Indoor Finals

After a year of higher than usual show cancellations due to downpours, it will be a relief to know that the show will go on in Indianapolis. The purists may debate some of the sound quality, but to others that are spending a fair amount of money on flights ,hotels, restaurants, and whatever else, the imperfect sound is a minor trade off compared to the possibility of a financial and logistical disaster. To those of us that cannot be experts, this is some consolation

• Like 6

After a year of higher than usual show cancellations due to downpours, it will be a relief to know that the show will go on in Indianapolis. The purists may debate some of the sound quality, but to others that are spending a fair amount of money on flights ,hotels, restaurants, and whatever else, the imperfect sound is a minor trade off compared to the possibility of a financial and logistical disaster. To those of us that cannot be experts, this is some consolation

I totally agree. The Georgia Dome acoustics are wonderful and anyone that has watched a drum corps show preconditioned indoors will tell you its COOL!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I felt like it was a relatively good year for rain cancellations?

• Like 1

I'll take an echo versus watching the corps buses and trucks drive away from a show they couldn't perform... as I hold my soggy ticket.

Personally, I have this thing about being a human lightning bolt.

At least when a show is rained out during the season, there will always be another show somewhere. If we were ever hit with three days of rain like that which hit Quarterfinals in Foxboro a few years back, and we weren't in a protected environment, we'd be up the creek without a synth. (Not to mention the excruciating heat and humidity Finals day in Foxboro a few years later in 2005.)

It's not a perfect solution, but we won't fully appreciate it until we experience Apocalyptic rain during the week of the World Championships. We have been very, very lucky so far.

Of course, even being in an enclosed environment isn't a 100% guarantee the show will proceed as planned. A few years back, we had a storm delay at the Alamodome because corps weren't allowed off their buses for some time due to a lightning storm.

• Like 1

I agree. Those of us who travel thousands of miles spending thousands of $$$$ in the process support holding finals week in a dome 110%.

I understand the objections with regard to sound but let's be honest, it's a) no brainer and b) the future.

• Like 1

i'll get wet to hear no echo

EXACTLY. This sport is about MUSIC and SOUND. It makes absolutely no logical sense to say that you don't care about the sound as long as you get to watch them march. Huh???

If they are going to do it in domes, then make sure the dome roof is retracted. The ONLY EXCEPTION should be if there is weather. And "hot" does not count.

Also one other note: obviously the recordings in domes have really suffered and interest in DVDs/audio disks will decline because of this. Why don't they do a "studio recording" of each corps, at least for the audio track. It would be done in a very good acoustical setting which would produce amazing tracks (not like the ones in Indy which sound like an amateur organization).

• Like 3

At least when a show is rained out during the season, there will always be another show somewhere. If we were ever hit with three days of rain like that which hit Quarterfinals in Foxboro a few years back, and we weren't in a protected environment, we'd be up the creek without a synth. (Not to mention the excruciating heat and humidity Finals day in Foxboro a few years later in 2005.)

It's not a perfect solution, but we won't fully appreciate it until we experience Apocalyptic rain during the week of the World Championships. We have been very, very lucky so far.

Of course, even being in an enclosed environment isn't a 100% guarantee the show will proceed as planned. A few years back, we had a storm delay at the Alamodome because corps weren't allowed off their buses for some time due to a lightning storm.

Oh and remember that super awesome 3-4 hour rain delay at Quarters in Orlando in '03, after which the field looked nasty.

Up the creek without a Synthesizer. I love it.

Ill take a little echo to keep from Finals being canceled due to electronic issues getting in the way.