How many think Cadets 2 will be the death of other corps

Anyone up for hearing Cabs line up after a show and play "The Lazy Song" by Bruno Mars??? (I chose Cabs as an example because they are known for not playing new music) I think that's worth the $20 ticket for the whole evening right there.

:spitting: Hold on there....the MAJORITY of the Caballero programs over the past decade have consisted of NEW & ORIGINAL music composed specifically for the corps by Chris Bernotas, Key Poulan and Dennis Argul. Unlike other DCA corps who rehash concepts used by DCI corps or even going so far as to buying their old charts using the exact music arrangements as well. For the past 12 years, "your daddy's Caballeros" have been a thing of the past....the corps "traditions" of the past are carried on beautifully by the Caballero Alumni Corps.

"LET'S GO HAWTHORNE!!!!"

I just want to say I welcome a new corps to DCA's ranks. I hope these youngsters can produce the sound of a mature DCA corps. Even if they don't measure up in that category, I'm sure they'll be a credit to our organization, and may well raise the bar for all of us.

Hooray!

:spitting: Hold on there....the MAJORITY of the Caballero programs over the past decade have consisted of NEW & ORIGINAL music composed specifically for the corps by Chris Bernotas, Key Poulan and Dennis Argul. Unlike other DCA corps who rehash concepts used by DCI corps or even going so far as to buying their old charts using the exact music arrangements as well. For the past 12 years, "your daddy's Caballeros" have been a thing of the past....the corps "traditions" of the past are carried on beautifully by the Caballero Alumni Corps.

"LET'S GO HAWTHORNE!!!!"

I've been trying to make that point for the last few years! Still, I believe the general opinion is they play the same thing every year regardless of what kind of facts you, I, or others bring up.

Last years show in particular I really enjoyed.

Jim, based on talking to friends and what I see at shows, here's what it seems like...

most people under 50 don't watch Alumni corps unless it's A) Cabs, B) the home teams Alumni corps c) a special one shot like Star last year or Cavies in 08. And even Cabs dont keep them all around.

I wont use Allentown this year as an example because of the weather, but the previous few years, when Bayonne comes on, a good amount of people get up and leave. The Alumni show in Rochester skews older than prelims and finals do.

I marched between 89 and 96, and of my gang, I know of 3 of us that watch alumni corps. We're mid 30's to mid 40's.

No argument on what I've seen at other places. Quote I remember from a BoD member of an Alumni corps (won't name corps or show it was at) is: "Is it me or do you get the feeling we're playing to each other".

My point is in some ways the competing organizations are heading the same direction. Unless DCA crowds have a lower average age than what I've been seeing and hearing about. Granted the high price seats at Rochester we're usually in ain't exactly priced for people starting out. To get back on topic: maybe C2 will help bring in a younger set with both the corps and crowd.

No argument on what I've seen at other places. Quote I remember from a BoD member of an Alumni corps (won't name corps or show it was at) is: "Is it me or do you get the feeling we're playing to each other".

My point is in some ways the competing organizations are heading the same direction. Unless DCA crowds have a lower average age than what I've been seeing and hearing about. Granted the high price seats at Rochester we're usually in ain't exactly priced for people starting out. To get back on topic: maybe C2 will help bring in a younger set with both the corps and crowd.

Yeah, I have seen some people leave before the Alumni starts or during, but I'm not always sure that it is a dislike of the corps. I was one of the people who sometimes left shows early occasionally, depending upon how bad my back hurt (feel a REALLY old 40 something now...But at least I hurt it doing drum corps!). Sometimes folks leave when the competition is over to get a head start home. So it's not always that Alumnis put people off and they leave-I think there are many variables involved. I have consistantly seen a number of people clapping and excited about the Alumnis as well. Really, I guess we are all acting on ancedotal evidence, so it's kind of hard to draw any hard conclusions.

Yeah, I have seen some people leave before the Alumni starts or during, but I'm not always sure that it is a dislike of the corps. I was one of the people who sometimes left shows early occasionally, depending upon how bad my back hurt (feel a REALLY old 40 something now...But at least I hurt it doing drum corps!). Sometimes folks leave when the competition is over to get a head start home. So it's not always that Alumnis put people off and they leave-I think there are many variables involved. I have consistantly seen a number of people clapping and excited about the Alumnis as well. Really, I guess we are all acting on ancedotal evidence, so it's kind of hard to draw any hard conclusions.

People leaving before the last corps goes off the retreat field??? Say it isn't so Chuck... :rolleyes:

OK kidding as we've seen that stuff for years, not to mention people at MLB games who never saw the ninth inning of any game. But reallize I better get more detailed and say that I was only refering to standstill shows that today have almost all Alumni-type corps. Jeff said something about the Harrisburg show but then posted about Allentown. Haven't been to field shows too much the last few years except for DCA Weekend so haven't seen the recent versions of the "mass exoduses" after the last competing corp leaves the field.

PS - We usually leave "one corps early" too but that's because my wife uses a walker and just a lot safer that way.

My point which got lost somehow was that the Alumni-types aren't the only ones that need to worry about an aging fan base.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

"LET'S GO HAWTHORNE!!!!"

hold on now,..............and with all due respect, as I am huge Cabs fan,..............but within the last decade. they played a complete rehash of 75 Muchachos,..............and, originals written around reoccuring themes of songs by others are not completely original in my book,............

Edited by Gary Matczak

Not sure what it is up north, but there are a lot of younger audience members in the south. Most of the shows are filled with parents, friends, or local high school band members. Maybe shifting finals closer to other regions (or even relocating to other regions every now and then) will attract a younger audience. I don't predict that for next year, but maybe in the future we will see a DCA Finals in Atlanta. I think you would see a good deal of younger audience members.

From what I was told, the audience in Woodstock was close to 1,000 and they were VERY energized.

• Like 1

hold on now,..............and with all due respect, as I am huge Cabs fan,..............but within the last decade. they played a complete rehash of 75 Muchachos,..............and, originals written around reoccuring themes of songs by others are not completely original in my book,............

...well, Gary, he *did* say "majority"...that show represents 10% of a 10 year period? (...but you're right about one thing: There seems to be alot of *bull* in every Cabs show! :thumbup: ).

cg

Not sure what it is up north, but there are a lot of younger audience members in the south. Most of the shows are filled with parents, friends, or local high school band members. Maybe shifting finals closer to other regions (or even relocating to other regions every now and then) will attract a younger audience. I don't predict that for next year, but maybe in the future we will see a DCA Finals in Atlanta. I think you would see a good deal of younger audience members.

From what I was told, the audience in Woodstock was close to 1,000 and they were VERY energized.

1000 is kind of a small show compared to the northeast. But if they can show substantial growth over a series of years, and maybe work on bringing down a headliner or two (a la Winston-Salem), they might be able to show everyone they are capable of hosting a major event.