Allentown Fan Network Videos?

My wife and I have decided with all the issues from this year, and obvious disrespect DCI has for the fans of the activity, it will probably have to be our last season subscribing to the fannetwork.org. I think we are going to sell our finals week tickets, and just reitre from the activity altogether. This is just so frustrating, Price increases, jokes amoung the judging community, technical issues that DCI refuses to acknowledge and address(we sent the idiots at DCI an email regarding our issues the last 2 lives feeds on Monday, and they have not even had the decency to respond)

We had really thought maybe some of the problems would be resolved after last year, and am really beginning to think it is a shame that they didn't fire Dan Acheson like it had been discussed at the beginning of the season last year. They definitely need to get some new staff in the DCI office, someone who knows how to address the issues of the people who are paying their salaries. And their tech support just needs to be terminated and replaced. Call me extremely dissattisfied with DCI and THEFANNETWORK.ORg this season.

This has been my first and only problem EVER with the Fan Network for two seasons. So I believe everybody should keep their jobs and you need a new computer and/or internet provider.

• Like 5

Wow, I see one of my words got number signed off. I am afraid I am not sure why the word the begins with p and rhymes wish hiss would get edited? Oh well. It has been a fun 40 years, and hopefully the quality of service for everyone else will improve over the next few years. Hopefully people will not be afraid to complain when service isn't what it should be. It's been a blast, but the frustrations are beginning to outweigh the fun anymore.

• Like 1

So tired of all the whining about Fan Network.

For $69 I get to on demand watch any finalist performance from almost 40 years of finals. I can hook up my television to my computer and watch 5 DCI events live and other shows from the current season on demand. Some glitches, yes. But I am definitely getting my money's worth. We could only dream of something like this a decade ago.

• Like 9

This has been my first and only problem EVER with the Fan Network for two seasons. So I believe everybody should keep their jobs and you need a new computer and/or internet provider.

This is my first year subscribing and I could run an operation better than this from a basement with a shoestring budget. The entire operation revolves around quality of video and audio -- that is it! Think about how YouTube would have done if their video and audio were out of sync, or if their videos were always poor quality, or if their audio was wrong because the recordings were not setup correctly.

It is obvious that the Fan Network revenues are being sucked up by DCI (the umbrella organization) and the budget to run the Fan Network is not enough. I bet if the Fan Network was a separate entity, it would be run VERY profitably, and with extreme quality (for all bandwidths). There are some pretty bright guys/gals that have posted here, who work for the FN, so I highly doubt that the issue is with the quality of employees, but rather management.

That is why I mentioned the fact that DCI has signed contracts which lock them into a long-term deal to play inside domes. That is a clear sign of mismanagement, and fits perfectly with how we have seen the Fan Network being managed.

• Like 2

For $69 I get to on demand watch any finalist performance from almost 40 years of finals. I can hook up my television to my computer and watch 5 DCI events live and other shows from the current season on demand. Some glitches, yes. But I am definitely getting my money's worth. We could only dream of something like this a decade ago.

Non-Profit does not equal low expectations :)

There are some basic management issues that can fix all of this. The technology is already there (see: IBM / ESPN's golf coverage or Olympic Games online streaming), there are plenty of well qualified employees waiting to be hired, and there is no reason to not strive for high quality, which undoubtedly drives membership and momentum for our "sport".

Settling for "its cheap, what do you expect?" is a death-spiral for this activity. It is for any activity.

• Like 1

Non-Profit does not equal low expectations :)

There are some basic management issues that can fix all of this. The technology is already there (see: IBM / ESPN's golf coverage or Olympic Games online streaming), there are plenty of well qualified employees waiting to be hired, and there is no reason to not strive for high quality, which undoubtedly drives membership and momentum for our "sport".

Settling for "its cheap, what do you expect?" is a death-spiral for this activity. It is for any activity.

I would infer from your posts in this thread you have a bit of a problem with DCI and its management and you are convinced that DCI strives to be mediocre. Got it.

• Like 1

It doesnt matter what the activity in question is, from cooking for dummies, to hunting for pandas to drum corps....you pay for a service, you should expect that service, Bargain, a steal, cheap, worth it, or not..there is no excuse to make a service offered to the public, the consumer, and that consumer spends his money and expects a certain level of service..it should be met, all the time, period. No making allowances because "we marched before" "Support the kids" "things happen" ...Offer a service, be consistent.

Geoffrey

• Like 1

They must have just lowered it to $69, because it was $79. About a 30% hike from last year's $59. All while delivering less content, and from all the posts this season, more problems, than in years before (all while online video delivery technology gets better and better every year.. making the fan network look more and more antiquated).

It doesnt matter if 'we could only dream of something like this a decade ago'. A decade ago my internet was 1mbps, now i have 12 with options for 20, 50 or 100 if i want it. A decade ago there was no youtube, facebook, twtter, netflix streaming, etc. It is 2011 where people can (as we see on youtube already) take videos and get them up, in hd, on youtube within hours of shows\rehearsals, and the quality is only really limited by the quality of the camera and person operating it (and since its usually in a crowd, its not stabilized as well as an official camera could be), and the quality is often as good if not better than the videos we have to pay $80 for dci to deliver.