Update on PR legend Marty Hurley

Per John's request, I will continue to post updates for those interested in Marty's condition. Please keep him in your prayers.

John Wooton I have some good news!! Marty moved his left leg today and held up two fingers when asked to. At times he is able to answer yes and no with head movement. He made eye contact with his wife, Paulette, and got a little choked up with a chin quiver when two students from Brother Martin came by to let him know how much they missed him and that his new street beat was awesome! Thank you for all your prayers and flam paradiddles. It is overwhelming.

• Like 6

Per John's request, I will continue to post updates for those interested in Marty's condition. Please keep him in your prayers.

John Wooton I have some good news!! Marty moved his left leg today and held up two fingers when asked to. At times he is able to answer yes and no with head movement. He made eye contact with his wife, Paulette, and got a little choked up with a chin quiver when two students from Brother Martin came by to let him know how much they missed him and that his new street beat was awesome! Thank you for all your prayers and flam paradiddles. It is overwhelming.

Y'know, normally hospitals want it nice & quiet for their patients...but somehow I suspect that if his students came in ramming that cadence and nailed it in his room, he'd recover that much faster!

• Like 4

Thoughts and prayers for Marty. Get well soon sir!

During the Regiment snare camps we used to say, "Wow, who is the kid beating the bejeezsus out of the drum?" from downstairs in the office as they were upstairs. Then we would walk up and realize it was Marty.

Get well Marty!

drumcamp.jpg

Here's the address:

Tulane Medical Center » 1415 Tulane Ave New Orleans, LA 70112 » Room 4405

Let's flood him with cards! What a boost that would be for his spirits. He's a fighter. ;)

Repost- from John Wooton: Just saw Marty. Really great news... Paulette, his wife, Jimmy, his brother, Ray Franscen, local drummer, and myself went into the room. I brought a drum stick. He was holding a stuffed bunny with his left hand. I ...put the stick in his hand, matched grip, and asked him if he knew what that was. He started squeezing over and over. I asked him if he wanted me to read the hundreds of facebook messages and he shook his head no. If you know Marty, you know that he doesn't like a fuss. So, that was an expected reaction. I asked him if he wanted me to leave the drum stick and he shook his head yes. I then asked him if he wanted to hold it matched or traditional. He was holding it matched and let go of the stick. I put the stick in his hand traditional grip and fixed his hand on the stick. He even pulled his pinky back and middle finger straight. He then tapped the stick on his leg. He now won't let go of the stick. It was a beautiful moment. It was a Cooperman, I should have put a cheaper stick in his hand cause I don't think I am going to get that one back.

Repost- from John Wooton: Just saw Marty. Really great news... Paulette, his wife, Jimmy, his brother, Ray Franscen, local drummer, and myself went into the room. I brought a drum stick. He was holding a stuffed bunny with his left hand. I ...put the stick in his hand, matched grip, and asked him if he knew what that was. He started squeezing over and over. I asked him if he wanted me to read the hundreds of facebook messages and he shook his head no. If you know Marty, you know that he doesn't like a fuss. So, that was an expected reaction. I asked him if he wanted me to leave the drum stick and he shook his head yes. I then asked him if he wanted to hold it matched or traditional. He was holding it matched and let go of the stick. I put the stick in his hand traditional grip and fixed his hand on the stick. He even pulled his pinky back and middle finger straight. He then tapped the stick on his leg. He now won't let go of the stick. It was a beautiful moment. It was a Cooperman, I should have put a cheaper stick in his hand cause I don't think I am going to get that one back.

I don't know how you got through that without weeping. Reading about it chokes me up.

• Like 1