The OFFICIAL 2012 Prediction Thread

I'm still looking forward to that corps with one member making the Saturday show during finals week. It will be interesting to see what he or she will do! :rolleyes:

It'd be guaranteed to be the longest solo played in DCI history, if nothing else.

I decide to go ahead and make a new list of predictions since we now know what music the corps will be performing for the most part. So I reached into my closet to pull an my crystal ball just to find a large crack that I had not previously seen. I wonder how far back this has affected my predictions? So in a moment of desperation I pulled out an old Ouija Board. I tried let it know about the programs for each Corps and it told me that it had known this information for decades... It also told me it knew the winner of next years Super Bowl but i told it I didn't care or pro football.

So here are my and to a greater extent my Ouija Boards predictions.

1. Carolina Crown

2. Phantom Regiment

3. Blue Devils

4. Cadets

5. Boston Crusaders

6. Cavaliers

7. Santa Clara

8. Bluecoats

9. Spirit of Atlanta

10. Blue Knights

11. The Academy

12. Crossman

13. Madison Scouts

14. Blue Stars...

15. Glassmen

16. Jersey Surf

17. Troopers

This list is of course subject to change.. I haven't read the tea leaves yet.

hehehe, love this!

Edited by thirdcoast
  • Like 1

Bluecoats have medaled once. I don't think the kids that go to the Bluecoats are much different than the ones that would go to Vanguard. Plus they are on opposite ends of the country, so they would attract the talented kids of those areas.

BK jumped 2 places because the Blue Stars had a less than desirable show design and the judges hit them hard because of it. BK did manage to jump Madison last year as well though. However, Madison is seeing some good changes this year, and both theirs and especially the Blue Stars' shows look to be a big step in the right direction.

Don't get me wrong, BK is a very fine corps, and I would never wish ill upon a corps. I am just stating my opinions and how I don't agree with your reasoning.

Both of these corps have released some info about their shows, but not that much.

Madison has told us they are play Pictures at an Exhibition, and "Madison Classics" Well what are these "Madison Classics"? Their show won't really do anything for me until I get a better idea of what they are actually playing. Madison's biggest weakness is their visual program (marching in particular), until this is addressed they won't have taken the big step in the right direction they need to. The percussion has also been a weakness, but that caption has also been addressed.

Blue Stars gave us a list of rep, but nothing concrete. As I said in a different thread it is nice to see a new composer being used (Streitenfeld). There are many Dvorak pieces that can be used, but I am wondering if/ hoping that their show title is a play on words. (Blue World/New World) Won't know that until the first show or they release it themselves before tour. Last year the Blue Stars were killed by the judges because of their visual program, which was all related to a very poor drill design. They have a new drill writer in Rosander, if he writes them good drill that will definitely be the step in the right direction they need. Shapiro also needs to not overwrite for the guard again this year, last year was too much for them, but I think that also had to do with the drill.

I think these are two corps that have the potential to make some moves up this year. Two solid horn lines. Previous years weaknesses addressed. We have to see if the new hires work out or not though to see if they took steps in the right directions. AND the 8-12 pack is getting very talented, so there will be some tough competition.

Edited by Mr.Potato.Head
  • Like 1

Both of these corps have released some info about their shows, but not that much.

Madison has told us they are play Pictures at an Exhibition, and "Madison Classics" Well what are these "Madison Classics"? Their show won't really do anything for me until I get a better idea of what they are actually playing. Madison's biggest weakness is their visual program (marching in particular), until this is addressed they won't have taken the big step in the right direction they need to. The percussion has also been a weakness, but that caption has also been addressed.

Blue Stars gave us a list of rep, but nothing concrete. As I said in a different thread it is nice to see a new composer being used (Streitenfeld). There are many Dvorak pieces that can be used, but I am wondering if/ hoping that their show title is a play on words. (Blue World/New World) Won't know that until the first show or they release it themselves before tour. Last year the Blue Stars were killed by the judges because of their visual program, which was all related to a very poor drill design. They have a new drill writer in Rosander, if he writes them good drill that will definitely be the step in the right direction they need. Shapiro also needs to not overwrite for the guard again this year, last year was too much for them, but I think that also had to do with the drill.

I think these are two corps that have the potential to make some moves up this year. Two solid horn lines. Previous years weaknesses addressed. We have to see if the new hires work out or not though to see if they took steps in the right directions. AND the 8-12 pack is getting very talented, so there will be some tough competition.

I see what you mean with Madison - they definitely need to step up their visual game if they want to move up. I guess we will have to see what happens in June...

Blue Stars got Rosander, which I also think is a step in the right direction. I can't see them using another huge prop this year after all the grief it caused last year, nor can I see Rosander writing drill around an excessive prop.

