Blue Stars - Let's Look at Their Show

Hey Bozzly I heard there were quite a few ageouts this year, do u know an estimate? Hope Bstars just had one of those years and they don't have any hangover going into next season! They've become one of my favorite corps especially that Hornline and drumline! Intimidating to say the least!!

I thought this corps should have been scored higher, out of all the corps i've observed all season this corps got railed by the green shirts with much inconsistency as well, I just don't completely understand. In any case for this being my favorite 2011 corps, well done blue stars; get' em next season.

Edited by TimbreDeBrass
  • Like 1

How is this a stab at the Blue Stars? They used to be based in LaCrosse (I think that their administrative home is still there) but all camps are in Indianapolis, right?

Yes. But only if it's also The Indiana Scouts. And The Troopers' road home lead them to Lebannon Indiana (suburb of Indianapolis).

But I'm guessing you just don't know the full story, so I'll give you a pass. Yes, the corps spends winter camps/ most of move ins in Indiana, but after that they take a week in LaCrosse, practicing in the stadium, getting a laundry day to explore, go door to door selling raffle tickets, and preforming for the minor league baseball team. As a former member, I will always think of LaX fondly.

• Like 2

Not sure about # of ageouts this year, not really too worried about it, they'll be fine.

Good to hear!!

I think that the Shapiro ship has finally sailed its last voyage and sunk with the Stars. Need to get a top notch guard caption head that can bring the talent and the creative maturity; not a crutch of props! BonVoyage Tarpon man!

I'm willing to give Sullivan one or two more years.

Not too impressed with the job the visual staff did, either! They were definitely "out of step" with things!

Drum staff; retain, retain, retain! They got the job done and have that section on the right path!

Yeah, I'm griping; but I really, really expected more from that corps. The show concept was awesome; but, in the end, it just didn't climb the ladder as everyone was hoping. It's my hope that the talent will stay with the Blue Stars and not leave. It's also my hope that actions will be taken and evaluations will take place to get the corps up to the level that a lot of folks would like.

Edited by shortn'sour
  • Like 3

I think that the Shapiro ship has finally sailed its last voyage and sunk with the Stars. Need to get a top notch guard caption head that can bring the talent and the creative maturity; not a crutch of props! BonVoyage Tarpon man!

Not too impressed with the job the visual staff did, either! They were definitely "out of step" with things!

Drum staff; retain, retain, retain! They got the job done and have that section on the right path!

Yeah, I'm griping; but I really, really expected more from that corps. The show concept was awesome; but, in the end, it just didn't climb the ladder as everyone was hoping. It's my hope that the talent will stay with the Blue Stars and not leave. It's also my hope that actions will be taken and evaluations will take place to get the corps up to the level that a lot of folks would like.

what is your marching experience?

I'm not sure this is fair.

Shapiro was the man behind the "Houdini" show, which I thought was VERY well received by the general drum corps fan population. He does have a habit of writing a pretty tough guard show, but I like that because I like whatever challenges the members. When the brass aren't able to perform a certain section perfectly, the brass staff changes it to make it easier. With Shapiro, he doesn't water it down - he makes it even harder, if anything. And that is something I can respect. As far as complaints against Shapiro, I think maybe part of the problem is that he may need some guard techs who are a little more assertive and can run rehearsal more efficiently.

As far as the props, I haven't heard anyone complain of the Blue Devils' props. They had 12 2x4x8 planks of wood, 12 wooden asterix looking things, 5 large white cubes, and a giant black and white jump rope, not to mention colorguard that looked like Good 'n Plenty. And no one has been calling them bando-ish?

The Blue Devils had giant mirrors on their field last year, which cut the field size drastically - much more so than the Blue Stars' scaffolding - yet the Blue Devils were never penalized for not using the full field. In fact, they WON!

So before you go and comment on the Blue Stars, don't forget that there are corps that take this even further, and have success with it.

The problem with the Blue Stars' show is 1) the music wasn't diverse enough, and the ballad was lacking emotional content, and 2) the drill was lacking in originality.

That is why their GE scores were low. The show was fast, exciting and difficult, but it was flat and one-dimensional.

Let's put this in perspective. The Blue Stars have really not been in the mix of things for a long, long time until just a couple years ago, and had an off year, and STILL MADE FINALS. This has to say a lot about how special this group is.

Edited by BoyWonder1911
  • Like 2