Make Finals outdoors, PLEASE!

Do you sit in your house with all your windows and doors open and have your AC on full blast??

YES! who doesn't!

Do you sit in your house with all your windows and doors open and have your AC on full blast??

I DO close off a room of the house that I am using, and turn the air conditioner on so that room is comfortable WITHOUT having to cool the whole house. It CAN be done...

Why? Allentown has artificial turf now.

True but I was thinking more of DCA 2006, if Ernesto had been one day later....

While I don't like the diminished acoustics at an indoor venue, the risk of cancelling a program due to weather is too great with as many people spending lots of money to travel to finals. I can't imagine paying as much as we do to see finals and having it cancelled. For this reason alone, keep it indoors.

True but I was thinking more of DCA 2006, if Ernesto had been one day later....

That would have been bad. On the other hand, let's remember that the show did go on despite Ernesto. So did the '99 finals in the rain, on natural grass.

No one wants finals to take place in adverse conditions. Thing is, some people consider dome acoustics to be an "adverse condition".

That would have been bad. On the other hand, let's remember that the show did go on despite Ernesto. So did the '99 finals in the rain, on natural grass.

No one wants finals to take place in adverse conditions. Thing is, some people consider dome acoustics to be an "adverse condition".

Didn't make it that year but have the DVDs of the shows that could be recorded. Yeah, one of those 6 of one, half dozen of the other deals as good and bad on both sides. Don't like inside shows and heard the echo complaints from the members of my corps who go to DCI Finals. But what would happen to DCI or DCAs financial picture if Championships week/weekend for either circuit took a huge hit for any reason. Perfect world would be outside and an inside venue "just in case" but of course we don't live in a perfect world.

Man can you image the paycheck to hold two places for Championships? That would be a budget killer too.

Edit: Think some members of Buccs and Cabs want to talk about 1975 DCA also. :tongue: (Couple of big rain storms in the middle of Finals. Then scores were annonuced to an empty field as the monsoon started just as the last corps left the field.)

Edited by JimF-LowBari

But what would happen to DCI or DCAs financial picture if Championships week/weekend for either circuit took a huge hit for any reason.

That could be a problem (see DCI circa 1993). Or maybe not (never heard of DCA being on death's door due to inclement weather in '75, '87, '88, '93, '99, '06, etc.). I guess that depends on several factors....fiscal health....what percentage of the org's revenue comes from championships....championship format (i.e. how many events/days are there, and how many of those are affected by weather)....rain insurance....the list goes on.

Like the tradeoff between "adverse conditions" of weather vs. acoustics, the financial calculation of a lower but more stable finals crowd in LOS was an acknowledged strategic tradeoff by DCI. Also part of that strategy was the idea of making more revenue from other DCI major events, rather than putting all the revenue eggs in the championship-week basket. So it would seem that DCI strategists had your concern in mind as they developed the Indy deal and other plans over the past five years.

It doesn't. There are multiple heating and air zones, and during Colts games, the AC (or heat) still runs in the club areas, concourses, the restrooms, concessions, you name it. This isn't 1950 despite what some believe on here, and they can easily control every area to their choosing. It's not all or nothing as some are falsely reporting to be the case.

Thank you for understanding.

• Like 1