• Like 1

To be fair, BK has not really given the public anything to be excited about. They're the only corps in the top 12 that hasn't officially announced even a hint to their show. It's understandable that people would count them out because nobody knows what's going on in Denver. Do predictions matter? No. Will BK show up at the first show and prove everyone wrong? Possibly.

As for Vanguard, the incoming staff from both Phantom and Bluecoats is meant to address their biggest flaws - Music/Brass. Phantom 09 suffered from visual design issues, not music. The Bluecoats staff is also not used to a corps that medals, since it has only happened once, so I don't think the discrepancy of talent is as large as you might think. They're definitely good educators, seeing as they salvaged a hornline that suffered from an overly difficult difficult visual design last year, with brass finishing in 5th over Phantom.

In the end, the past cannot be used to predict the future, no matter how hard we try. Wish the best to everyone performing this summer. Yay, band.

You, sir, are my favorite. :worthy:

So after getting a better idea of what's gone on musically and finding out some things about certain corps musical selections, I will revise my predictions

1-5

Blue Devils-they know the game and how to play it. I don't see them falling below 5th (let alone 3rd). This seems like a very guard oriented show and will probably earn them a 5th consecutive guard champion award. I don't know how they'll do musically seeing as how much they are playing really chopped up versions of their musical selections. Still, they will be on top and I hope it's along the same lines entertainment wise as last season.

Crown-This seems like a show I can get into from them that isn't bundled with cheese. Last time that happened was 06. Their horns will be great and knowing their vis staff personally, they will be cleaner. Ron Hardin know how to clean drill no matter where he's at.

Bluecoats-Ok, so I know their music rep due to still having friends in the corps. Not saying anything about it so don't ask! All I can say is that they are playing some stuff never to have hit the field, some stuff that has by both corps that have won and haven't won. What they plan on doing visually is pretty cool and what I've heard of the hornline sounds like the old staff never left :thumbup: . And it's their 40th so I'm sure they're going to be pushing for something special to happen whatever that is.

Cavaliers-They'll be great since the only thing changing is their drill writer. To my knowledge, the vis, music and guard staff is all the same. Show looks fun and can't wait to see it!

SCV-They will be better/cleaner but after hearing a draft of what the opener is, I'm not too sold. Sounded like Shaw was trying to change his style of writing way too much. But the horns sound leagues better and drums are great. I hope they make the changes needed to make this show a little bit more appealing to the ears.

6-8

Cadets-I'm not seeing this show going very far and based off of their recent trend of medal, not medal every two years since 03, I can see them falling. Just a feeling.

Phantom-As much as classic old school Phantom is great, I still don't think that this will do as well as Juliet especially if they go with the high school drill again.

Boston-This show is going to be sick! If they do well enough I can see a top 5 finish for them or even higher! Love the title and the rep!

9-11

BK-With their recent success I can see them staying in this grouping but don't quite know what they really need to do in order to move up.

Madison-As much as I'd like to see this group create a more competitive run towards the top, I think all these changes that are being made to them need to settle in a bit more before they actually start to move up in the rankings and getting back so rivaling some of the other teams again.

Blue Stars-I can see them moving back up again since they have been up there but their design needs actually be better and not seem better than last season. Love this corps a lot and wish them the best.

This will be the spot that will once again be challenged for again and again for the rest of DCI's existence. Too many good corps never make it in and someone different has been here every year since 2007. I like this trend and hope it helps keeps the corps in the none finalist tier alive with members. I don't know who it will be but I'm pretty sure that last seasons 12-18 will be challenging for this. I have high hopes for Academy, Bones, Troop and PC

• Like 2

Interesting to see that most predictions are expecting the Cadets to drop but the Cavies to maintain.

Really?

Not what I expected to see.

Too much stuff going behind the scenes, coupled with a show that doesn't seem to be exciting many. I see them out of the top 5.

• Like 2

Phantom-As much as classic old school Phantom is great, I still don't think that this will do as well as Juliet especially if they go with the high school drill again.

Glad somebody else noticed. :tongue:

Edited by blazek
  • Like 1

Too much stuff going behind the scenes, coupled with a show that doesn't seem to be exciting many. I see them out of the top 5.

^^^^^^^^^ THIS.

It will be interesting to see how layman will react to this show. Imagine being a high school kid going to their first corps show. "Cool because its recognizable" or "WTF because its Christmas". Also it will be interesting to see how "We Need A Liitle Christmas" goes over along the parade routes. Theres alot people who know absolutely nothing about DCI that go to those parades....."honey, are they playing what I think their playing? Do they know its July?"

More importantly it will be interesting to see how corps members react to having to practice/perform Christmas music for almost 9 months (since camp), personally I know i'm tired of listening to it after 1 month.

I think of all the show announcements this is the one im most curious about....dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

• Like 1