How do we save Drum Corps

There you go pushing the national touring model on us again. Now all the dinos are going to start moaning about how that's where DCI started ruining everything!

HH

your lame attempt at sarcastic humor just shows you really have no argument.

thanks for playing

• Like 1

trust me, IMO the Cabs ALumni are the cadillac of the alumni game. They aren't starting on the line anymore. the drils getting a little more modern. the music is coming from more recent years. Same with Boston the music, tho they really don't do drill like Cabs do

That is for sure. The Cabs alumni are an amazing corps; no other alumni corps (not inc one-time special reunions) are equal to the total show they put on the field. Here in the east I'd think that Bayonne comes the closest. I'm not sure that the Cabs alumni could be used an an example of the 'average' alumni corps in discussions like these, as they are just so far beyond what most of the alumni corps do. That is not a dig at the rest...each does what it does based on the level the members want to commit to, and that is great. I get a huge thrill seeing the Blessed Sac corps march down the street playing their wonderful "America, the Beautiful" chart, but then again, I saw the field corps play that in the 60's, so seeing them today gives me a connection to what I saw as a kid growing up. its as much remembering them from 'then' as hearing them now that gives me that thrill.

• Like 1

My fav as I'm familiar with Lakeside and the history of declining churches in Harrisburg. Few years before another Luthern church near Lakeside closed for the same reason and their members merged with my old church (another wild ride while on council). Last I heard that building became "Jubilee Convenant" and is in the middle of a predominantly Orthodox (think that's the correct term) Jewish neighborhood. LOL, since the neighborhood was largely Protestant German when that church opened around 1910.

Show you how messy things are in my hometown, I just noticed the "Jubilee Covenant" building is on the auction block tomorrow. $35K down day of auction and there is a reserve... Weird timing as tomorrow will be three weeks since I posted this. And to think Harrisburg has had corps that won National VFW (2 different corps), American Legion and DCA, plus the decades lasting Zembo Shrine corps.

[url=]http://www.auctionzip.com/Listings/1442032.html[/url]

Edited by JimF-LowBari

That is for sure. The Cabs alumni are an amazing corps; no other alumni corps (not inc one-time special reunions) are equal to the total show they put on the field.

hmn, I don't know, MikeD...The 27th Lancers ( one last time ) Reunion Corps, in 1994, with their " total show performance " at the 94 DCI Championships certainly was electrifying and brought the house down. As we justifiably pay homage to the current Alumni Corps lets not forget the past. That said, the Hawthornce Caballeros Alumni Corps has been wonderful for so many years now. I really enjoy their performances. They're fantastic. I agree with you that they really are amazing.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

hmn, I don't know, MikeD...The 27th Lancers ( one last time ) Reunion Corps, in 1994, with their " total show performance " at the 94 DCI Championships certainly was electrifying and brought the house down. As we justifiably pay homage to the current Alumni Corps lets not forget the past. That said, the Hawthornce Caballeros Alumni Corps has been wonderful for so many years now. I really enjoy their performances. They're fantastic. I agree with you that they really are amazing.

thats just...27 was aone and done. Cabs do it year in and year out, often all year round

I think you may have missed this part of what I wrote...I totally agree on the 94 27th Lancer reunion corps.

That is for sure. The Cabs alumni are an amazing corps; no other alumni corps (not inc one-time special reunions) are equal to the total show they put on the field.

Hearing some of the more recent discussions that have taken place by the DCI board, and proposals that have been brought up, illustrate what I consider to be backward thinking. They were discussing a special tour which only the top corps would be able to take part in. Personally, I think less time should be spent on taking care of the top corps and more time on helping to bring up the lesser ones. I've always found the NFL as a good model in one of the ways they keep things competitive. Teams that do poorly in the previous season get to pick their players high in the draft in the ensuing off season. Teams that do well pick lower. I'd like to see DCI start to think about some kind of similar program where those corps that struggle are helped to grow. In the end, the fans would see a more competative field, and possibly more variety at the top. Don't see how this could hurt the activity as a whole. I can understand if they have difficulty in finding a feasable way to do this. But a refusal to consider some sort of system like this at all would tend to illustrate some sense of greed on the part of the top corps trying to keep it all for themselves. That is the feeling I get when they talk about elite tours only featuring them.

• Like 2

The problem is that there is an opinion that believes the small, "lesser" corps are not worth the effort because they haven't demonstrated the kind of fiscal, business sense to utilize the help in a way that makes them grow and prosper. If they had, they wouldn't be the "lesser" corps.

That's as credible a point as is the one from those who believe the "minor" corps should be directly supported by the "majors".

The difficulty comes in when trying to craft a plan forward that accomodates both opinions. The member corps have not done that.

Worse, the "majors" seem more than willing to abandon the "minors", while the "minors" appear weak (and maybe are) in their lack of response.

The only saving grace was the founders of DCI, and other smart minds along the way, who crafted a set of By-Laws that gave the "lesser" corps a solid vote at the table.

If it were not for that I suspect that, by now, we'd have two tours, the TOC, sponsored by DCI, and everyone else.

What now?

We hold our breath.

• Like 1

Without the so called " lesser Corps", they'd most likely be no " TOC Corps ". Thats because if we eliminated all the marchers in the Cadevaliers Corps ( Cadets, Blue Devils, Cavaliers ) that cut their teeth on Drum Corps by marching in the so called " lesser Corps ", we'd have sub par Cadevaliers filled with just rookies from High School and College Bands. What is the percentage of marchers in the Cadevaliers that will be marching their first year in DCI in one of the Cadevaliers Corps ? I suspect its not the large majority of marchers. So if there were no " lesser Corps ", there is no way in the world these Cadevaliers would have been at the high quality levels they currently have been at for decades. Furthermore, if the architects of the G-8 thought they could make a go out of it financially without DCI... and its " lesser Corps ",... they would have bolted and gone out on their own. But they didn't. And so that speaks volumes it seems to me that when it comes to "the lesser Corps ", the Cadevaliers need them just as much... if not more so.... than the " lesser Corps " need the Cadevaliers.

Edited by BRASSO