How many think Cadets 2 will be the death of other corps

And in a couple of years, the creative staff at Cadets2 will start asking for rules changes so their genius isn't stifled and probably throw in how tough it is for "the kids" to transition to a DCI corps when DCA rules are different. And they'll get their way. And in 2020 or when DCA and the brain-trust here is sitting around asking "WTF happened to DCA?", PM me and I'll explain it to you then.

To take this scenario a bit further, GH wants the woodwinds in DCI and eventually they will be in DCI. We all know that...

A few years after DCA will have a "crisis" where it will be argued that DCA will fail if woodwinds are not added. Then if you want to hear (brass & percussion) woodwind and synth free music, it will have been eliminated by "progress." All in order to achieve a certain generic marching band sameness.

To take this scenario a bit further, GH wants the woodwinds in DCI and eventually they will be in DCI. We all know that...

A few years after DCA will have a "crisis" where it will be argued that DCA will fail if woodwinds are not added. Then if you want to hear (brass & percussion) woodwind and synth free music, it will have been eliminated by "progress." All in order to achieve a certain generic marching band sameness.

yawn...

You're half right. George does want woodwinds in DCI. However, he's in a very, very small group. Unlike any key brass, amplification and electronics, there is almost zero support for adding woodwinds among corps designers and instructional staffs. Without that, there is absolutely no chance any rules proposal, no matter who wrote it, would get out of the instructors caucus. Until that happens, it can't even be voted on by the directors.

You're half right. George does want woodwinds in DCI. However, he's in a very, very small group. Unlike any key brass, amplification and electronics, there is almost zero support for adding woodwinds among corps designers and instructional staffs. Without that, there is absolutely no chance any rules proposal, no matter who wrote it, would get out of the instructors caucus. Until that happens, it can't even be voted on by the directors.

Wait, you mean he cant just wave his hand an make it happen??? Could have fooled me...

A few years after DCA will have a "crisis" where it will be argued that DCA will fail if woodwinds are not added. Then if you want to hear (brass & percussion) woodwind

and synth free music, it will have been eliminated by "progress." All in order to achieve a certain generic marching band sameness.

:) [iPhone smiley face] There is some truth to that. IF DCI allows woodwinds there will undoubtedly be people here that start the "if DCA doesn't do this to it will die because

it's not a step closer to marching band" campaign.

And than there will be people like you and I who will be dubbed "anti-progressive" even though I push for and support "modernization" in every program I ever work with.

I don't think we will see saxophones in DCA anytime soon though so it's a moot point.....for now.

Edited by irishbugle

If a thousand older people who want DCA to stay teh way it is really wanted to make sure it continued to work we would all have to hit eh gym and practice every weekend, form 8 new corps, Go to Annapolis next year and crowd out the field to make sure C2 doesn't get into the top ten and get a vote. then all of these new corps can vote in things that they like. If each of those thousand people would invite 20 friends to shows throughout the summer the stands will be full with people watching shows and supporting corps. If we just sit here and take cheapshots through the internet then whoever can find the people willing to practice, march and invite their friends to the shows will decide what kind of a product will be presented.

I'm not complaining about the attention, and im sure the man expects it. What i dont get is the notion that this corps (which does not yet exist) can use its influence on the board (which it does not, and may not have) to steamroll its agenda over a bunch of very powerful people in the dca world that are just going to change their minds over everything they stand for, roll over, and play dead.

if people think DCI BOD meetings have entertainment potential, welcome to DCA

:tongue:

if people think DCI BOD meetings have entertainment potential, welcome to DCA

:tongue:

Here is a video clip of the first meeting where electronics are discussed in DCA...

If I recall correctly, woodwinds are already allowed (and have been for a while) in the I & E portion of the DCI format.

Wait, you mean he cant just wave his hand an make it happen??? Could have fooled me...

You mean GH has to wave his hand? Though he did a Captain Picard and just say "Make it so!". :devil:

Seriously, I go with the people who say DCA is more careful with corps finances than DCI. Let's hope DCA continues to remember that being more small and new corps friendly is what's saved their bacon over the last 15 or years. Adding more crap to the field only helps to kill that (13 corps Prelims again anyone?).

Edited by JimF-LowBari