Aug. 6 DCA Scores/Comments Thread

I sure hope they move the judge off the field and up into the box for DCA championships .Your right the best corps is not going to win this year .

I sure hope they move the judge off the field and up into the box for DCA championships .Your right the best corps is not going to win this year .

May I ask who you think the best corps is? :blink:

And I can't imagine a judging change done solely for the last weekend. I would think it would have to be a season long thing, or wait til next year.

• Like 2

And I can't imagine a judging change done solely for the last weekend. I would think it would have to be a season long thing, or wait til next year.

Agreed. I'm hoping there can be enough of an outcry to get this changed for next year. I know a lot of staff members among various corps agree with this also.

• Like 1

If the goal is for horn lines to play louder, then I think the brass judge should be in the parking lot. :tongue:

• Like 3

The point most folks here are missing is this: If a corps has a number of horn players who are not quite cutting at the field level, these deficiencies will likely be picked up by any decent horn judge upstairs as well. If corps A has 7 out of their 30+ horns who are converted wooodwinds who are basically blowing their tonsils through the bell and corps B has 30+ horns with perhaps 1 or 2 "tick bombs", corps B is still taking horns...unless we stick the horn judge in a car in the parking lot.

If the goal is for horn lines to play louder, then I think the brass judge should be in the parking lot. :tongue:

No danger of them overpowering the judge on multi key.

Ducks and runs for cover. :tongue:

i think you'll be proven wrong come Rochester.

Agreed. I wouldn't go as far as to say the wrong corps will win it all. I don't think its a stretch to say the wrong corps MIGHT win horns, since that parallels what I am saying.

The point most folks here are missing is this: If a corps has a number of horn players who are not quite cutting at the field level, these deficiencies will likely be picked up by any decent horn judge upstairs as well. If corps A has 7 out of their 30+ horns who are converted wooodwinds who are basically blowing their tonsils through the bell and corps B has 30+ horns with perhaps 1 or 2 "tick bombs", corps B is still taking horns...unless we stick the horn judge in a car in the parking lot.

I would agree that a good judge will pick up those deficiencies regardless of the location. I would disagree that, in your scenario, corps B should still take horns. You would be basing a caption score based on the quantity of "tick bombs" as you called it and how much they affect the rest of the line. Truly- the score should be based off the entire line and how well the line is performing the book, how well the line is meeting their responsibilities technically, and how well the line is working together; not individuals.

The point I am trying to make, which I know others are trying to make as well, is that with the ONLY brass judge being on the field, its much harder to really get a true sample of the entire hornline. If Corps A has 48 horns and 10 of them are new to a brass instrument, therefor from a technical standpoint, they may be holding back a bit, or may may be struggling- and the judge spends 7 minutes standing in front of them (Which absolutely has happened, I have heard that tape with my own ears), how is that fair to the other 38 horns who are seasoned players, performing the book to a complete level. Consequently, that hornline scored pretty low that evening when they actually had a great show as a unit.

Now, if that judge had been in the box for that performance, sure s/he would have picked up those players, but they still would have been able to sample the other end of the spectrum and give them an honest number. Maybe they would have placed higher, maybe not...who knows, but it COULD have made a difference that may have turned this corps season around. (This example was not from 2011)

Point being- every caption, every 10th of a point, is important, and a lot can get missed when a whole caption like Horns is judged from only one vantage point.

Edited by irishbugle
  • Like 2

No doubt. And having seen the "best corps", there will probably be little doubt in anyone's mind after the first 30 seconds to one minute of their program...

• Like 1