The Most Influential Drum Corps Show In History

Refresh my memory Charlie, wasn't the first thing they did in those unis was "William Tell Overture" with a drill move right off the starting line. Was kind of a drill any other corps corps have made... but with those unis it was. :blink:

YES! Knockout look! Great musical selection, too!

Then at the end of WTO, the one DM acted out getting off a horse and then there were the two members in dance outfits going to town in "Land of Make Believe". Yep... whole different world of GE.

Dood, it wasn't just "...the one DM" getting off the horse...it was the WHOLE CORPS! I remember my first thought upon seeing *that* was, "...oh crap, Hoffman, now you gotta clean it!" All the time with a giant smile on my mug! The dancers in "Land of Make Believe" stole the show in concert...cutting edge may be an understatement.

cg

I rest my case, man. :-D

...this was '76, though! By '77 they were actually in the hunt and executing to a high level...'76 was breakout and bash the activity in the collective brain!

cg

Dood, it wasn't just "...the one DM" getting off the horse...it was the WHOLE CORPS! I remember my first thought upon seeing *that* was, "...oh crap, Hoffman, now you gotta clean it!" All the time with a giant smile on my mug! The dancers in "Land of Make Believe" stole the show in concert...cutting edge may be an understatement.

cg

Blame PBS as they only showed one of the DMs doing the move.... <dang I missed the corps doing it>. But I still remember it all these decades later...

Hmmm.... LoMB dancers not in uniform that was a massive "Is that legal" too at the time...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

It's the 1977 Bridgeman. Period.

Feel free to chime in with your own opinion, but know that I'm right, so you probably shouldn't even bother.

Seriously, let it go. You know I'm right, right?

So why are you even bothering with this thread? Let it die of loneliness.

Really now.

But you know that if you don't tell me I'm wrong, you'll only confirm that I'm right, by virtue of you keeping your opinionated piehole shut, correct? So you may as well tell me who you think was more influential than the '77 Bridgemen, unless, of course, you already know that I've said everything that needs to be said in this regard by even mentioning the sheer awesomeness that came out of of that sewer otherwise known as Bayonne, that year, ya dig?

But you know that I'm right, so just walk away now. :thumbup::tongue::worthy:

First corps to come to mind, even before I opened the thread was..

~Bridgemen~

It's late in the discussion, but I'll add SCV 1972. Though the Vanguard made a big splash in 1970, coming out of nowhere to beat Troopers and Cavies, their 1972 show, with the insertion of Fanfare and Allegro and Pilgrim's Prayer (IIRC), took DCI corps in a direction that was, I believe, totally new. SCV's presentation was reserved, sophisticated in a way that was revolutionary. If you listen to pretty much all the corps back then there was a sameness to their presentation styles that's hard to put into words. SCV seemed to announce itself as the harbinger of a new aesthetic, and the judges appeared to love it. They demonstrated that you could take drum corps off in new directions successfully, and immediately corps like BD and the Lancers took off in their own directions. And then came the Bridgemen and Garfield.

• Like 1

It's late in the discussion, but I'll add SCV 1972. Though the Vanguard made a big splash in 1970, coming out of nowhere to beat Troopers and Cavies, their 1972 show, with the insertion of Fanfare and Allegro and Pilgrim's Prayer (IIRC), took DCI corps in a direction that was, I believe, totally new. SCV's presentation was reserved, sophisticated in a way that was revolutionary. If you listen to pretty much all the corps back then there was a sameness to their presentation styles that's hard to put into words. SCV seemed to announce itself as the harbinger of a new aesthetic, and the judges appeared to love it. They demonstrated that you could take drum corps off in new directions successfully, and immediately corps like BD and the Lancers took off in their own directions. And then came the Bridgemen and Garfield.

I totally agree! :worthy: