Demand means nothing

Or from my anonymous spot here on DCP... Don't snipe unless you identify yourself. It is truly pizz poor form.

• Like 1

:worthy: someday if i watch enough drum corps, will I too be able to judge all captions including the performance captions you have to be on the field to judge? Gosh I hope so because it seems I am not getting enough out of drum corps by letting the judges do their jobs and by me doing mine as a fan, which is to cheer, not jeer and it is to show the kids that they come from great stock rather than showing them what a bitter baby I can be from my anonymous spot within the stands. :worthy:

worthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gifworthy.gif

I saw MANY people in Atlanta who had that scowl on their face and never seemed to enjoy a second of the show because they seemed so offended by everything they saw. What are they getting out of going? Most people are just trying to have a good time, so just stay home if you're gonna be "that guy".

• Like 1

It is pretty clear for me that the physical demand is not there for BD. Using this years show as an example. I actually like the show. It seems the argument boils down to one thing...execution. In my opinion, the execution grade is different for every corp no matter the physical demand. As a BD fan I am prone to be critical from a judging perspective.

I mentioned this during the Atlanta regional...Having watched BD's show many times, I removed the Props from the equation and compared the drill to other corps. IMO, BD's demand is no greater than Phantoms, who by the way were getting knocked for the ease of their drill. In terms of execution they are the top corp.

So again we have to ask ourselves is it better to have a physically easy Drill *(As compared to other corps) and execute flawlessly or have a difficult and physically demanding drill and not be flawless? The judging community seems to lean more toward execution but it seems BD gets a bigger break than others. Not only does BD execute consistantly year to year, but their shows are designed with what I call (FLOW). The transitions from one song to the next and one set to the next not only gets perfect execution but it flows better than all the other corps. This might explain why BD's shows all seem similar to each other.

At the end of the day they are better at executing all the captions than anyone else. This year might not be their year for another championship but they again are in the hunt and cannot be dismissed.

Since I am so opinionated I have to say if you can't beat them, join them. Stop complaining and emulate what they are doing or be content in watching them dominate year in and year out. :worthy:

I don't think "if you can't beat them, join them or shut up" adequately describes the options. It's OK to be frustrated with what one perceives as a flawed judging system. That said, if anyone's DCI experience is wholly wrapped up in a particular corps' score, then I feel sorry for them. There is so much more to get out of the activity, either on the field or in the stands.

I just watched them 7 hours ago - if that is a high school band drill, then my name is George Zingali.

Little to No demand? Truth? Not physically challenged...at all? Really?

Maybe they have LESS physical demand that the other top groups. Maybe they dont move quite as much. Whether you view it as such or not, when you speak in such absolutes and sweeping generalizations, you pretty much kill any chance of intelligent debate.

Its like saying "Groups A is the best ever, and Group B is the scum of the universe and I hate them but they do this one thing ok i guess. Discuss."

Hi George. Welcome back.

:tongue:

I saw MANY people in Atlanta who had that scowl on their face and never seemed to enjoy a second of the show because they seemed so offended by everything they saw. What are they getting out of going? Most people are just trying to have a good time, so just stay home if you're gonna be "that guy".

I was that guy for a lot of the Atlanta show. But when corps did things that were truly effective, I was on my feet and shouting. Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot more of the former than the latter, these days. I really want to be on my feet for the whole competition, but synth wind solos, MIDI patches, and sound effects just don't move me the same way a brass choir does.

The key to demand and getting credit for it is showing you can do a skill well. You do not get bonus points for repeating same skill for 75% of the show.

Well, count me among the dissenters to that philosophy. I think a corps that demonstrates excellence repeatedly ought to get more credit than a corps that demonstrates it just once or twice.

But BD literally has minutes of show with LITTLE to NO demand for the vast majority of their corps. It's as if nobody wants to acknowledge that the Emperor has no clothes. Well, guess what, the Emperor is buck naked. Why are some folks so unwilling to accept this as truth? I think it would be more embarrassing to argue otherwise than to just say "yeah, you're right'. They have a HS band drill. It's ridiculously easy. It should not be rewarded . . . period. I don't care how beautiful their hornline plays, they are not being physically challenged.. Why pretend they are?

Well based on the recaps from last nights show in West chester, BD is winning despite having less demand as you put it. In all 4 subcaptions which are in essence judging the what BD placed 3rd in all of them except a 2nd in GE Visual (Rep). so they are losing the What but winning the how by enough to overcome the deficit. that's the game, and they play it well.

Visual Performance (Vocab)

Cadets - 9.7

Cavaliers - 9.6

BD - 9.5

Visual Ensemble (Comp)

Cadets - 9.6

Cavaliers - 9.5

BD - 9.4

GE Visual (Rep)

Cadets - 9.7

BD - 9.6

Cavaliers - 9.5

GE Music (Rep)

Cavaliers - 9.7

Cadets - 9.6

BD - 9.5

It is pretty clear for me that the physical demand is not there for BD. Using this years show as an example. I actually like the show. It seems the argument boils down to one thing...execution. In my opinion, the execution grade is different for every corp no matter the physical demand. As a BD fan I am prone to be critical from a judging perspective.

I mentioned this during the Atlanta regional...Having watched BD's show many times, I removed the Props from the equation and compared the drill to other corps. IMO, BD's demand is no greater than Phantoms, who by the way were getting knocked for the ease of their drill. In terms of execution they are the top corp.

So again we have to ask ourselves is it better to have a physically easy Drill *(As compared to other corps) and execute flawlessly or have a difficult and physically demanding drill and not be flawless? The judging community seems to lean more toward execution but it seems BD gets a bigger break than others. Not only does BD execute consistantly year to year, but their shows are designed with what I call (FLOW). The transitions from one song to the next and one set to the next not only gets perfect execution but it flows better than all the other corps. This might explain why BD's shows all seem similar to each other.

At the end of the day they are better at executing all the captions than anyone else. This year might not be their year for another championship but they again are in the hunt and cannot be dismissed.

Since I am so opinionated I have to say if you can't beat them, join them. Stop complaining and emulate what they are doing or be content in watching them dominate year in and year out. :worthy:

Why is it that I'm getting an '88 vibe from them this year?

In '88 BD was tearing it up, undefeated all season until the end, when they got 3rd. Actually they could have easily ended up in 4th. They were .2 away...

Their hornline was smokin', their drumline and guard were smokin'. The drill was spotless, the music was crowd pleasing. Everything seemed to be going their way, yet they ended up in third. What happened?

The drill was too easy for them. In the end, they were passed up, and could have easily slipped down to 5th place as the Cavaliers were only 1.2 points from 3rd place.

I don't know that the SAME thing will happen this year, but it's sort of the feeling I have. That's the vibe to me. The history is why I don't believe that BD will win this year and will instead end up in 3rd or 4th place in the end. I really don't think there's enough show for the members when the other shows from the other corps get clean.

Edited by jjeffeory