Aug. 6 DCA Scores/Comments Thread

I hear what your saying. I really love to hear a good lead line. What really bugs me is when the leads have to tone it down because the rest of the corps can't play up to their level. They wind up having to play down not to over power them or stand out of the ensemble.

Suck it up beaches and play!

The Blue Devils' philpoophy is just that, everyone plays UP to the strong people.

In non-perfect situations, one can only do so much so quickly to develop people and get them into the program.

People think all the work on breath control and support is a load of crap, but without it, you're goners.

A good organization will have things such that the leads "lead" and help encourage and pull everyone else onto their boat. Frank Doritte got on us at Westshore to do exactly that and we responded, and it made a huge difference.

No, I don't think that's what is being said at all.

For that matter there are some vets who have to work a lot harder to move well and master visual skills adequately. Clumsy people, like ME. :satisfied:

This is true. Trust me, I fall into that clumsy category as well. What is was responding to was the notion that scoring an entire hornline based on an individual standard of excellence is better than how they work together and perform together.

:sarcasm:

If any corps can win horns on any given night based on the success of their weakest individual, than why not cut all your weak individuals and go out with only the best if you want to win?

I will end this by saying- :starwars: This is the best emoticon I have seen yet.

Edited by irishbugle

:ph34r:

You are correct sir! :worthy:

Robb and fellow percussionist Matt Kettlehut are the 2 biggest reasons MBI and their HORNLINE have made the strides they have in the last 10+ years.. :thumbup:

Drummers can do it too! :bleah:

Pat

Robb's first gig was as a young man at Westshore as percussion head in '82. Even though I was in the horn line, we respected and liked him. He bright a lot of energy to the table and a positive attitude that was infectious. Ream and I will say it until we get blue in the face. Good musicianship is good musicianship, professionalism is professionalism- it's not exclusive to any section in a corps, and if it IS- they're looking at a serious disappointment come finals weekend.

Hello Mr. Big Adam

Thank you for writing this post. It seems Fusion is being attacked for no reason except for vanity. I do however disagree with you on one point.. Chairman Dances was a piece music intended for dance. I hope this link works......

Olive

I wouldn't normally comment here but I do think the original poster is being harsh. It sounds like you have more of a personal axe to grind than actual criticism. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but how authentic do you want some one's show to be? Following in the footsteps of your arguement then you could make these bullet points about any corps this year. Has anybody ever actually danced to Chairman Dances? Is Spanish Fantasy an authentic Spanish piece? Did any of Michael Jackson's songs have a drum solo?....

As people have already said on this thread DCA shouldn't be between those that have and those who don't have. So maybe Fusion wasn't able to spend a little more money on their guard uniforms this year that doesn't warrant your negativity. And as far as their source material they use as much themed based pieces as the next corps. Who said African styled music had to be 100% authentic anyways? Was West Side Story at all "Puerto Rican"? Maybe the corps is trying to represent various aspects of African styled music, perhaps Northern African, remember places like Egypt? Tunisia? Morocco?

And futhermore as a band director that has played and conducted some of those pieces I can tell you that they are in no way shape or form "easy". There are challenges to any program and I feel like you aren't identifying them. And for a corps, that need I remind you, is still only in their infancy they have designed a smart and fun show that will ensure the survival of their corps for another year, sometimes that's the biggest challenge that a DCA corps can face over winning.

Everyone here has stated how much they have enjoyed Fusion's show, so therefore it accomplished everything they designed it to. And I'm sure that given they fact that they probably are feeling a little beat up from their score this past week, I don't think they need you, OP, to tell them that there is no hope for them this year because of their show.

Don't pick on the little guy you never know when they are going to grow some muscles and come back with looking for an apology. Don't you ever watch Maury Povich?

• Like 1

:sarcasm: If any corps can win horns on any given night based on the success of their weakest individual, than why not cut all your weak individuals and go out with only the best if you want to win?

There's a LOT of truth to that, sarcasm or not. When you have an onfield judge- they're looking to see what the general skill level is. What does the average Jane and Judy in taht hornline know? What competence do they demonstrate?

Usually, when people want the judge on-field, it's because they want that input. I'd think if the DCA membership wanted the guy in the box, they'd be there.

It's very true that a lot of individual issues will also be readable up top, but some times , you can find certain issues that might be more helpful to certain groups down field- like embrouchure, fingering techniques, details on articulation and approach, mechanical issues. Sometimes, even finding out who really KNOWS the book and who's making stuff up on the fly.

One would think that at the DCA level, a lot of that should and does get addressed and corrected, but... maybe it doesn't. The members asked for it to be that way for a reason. My guess is maybe they wanted that more detailed input, and given the youth out there in many instances, maybe they wanted a more educational kind of input on those subjects. I don't know the answer. Just my thoughts.

It seems Fusion is being attacked for no reason except for vanity. I do however disagree with you on one point.. Chairman Dances was a piece music intended for dance. I hope this link works......

No, I criticized Fusion because I was asked to, not because there's an ax to grind (I have never had any connection to the corps at all). And also because to me, this year's program is a huge disappointment. Seems to me a few folks need to grow a thicker skin. When you perform in a public entertainment medium, you're going to be criticized. I've criticized other corps as well, including my old corps in Reading. I've also been VERY complementary towards Fusion and many other corps. Sadly, some people seem to forget that.

As for Fusion's critique, you might be surprised just how many people agree with me, even folks associated with Fusion. I've been getting PM's all day to that effect.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

No doubt. And having seen the "best corps", there will probably be little doubt in anyone's mind after the first 30 seconds to one minute of their program...

I dunno, I thought that twice at lewisburg.

anybodys ball game yet

• Like 1

You're very new to DCA then, the name Mark Thurston comes to mind very quickly. Are you saying that "drum guys" can't judge music ensemble

(insert typical lead sop comment about drummers not being musicians here)

:tongue:

• Like 1

No, I criticized Fusion because I was asked to, not because there's an ax to grind (I have never had any connection to the corps at all). And also because to me, this year's program is a huge disappointment. Seems to me a few folks need to grow a thicker skin. When you perform in a public entertainment medium, you're going to be criticized. I've criticized other corps as well, including my old corps in Reading. I've also been VERY complementary towards Fusion and many other corps. Sadly, some people seem to forget that.

As for Fusion's critique, you might be surprised just how many people agree with me, even folks associated with Fusion. I've been getting PM's all day to that effect.

Well one simple fact is that nothing said here on DCP is going to determine the final outcome for Fusion or any other corps.

• Like 2