Aug. 6 DCA Scores/Comments Thread

No doubt. And having seen the "best corps", there will probably be little doubt in anyone's mind after the first 30 seconds to one minute of their program...

Maybe in Open (and I stress the "maybe"), but how about in Class A? Is there still little doubt?

Edited by DCA1Fan

You all make it sound like there is not someone in the box who is judging this stuff. I'm a little new to DCA but isn't the Music Ensemble judge in the box. I'm also pretty sure that I haven't seen a drum guy judging ensemble. So there is someone of an instrumental nature looking at it from that view. Take a look at the Lewisburg recap and I think you'll see that it was judged the way you all believe it should have. Buc winning both Brass and Perc and MBI winning ensemble. We can't all have the judges in the places where it only benefits our strengths an hide our weeknesses. After all, that is the goal to identify the best corps in all aspects of that days performance.

I'll preface this by saying that I enjoyed MBI's show and in all of the shows I've had the chance to sample live (Empire excluded) they have been the only ones that I would consider to be in the same conversation with Reading. That being said, they don't spread their horn line out a whole lot in comparison to Reading.. There's a lot of blocked, stacked forms, and them winning ensemble in Lewisburg was totally justified, and in my opinion by design. That's not a knock. You play to your strengths and they clearly do.

Judging from the box and being able to truly evaluate will always be a moving target. It isn't based on whether or not the judge is good or not. Different stadiums, different heights. I haven't been to Rochester yet, but I'll bet it will be a higher perspective than most of the regular season shows. Plus if you don't believe moving a judge to a box won't lead to "Ode to a Block Formation" to hide the "ticks" than you're kidding yourself. Why risk it, if there is no one in your face holding you to an individual standard of excellence.

• Like 2

You all make it sound like there is not someone in the box who is judging this stuff. I'm a little new to DCA but isn't the Music Ensemble judge in the box. I'm also pretty sure that I haven't seen a drum guy judging ensemble. So there is someone of an instrumental nature looking at it from that view. Take a look at the Lewisburg recap and I think you'll see that it was judged the way you all believe it should have. Buc winning both Brass and Perc and MBI winning ensemble. We can't all have the judges in the places where it only benefits our strengths an hide our weeknesses. After all, that is the goal to identify the best corps in all aspects of that days performance.

I'll preface this by saying that I enjoyed MBI's show and in all of the shows I've had the chance to sample live (Empire excluded) they have been the only ones that I would consider to be in the same conversation with Reading. That being said, they don't spread their horn line out a whole lot in comparison to Reading.. There's a lot of blocked, stacked forms, and them winning ensemble in Lewisburg was totally justified, and in my opinion by design. That's not a knock. You play to your strengths and they clearly do.

Judging from the box and being able to truly evaluate will always be a moving target. It isn't based on whether or not the judge is good or not. Different stadiums, different heights. I haven't been to Rochester yet, but I'll bet it will be a higher perspective than most of the regular season shows. Plus if you don't believe moving a judge to a box won't lead to "Ode to a Block Formation" to hide the "ticks" than you're kidding yourself. Why risk it, if there is no one in your face holding you to an individual standard of excellence.

You're very new to DCA then, the name Mark Thurston comes to mind very quickly. Are you saying that "drum guys" can't judge music ensemble

• Like 1

“Tell us what you really feel”

“The thing about Fusion is that their members execute their program as well or better than any corps in DCA. The problem is that the design of the show is absolutely horrific, and I believe that is the reason their scores are as low as they are.”

It seems you have a very strong personal opinion of Fusion’s show this year. While your comments are strictly your own, and your entitled to your opinion, the fact remains that Fusion started in Wildwood like most corps with a show design and performance that has continued to evolve. The pit wears authentic African dashiki’s and guard wears african inspired head pieces coupled with animal inspired uniforms with numerous prints, Africa is not all about the voodoo. They are scoring visually in line with their competitors if you review the score recap sheets. I saw Fusion in Wildwood and in Kingston this past weekend and WOW what a difference and even in the pouring rain. The corps has added many more elements and layers to the Africore theme and I’m sure has more up their sleeve. Fusion is a viable competitor not only within the Class A arena, defending their championship, but will give some open class corps a run for their money.

• Like 4

“Tell us what you really feel”

“The thing about Fusion is that their members execute their program as well or better than any corps in DCA. The problem is that the design of the show is absolutely horrific, and I believe that is the reason their scores are as low as they are.”

