that I'm fielding all these grounders from critics. I just can't let them go. My weakness. And particularly when I know how hard these kids work and their misperceived cockiness pisses my off.

• Like 1

And particularly when I know how hard these kids work and their misperceived cockiness pisses my off.

I think we all feel the same man about our own corps. Every time something negative is said about "our" corps, it raises the blood pressure. I admit it, it does to me too. And I applaud you for being so passionate about it man, that take determination to stand by a corps, even through all of the criticism and negativity.

But there are some fans out there that can give the corps a bad name, every corps has them. The fans and alums that sit around and say, "yeah, we have blah,blah championships and caption wins, so we're better". That's what gets tiring, at least to me. Sorry, it just bugs me. I think since we all expect grace and civility from the members, shouldn't we all expect the same from our alums and fans?

I think we all feel the same man about our own corps. Every time something negative is said about "our" corps, it raises the blood pressure. I admit it, it does to me too. And I applaud you for being so passionate about it man, that take determination to stand by a corps, even through all of the criticism and negativity.

But there are some fans out there that can give the corps a bad name, every corps has them. The fans and alums that sit around and say, "yeah, we have blah,blah championships and caption wins, so we're better". That's what gets tiring, at least to me. Sorry, it just bugs me. I think since we all expect grace and civility from the members, shouldn't we all expect the same from our alums and fans?

Yes, you should.

I'm not about to trash talk a corps on the internet, but my reason for disliking them goes way past what they do on the field...

Yes, you should.

I try to. We can all expect the same grace and civility from each other, even though it doesn't always come out on here. I just think we all need to respect each other's opinions, (no matter how wrong they may be :tongue: ), and that's really it.

I like your recurring thing from last year, "If you can't say it to the members on the field, don't say it on here". I think about that every time I post. Thanks man. :thumbup:

Well why wouldn't you? BD's on the verge of a three-peat with three of the least (with maybe the exception of this year) entertaining shows in DCI history.

No one is begrudging the members or their talent. They consistently perform the absolute hell out of what they're given. It's the design and its lack of impact on the audience.

WOW! The least entertaining shows in history. 2 of them won. I would not really call this hate. Rather, whining. :thumbdown:

Kind of tired of hearing how great the kids are, and how their show is not challenging, entertaining, musical... How people could have marched it in the third grade.

come on people, Stop the whining. It is more than a little annoying.

For those of you keeping it above the whining and complaining, thanks.

I think the worst part about people booing is the fact that most of those people are people who've marched somewhere before. They know how hard all the corps wok throughout the summer/season. No matter their taste in music, their opinion about difficulty or their 2 cents on design, they should appreciate what they have in front of them. This is not a sport where all members get paid to represent an organization. People like LeBron James get booed for failing to win a championship. We all know what kind of summer they have. Why take it to ugly level of competition? Complain all you want in these forums because it's really your place to vent... and frankly the judges don't really care about these rants people carry on here. They have the power to place each corps based on their professional opinion. It's our job to push the kids to their best with our applause.

Meh...they could redo the 86 show note for note with lots of modern drill and they'd still get slammed for winning...

Sam, might have to disagree slightly. My problem with them for the last few years is a lack of an actual visual/drill, yet somehow attaining high visual marks. Now, if barely moving during your show is where the activity is going, which I hope it's not, that's one thing. But honestly, how hard is it to play well without the visual demands that some other corps have?

• Like 3

I've always felt that BD moves beautifully and has incredible demand in their show -- not just in how much frenetic drill with commonly-used rotating segmented lines, lines moving at fast speeds in opposite directions for that oooh/ahhh appeal, etc. -- but how they spread the field, perfect staging, a heavy amount of individual exposure both musically and visually, AMAZING horn/percussion sections and a color guard that maximizes visual and GE impact. When I see them live, they've always had a distinct "wow" factor to me that combines virtuosity, making everything look easy and great music.

The interesting thing to me is how consistently (2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 .. now increasingly in 2011 as BD ups their game) the DCI judging community awards them with very high content, repertoire and vocabulary scores in GE and visual captions. These are the sub captions that represent judgment, by a consistent cross section of the judging community, as measuring WHAT BD is doing.

Tonight:

Visual Repertoire: 1st and 2nd

Music Repertoire: 3rd and 2nd

Visual Performance Vocab: 1st

Visual Ensemble Comp: 1st

Visual CG Comp: 1st

To believe many posters on DCP, these captions should be far, far lower than their execution scores. Say 6th? 8th? 13th??? It is so BASIC and EASY! (eyeroll) Also -- for all of the complaining about how BD doesn't move and stands still for 50% of their show ... there are also several other critical areas that are often ignored:

- Color Guard (anyone argue that this group is outstanding?)

- Brass (consistently 3rd, but with that talent and staff ... this can certainly go up, as it is heavily tied to performance technically on the field)

- Percussion -- If you know percussion, you know BD was SMOKING hot tonight

- Music Ensemble -- I didn't hear any corps tonight match the balancing, intricacy and dynamic range of BD

Edited by bgg80
  • Like 5