ENOUGH!

Enough? Isn't that the crappy movie with Billy Campbell where he beats up JLo? (I'm sorry...I shouldn't put down a movie like that on a message board) :devil:

• Like 1

Enough? Isn't that the crappy movie with Billy Campbell where he beats up JLo? (I'm sorry...I shouldn't put down a movie like that on a message board) :devil:

Yes. And "Enough is Enough" is part of the Barbra Streisand disco era songbook. I don't know which was crappier. "Enough" or "Enough is Enough."

• Like 1

This will by no means be popular as it hasn't been so far, but I have had enough of people's blind ideologies getting in the way of realism. Just as members must be held accountable every day of a dci season for their performance, staffs must be equally accountable (and most even more so because they receive payment for their services), for their lack of design greatness and inability to instruct in ways that bring out the best in members. DCI is a competitive business as much as it is a learning experience for members who pay to be there. Again, if the activity should simply be about building relationships and playing at stadiums, then drop the judging system and the concept of "competition" out of the activity. But, some people on this forum need to understand that there is a balance in DCI between performance/experience and business. DCI HAS BOTH!!!

• Like 4

This will by no means be popular as it hasn't been so far, but I have had enough of people's blind ideologies getting in the way of realism. Just as members must be held accountable every day of a dci season for their performance, staffs must be equally accountable (and most even more so because they receive payment for their services), for their lack of design greatness and inability to instruct in ways that bring out the best in members. DCI is a competitive business as much as it is a learning experience for members who pay to be there. Again, if the activity should simply be about building relationships and playing at stadiums, then drop the judging system and the concept of "competition" out of the activity. But, some people on this forum need to understand that there is a balance in DCI between performance/experience and business. DCI HAS BOTH!!!

What he said. Life's not all sunshine and lollipops

• Like 3

Absolutely, staff and designers should be held accountable to the members for the experience they create. However, who's to say that that experience should be any based around any particular set of priorities. Not once did I audition for a drum corps because I thought I'd win a medal. That's not to begrudge my friend his choice to do just that. Again, different corps have different identities, and members march different places for a myriad of reasons. Who are we to say what any of those reasons should or shouldn't be. Should a staff member be held accountable? Sure, but only accountable to the ideals that that corps has decided are important. If the corps is happy with the direction of a given program, then that is enough, regardless of placement. If you don't think that's happening, then you aren't paying attention to the high staff turnover that exists in modern drum corps.

I would much rather see the attention(or in your words) trashing of the design staffs than have to read the nastiness heaped upon the judges by some of the more ravenous fans of the corps mentioned. Particularly that done by some of the Scouts fans. I just hope that that corps in particular makes the staffing changes necessary to get back in the top 6 where they belong. No more scatter drills and follow the leader. I want them to have a show worthy of their talent and their commitment to excellence!

Edited by musclebud

Sorry, but I feel the need to play devils' advocate. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions folks. I personally don't have a problem with fans and alums aiming their frustrations at the staff for things they don't like in a corps because that's exactly where it should be directed. As long as you are making a point not to blame the performers, fire away. Sure, I respect people's opinions that believe such talk is juvenile, but not everyone sees it that way nor do they have to. The same thing happens to sports coaching staffs all the time due to competitive reasons. It's all part of the game folks.

• Like 2

I am not suggesting for a minute that drum corps staffs and designers shouldn't be held accountable for the work they do. As a matter of fact, given what some designers are paid these days, accountability is expected. My point was that addressing these grievances through the quasi-anonymous outlet of DCP is not effective and serves only to embarass individuals.

I recall several years ago a thread (supposedly by supporters) trashing Phantom's guard staff, even to the point of mentioning their names and some of the kids' names. Some of the threads this past weekend came close to this.

If I had complaints or grievances with the drum corps I support, I would either email the corps diector or pick up the phone. The corps could take my advice or not, but I would NOT drag my issues out into a public forum such as this.

Is DCP really the place to complain about how clean the restrooms are in the Glassmen's rehearsal facility? Come on.

Finally, I've been around this activity since 1977. No, it is not all sunshine and lollipops. But, perhaps some people on DCP should try to be more constructive and direct with their suggestions. Contact the corps directly with your concerns. Public flogging only makes recruiting and financial support more difficult for the corps whom you claim to support. Anything else is simply talk radio.

Edited by craiga
  • Like 5

I am not suggesting for a minute that drum corps staffs and designers shouldn't be held accountable for the work they do. As a matter of fact, given what some designers are paid these days, accountability is expected. My point was that addressing these grievances through the quasi-anonymous outlet of DCP is not effective and serves only to embarass individuals.

I recall several years ago a thread (supposedly by supporters) trashing Phantom's guard staff, even to the point of mentioning their names and some of the kids' names. Some of the threads this past weekend came close to this.

If I had complaints or grievances with the drum corps I support, I would either email the corps diector or pick up the phone. The corps could take my advice or not, but I would NOT drag my issues out into a public forum such as this.

Is DCP really the place to complain about how clean the restrooms are in the Glassmen's rehearsal facility? Come on.

Finally, I've been around this activity since 1977. No, it is not all sunshine and lollipops. But, perhaps some people on DCP should try to be more constructive and direct with their suggestions. Contact the corps directly with your concerns. Public flogging only makes recruiting and financial support more difficult for the corps whom you claim to support. Anything else is simply talk radio.

Edited by splat-a-drag-a-phonium