This bothered me... A lot.

Why does it have to be competitive???? And I doubt my old school or the local school would allow volunteers off the street (aka total strangers). First you and they would have to go thru background check paperwork and then fight the school board on how many people can work with the band.

s/ Guy who was in a non-competing band for reasons I agreed with.

Go to Boston show next year or any other DCI show and i think it will answer your concerns. The kids are well taken care of.

• Like 1

Go to Boston show next year or any other DCI show and i think it will answer your concerns. The kids are well taken care of.

Sorry but don't understand the response. I'm sure the DCI corps have the background checks and have the money and know how to work with volunteers. HS bands I'm familiar with have their usual staff members but volunteers are out of their experience or is a Band Booster responsibility.

Remember I'm responding to a poster who asked why DC Alumni don't work with the local bands.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Sorry but don't understand the response. I'm sure the DCI corps have the background checks and have the money and know how to work with volunteers. HS bands I'm familiar with have their usual staff members but volunteers are out of their experience or is a Band Booster responsibility.

Remember I'm responding to a poster who asked why DC Alumni don't work with the local bands.

Hi JimF, I'm NOT sure all DCI corps do background checks on all staff and volunteers. I'm also not sure how well corps work with volunteers either. I'm not saying they aren't capable, I'm saying I don't know with any certainty, to agree to a global statement like that. There can be a lot of volunteer help; and some corps having very tight budgets, are happy to have anyone help them out in a number of capacities. And there-in lay the cracks that things fall through.

HS bands are a whole other animal. I would have to believe that nowdays, school distrcts (I know mine does) have very strict policies about anyone who may be around the kids. Anyone who does volunteer to help for any length of time (long term or short term) MUST have a background check before they can be accepted as a volunteer school helper, acedemically, recreationally or socially.

Hi JimF, I'm NOT sure all DCI corps do background checks on all staff and volunteers. I'm also not sure how well corps work with volunteers either. I'm not saying they aren't capable, I'm saying I don't know with any certainty, to agree to a global statement like that. There can be a lot of volunteer help; and some corps having very tight budgets, are happy to have anyone help them out in a number of capacities. And there-in lay the cracks that things fall through.

HS bands are a whole other animal. I would have to believe that nowdays, school distrcts (I know mine does) have very strict policies about anyone who may be around the kids. Anyone who does volunteer to help for any length of time (long term or short term) MUST have a background check before they can be accepted as a volunteer school helper, acedemically, recreationally or socially.

No idea on the DCI side myself and saw enough volunteers at the Cadets/Crossmen camps at Gettysburg, PA to doubt everyone gets a background check. But I'd be very surprised if they don't get a list of do's/don'ts about working with the youth. I was on church counsel when they started background check and got a lot of training WHY the checks are needed.

That and the PA State Police and Nationwide <forget the term> checks say I'm clean..

IMO I would think that if the Band directors could manage the concerns of the school, parents and Band Boosters. This is done all the time with other activities such as sports. These shows have police presents from start to end of the show. I would think that most parents would take a interest in their kids activity and attend the show also. There are many of Boston Alumni and past instructor's that both teach and are involved with Bands and drum corp all over the U.S.

I have noticed this as well with the Lawrence shows. Marching band is pretty dead in Massachusetts for one. As for me I have two kids who are now college age and I subjected them to many drum corps shows over the years -even finals when it came to Foxboro/Providence. To be honest (my kids) just didn't catch the Drum Corps bug so to speak like I did when I was a kid. Growing up in Boston every church parish had a drum corps or a CYO Band. The summers were spent competing. It just doesn't seem like a very popular medium here in the Boston and Massachusetts area.

IMO I would think that if the Band directors could manage the concerns of the school, parents and Band Boosters. This is done all the time with other activities such as sports. These shows have police presents from start to end of the show. I would think that most parents would take a interest in their kids activity and attend the show also. There are many of Boston Alumni and past instructor's that both teach and are involved with Bands and drum corp all over the U.S.

Again only talking about DC Alumnis working with the bands (not the shows) as I think that's what the poster was referring to.

I'd like to share a few thoughts about this particular show, in no particular order..

First, someone mentioned that perhaps it is an aging facilty...it is not. Veterans Memorial Stadium in Lawrence, MA was completely renovated in 2007. It is an ultramodern, superclean facility with huge stands and a beautiful turf field surface.

Liahona, I KNOW you can provide us with a pic..... :cool:

In terms of this facility, I agree with Craiga it is super clean and I'll add TOP NOTCH all the way. I was impressed with the restroom facilities in particular as being VERY clean and well maintained. I cannot say the same for a lot of other drum corps venues I've attended over the years.

lvms.png

While I don't have hard figures on the Aug 4th show attendance, my estimate would be SUBSTANTIALLY higher than 2000...in fact, I believe they sold out the reserve seats.

The reserve section was sold out to my knowledge...With an awesome crowd and VIBE to boot... :smile:

The biggest reason for the "older" fans, is that there are thousands of drum corps alums in the Boston area...don't forget that in the early 80s, we had 5 World Class Corps and more than 25 Open Class (Div ii-iii) corps, and these folks are all still around.

This area for as long as I can remember has a huge legacy fan following. I've been to other shows all around the country in different years and I would have to say that the fans at this show are some of the most respectful in the entire country towards all the corps. I traveled 185 miles to this show...I'm sure I was not the furthest draw either.

With regard to marching bands in New England (and this is an activity with which I am very involved), the predominant circuit around here is NESBA. I think there are a total of about 30 high schools bands who compete, but keep in mind that all but a half dozen or so have anywhere from 25-60 members. With a few notable exceptions, we do NOT have the huge bands like they do in FL and TX around here. I teach the largest band in Maine, (South Portland) and we top out at about 75 members.

I can only speak for my state which is Connecticut (Also part of New England BTW! :smile: ). In 2001, The Musical Arts Conference (M.A.C) MAC website here, a coalition of Music Educators formed a non-profit organization, in order to create a professional and educational outlet for high school ensembles to compete in. All M.A.C members were eligible to participate in marching band, winter guard, winter percussion, jazz ensemble, and concert band competitions. I will add that marching band is HUGE in my town. Both high schools compete (Brien McMahon and Norwalk HS)and are also part of this particular organization.

North of the border is Londonderry (New Hampshire)High School with a band size between 300-400 members each year. Pinkerton Academy has smaller numbers but well over 100 each year. Salem (New Hampshire) is no slouch either. Each is 30 minutes from Boston. Both are REALLY close to Nashua New Hampshire (the home of the Spartans). Might want to start looking at these programs for future recruitment for exisiting D & B's?

Would like to point out the East Coast Jazz is attempting to make a return. Also, I took 3 guys 2 their first dci show last summer. One switched to trombone and Bari, and he and I are going to audition @ hurcs next summer. One was angry and sullen, for some reason, and one has decided he will be contra section leader for Carolina Crown. I appreciated the different responses. I hope dci and dca both make a return to Mass. Also, can cape cod get a corps going