It seems you have a very strong personal opinion of Fusion’s show this year. While your comments are strictly your own, and your entitled to your opinion, the fact remains that Fusion started in Wildwood like most corps with a show design and performance that has continued to evolve. The pit wears authentic African dashiki’s and guard wears african inspired head pieces coupled with animal inspired uniforms with numerous prints, Africa is not all about the voodoo. They are scoring visually in line with their competitors if you review the score recap sheets. I saw Fusion in Wildwood and in Kingston this past weekend and WOW what a difference and even in the pouring rain. The corps has added many more elements and layers to the Africore theme and I’m sure has more up their sleeve. Fusion is a viable competitor not only within the Class A arena, defending their championship, but will give some open class corps a run for their money.

I wouldn't normally comment here but I do think the original poster is being harsh. It sounds like you have more of a personal axe to grind than actual criticism. I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but how authentic do you want some one's show to be? Following in the footsteps of your arguement then you could make these bullet points about any corps this year. Has anybody ever actually danced to Chairman Dances? Is Spanish Fantasy an authentic Spanish piece? Did any of Michael Jackson's songs have a drum solo?....

As people have already said on this thread DCA shouldn't be between those that have and those who don't have. So maybe Fusion wasn't able to spend a little more money on their guard uniforms this year that doesn't warrant your negativity. And as far as their source material they use as much themed based pieces as the next corps. Who said African styled music had to be 100% authentic anyways? Was West Side Story at all "Puerto Rican"? Maybe the corps is trying to represent various aspects of African styled music, perhaps Northern African, remember places like Egypt? Tunisia? Morocco?

And futhermore as a band director that has played and conducted some of those pieces I can tell you that they are in no way shape or form "easy". There are challenges to any program and I feel like you aren't identifying them. And for a corps, that need I remind you, is still only in their infancy they have designed a smart and fun show that will ensure the survival of their corps for another year, sometimes that's the biggest challenge that a DCA corps can face over winning.

Everyone here has stated how much they have enjoyed Fusion's show, so therefore it accomplished everything they designed it to. And I'm sure that given they fact that they probably are feeling a little beat up from their score this past week, I don't think they need you, OP, to tell them that there is no hope for them this year because of their show.

Don't pick on the little guy you never know when they are going to grow some muscles and come back with looking for an apology. Don't you ever watch Maury Povich?

• Like 4

Yes, there is a music ensemble judge in the box. Yes, the duties of the brass judge and music ensemble judge overlap. No, the music ensemble judge does not write down a score for brass. No, the music ensemble judge does not only judge brass (some will actually judge visual during a show :huh:). Understand- the point I am making is specific to one sub caption.

Plus if you don't believe moving a judge to a box won't lead to "Ode to a Block Formation" to hide the "ticks" than you're kidding yourself

Yep, because an experienced, talented drill writer wont do their best to hide their weaker players in forms now, but move move the brass judge and boy will those flood gates open. :doh:

Why risk it, if there is no one in your face holding you to an individual standard of excellence.

So really- what I'm getting from this is a corps would be better cutting all their inexperienced players (potentially 40%+ of every corps line) and going out with only performers with 5+ years of experience if they want to win vs. taking on anyone who is willing to work and put forth the effort to learn a new instrument.

Edited by irishbugle

So really- what I'm getting from this is a corps would be better cutting all their inexperienced players (potentially 40%+ of every corps line) and going out with only performers with 5+ years of experience if they want to win vs. taking on anyone who is willing to work and put forth the effort to learn a new instrument.

No, I don't think that's what is being said at all.

For that matter there are some vets who have to work a lot harder to move well and master visual skills adequately. Clumsy people, like ME. :satisfied:

Good drill writers and staff do try hard to put less able people into more challenging situations. Just as good arrangers and instructors don't try and over-write or rewrite parts for some people.

Numbers do matter in terms of what can be attempted.

Also, with the way things are nowadays, you get people with HS competitive experience, which is more valuable than it was BITD, so you effectively do get your "5 year vets" as you describe...

And Robb Muller at Kingston? Another fine percussionist, musician, and person.

:ph34r:

You are correct sir! :worthy:

Robb and fellow percussionist Matt Kettlehut are the 2 biggest reasons MBI and their HORNLINE have made the strides they have in the last 10+ years.. :thumbup:

Drummers can do it too! :bleah:

Pat